inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs from past decades you havent heard until recently...

Written By: Dude111 on 10/04/18 at 11:07 pm

Interesting how many songs that we were alive in the decade they were made WE DIDNT HEAR and many we still havent!!

Like DAN HARTMANS song "We are the young" - 1984 -- I dont remember that song @ all.... I remember I CAN DREAM ABOUT YOU which i dont think is as good as the first song on that album!!

A couple weeks ago I got a 4 record set "American top 40 with casey casem" (12/1/84 show)) and this song is #28 . I love it!!!!

I dunno why they didnt play this more in the 80s.... They played I CAN DREAM ABOUT YOU like crazy and I dont think that is as good!!

What have you heard recently that you didnt hear then?? (Since you have been alive)

Subject: Re: Songs from past decades you havent heard until recently...

Written By: nally on 10/05/18 at 11:32 am

Well... going back a ways, a lot of 80's songs were "new" to me from 1996 through the early 2000s (that is, I never heard them until then).

And there were some 90's songs that were "new" to me in the early-mid 2000s. For example, "Ready To Go" by Republica; that one was popular in 1996 but I never remember hearing it then; first time I heard it was in '01.

Written By: meesa on 10/05/18 at 7:54 pm

Great topic!

A few years ago, Sia's Chandelier was hugely popular; I didn't care for it- maybe because it was played overmuch. I don't know, I just didn't like it and it annoyed me.
Well fast forward a bit. I was going on a Youtube adventure that I will sometimes do, where I pick a music video, set it to autoplay and then go do other things while I listen to whatever random stuff YT throws at me. Sometimes it's good, sometimes not so much, but usually it's interesting. A song came on that I thought was really good. The singer sounded familiar and when I looked to see what was playing I saw that it was Sia. Hmm! Well, I pulled up a playlist of Sia and started listening to her other music and found song after song that I really enjoy. Cheap Thrills, Elastic heart, so so many. I had dismissed a singer based on one song, and it was a mistake. This is the song that made me 'discover' Sia.

t1x8DMfbYN4

Written By: annimal on 10/05/18 at 10:12 pm

I was born in the 80's but only seem to know very few of them even now

Written By: whistledog on 10/05/18 at 11:05 pm

Wooly Bully by BTO.  It was from a film called 'American Boyfriends' and was a minor hit in Canada in late 1989.  I knew it was a cover song and I always knew their version existed, but I'd never heard it until just recently when I found a copy

Written By: annimal on 10/05/18 at 11:23 pm

I didn't know it was a cover, but I seem to have known this song.

Written By: nally on 03/06/20 at 12:41 am

Great topic!

A few years ago, Sia's Chandelier was hugely popular; I didn't care for it- maybe because it was played overmuch. I don't know, I just didn't like it and it annoyed me.
Well fast forward a bit. I was going on a Youtube adventure that I will sometimes do, where I pick a music video, set it to autoplay and then go do other things while I listen to whatever random stuff YT throws at me. Sometimes it's good, sometimes not so much, but usually it's interesting. A song came on that I thought was really good. The singer sounded familiar and when I looked to see what was playing I saw that it was Sia. Hmm! Well, I pulled up a playlist of Sia and started listening to her other music and found song after song that I really enjoy. Cheap Thrills, Elastic heart, so so many. I had dismissed a singer based on one song, and it was a mistake. This is the song that made me 'discover' Sia.

I only "discovered" Sia when her 2016 hit "Cheap Thrills" got released/played on the radio.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/06/20 at 6:14 am

In the last 6 months I think I’ve heard “I’ve been thinking about you” by London beat more than I heard it back in the early 90s. Good song though, nice throwback.

Written By: nally on 12/31/21 at 10:25 pm

In the last 6 months I think I’ve heard “I’ve been thinking about you” by London beat more than I heard it back in the early 90s. Good song though, nice throwback.

I can relate. I wasn’t listening to pop music regularly back then either, so I may have vague recollections of it (I was 10 1/2 years old when said song was popular), but in later years I started enjoying it.

Written By: nally on 12/31/21 at 10:27 pm

Anyway, there are plenty of songs from before I was born that I really enjoy.

Check for new replies or respond here...