inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How would you rank your high school years?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 10/19/18 at 9:54 pm

Since this topic was brought up in my last live stream, and since we here on inthe00s share a passion for discussing our experiences with popular and political culture as well as our personal lives, I thought this would make for a good thread.

How did you enjoy each of your high school years, or how are you enjoying them now if you're younger and still in? Based on your personal experiences regarding your peers, classes, the pop culture or politics surrounding that year, or what was happening in your personal life, how did you enjoy each year overall, and how would you rank them from first to last? I'd also like this thread to be for discussion if I or another user finds common ground with or something intriguing about the said experience of another user, discussions regarding our own experiences are always fun, just make sure you're being respectful in doing so.  :)

Subject: Re: How would you rank your high school years?

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/20/18 at 5:23 pm

From best to worst:

Sophomore --> Junior --> Freshman --> Senior

Unfortunately my senior year was the worst because I felt lost and disenchanted. Maybe I was just ready to graduate.  ::)

My sophomore and junior years rank up there because of my involvement with drama club and student council. They were a very fun bunch of kids.  :D

Written By: StarWars1984 on 10/20/18 at 6:27 pm

Freshman (1998) > Senior (2001) > Sophomore (1999) > Junior (2000)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/20/18 at 9:09 pm

Junior (1975-76) > Freshman (1973-74) > Senior (1976-77) > Sophomore (1974-75)

My Junior year was a blast!  But as that Senior class graduated, a lot of my friends left    :-\\

My Sophomore year was hard because I changed schools right beforehand...

Written By: mqg96 on 10/21/18 at 8:31 am

Senior >> Sophomore >> Freshman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Junior

Although in terms of the atmosphere of the school and the excitement, sophomore year was definitely my favorite with freshman year being my 2nd favorite. Senior year was the best because you had the most freedom having the ability to drive and not having as many classes to take as your previous years, and senior year is when I did the most activities outside of my school, I was just ready to get out by that point. Prom was a lot of fun too. The hype for graduation and graduation parties were lit. Senior year is the year I miss the most, but the fresh vibe of the school was at its absolute best my sophomore year. Freshman year wasn't the best but still had its comedic moments, and it payed off when summer 2011 happened. Junior year, well, I've talked about that before.  ;D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/21/18 at 9:11 am

Although in terms of the atmosphere of the school and the excitement, sophomore year was definitely my favorite with freshman year being my 2nd favorite. Senior year was the best because you had the most freedom having the ability to drive and not having as many classes to take as your previous years, and senior year is when I did the most activities outside of my school, I was just ready to get out by that point. Prom was a lot of fun too. The hype for graduation and graduation parties were lit. Senior year is the year I miss the most, but the fresh vibe of the school was at its absolute best my sophomore year. Freshman year wasn't the best but still had its comedic moments, and it payed off when summer 2011 happened. Junior year, well, I've talked about that before.  ;D

Junior year was tough for me - I had a lot of tough classes I had to study for and I also had that SAT to worry about.

Subject: How would you rank your high school years?

Written By: Dude111 on 10/21/18 at 9:13 am

Unfortunately my senior year was the worst because I felt lost and disenchanted.

Im so sorry buddy http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/default/sad.gif

Written By: mqg96 on 10/21/18 at 9:19 am

Junior year was tough for me - I had a lot of tough classes I had to study for and I also had that SAT to worry about.

Same here, my toughest classes happened throughout my junior year, and like you said you had to start worrying about SAT/ACT's, graduation tests, and applying for college. Junior year was stressful, but it was more than that for me. My junior year we got a new principal and there were a bunch of rule changes that nobody liked while they got a lot more strict. The senior class of 2013 wasn't anywhere near as good as the 2012 class when they were seniors although I liked people from 2013 individually, it's just that the atmosphere of the school in 2012-13 was very lame compared to 2011-12 when it was lit and a lot of fun. The sophomores at the time were extremely annoying and cocky (although I liked people from the grade individually too). My personal life in Spring 2013 didn't go so well either, but I won't get into that on here. Everything about my junior year (2012-13) was terrible.

Written By: 2001 on 10/21/18 at 2:17 pm

Junior (1975-76) > Freshman (1973-74) > Senior (1976-77) > Sophomore (1974-75)

My Junior year was a blast!  But as that Senior class graduated, a lot of my friends left    :-\\

My Sophomore year was hard because I changed schools right beforehand...

I went to a different school for Grade 11 (junior year) and that was a difficult adjustment for me too (in fact, I wasn't able to do it and moved back to my old school), making it easily the worst.

Yep, that's how it went for me too, except I would à few more ">" between senior and sophomore, which was Grade 12 and Grade 10 for me as we say it up here. ;D

Grade 12 (2009-2010) - 10/10
Grade 10 (2007-2008) - 7/10
Grade 9 (2006-2007) - 6/10
Grade 11 (2008-2009) - 1/10

Written By: piecesof93 on 10/21/18 at 3:00 pm

My best years go exactly in order: Freshman > Sophmore > Junior > Senior year but all great nevertheless.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 10/21/18 at 3:23 pm

From best to worst:

Sophomore --> Junior --> Freshman --> Senior

Unfortunately my senior year was the worst because I felt lost and disenchanted. Maybe I was just ready to graduate.  ::)

My sophomore and junior years rank up there because of my involvement with drama club and student council. They were a very fun bunch of kids.  :D

Same with me.
I agree, a lot of people understandably find Senior year to be their best year, but not me, it was actually pretty quiet and boring, the Class of 2015 no longer being there meant most of my buddies were now gone, I was pretty standoff-ish with the underclassmen, and I was too focused on graduation to care about involvement with the school, however there was an FBLA event I had that year that was one of the greatest days of my life.
Sophomore year was my favorite, particularly the first semester, as well as Summer 2013, as I was doing Cross Country then, there I made a lot of friends. Best part about Sophomore year is you're close in age to everyone, but still in the younger half. You still feel "cool" hanging out with the seniors, but you also now see them a bit more as equals as you're now closer in age to them and therefore feel more comfortable making friends with them, plus you're no longer the runts of the school, you have classmen below you to tease for that.

Same here, my toughest classes happened throughout my junior year, and like you said you had to start worrying about SAT/ACT's, graduation tests, and applying for college. Junior year was stressful, but it was more than that for me. My junior year we got a new principal and there were a bunch of rule changes that nobody liked while they got a lot more strict. The senior class of 2013 wasn't anywhere near as good as the 2012 class when they were seniors although I liked people from 2013 individually, it's just that the atmosphere of the school in 2012-13 was very lame compared to 2011-12 when it was lit and a lot of fun. The sophomores at the time were extremely annoying and cocky (although I liked people from the grade individually too). My personal life in Spring 2013 didn't go so well either, but I won't get into that on here. Everything about my junior year (2012-13) was terrible.

BTW, were most of your friends in high school from your own grade (2014) throughout all four years?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/21/18 at 3:39 pm

Written By: StarWars1984 on 10/21/18 at 3:47 pm

I'm blown away that people born in 2000 like you are adults now! Time flies...

Written By: mqg96 on 10/21/18 at 5:08 pm

BTW, were most of your friends in high school from your own grade (2014) throughout all four years?

I had many friends from 2012-2016. Mostly my own grade (2014) though. The only friends from 2011 I had were the ones on my cross country team and they were huge. I will always cherish how fun and exciting they were, even though I was only with them for one year. I had some 2011 friends from my JROTC class too when I was a freshman. I hardly knew anyone from 2017 except for the ones on cross country my senior year.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/21/18 at 5:31 pm

Same with me.
I agree, a lot of people understandably find Senior year to be their best year, but not me, it was actually pretty quiet and boring, the Class of 2015 no longer being there meant most of my buddies were now gone, I was pretty standoff-ish with the underclassmen, and I was too focused on graduation to care about involvement with the school, however there was an FBLA event I had that year that was one of the greatest days of my life.

For me, there was a huge attitude change of the school and the way I felt between sophomore and junior year. My sophomore year I still felt like an underclassman looking up to the seniors, but once junior year began despite the 2013 class being seniors, it didn't feel like there were seniors at the school at all. As a junior it felt like I was one of the older kids in school and we felt more like leaders to the underclassmen and we had to look out for them. The 2013 seniors just felt like regular peers near my age along with my main class (2014) but when I was a freshman and sophomore the 2011 and 2012 classes felt like leaders you'd look up to and get advice from. Of course, having a new principal and all the rule changes that occurred by my junior year didn't help at all.

It was sad when the seniors classes of 2011 & 2012 left, but when 2013 left things didn't feel much different because I had a lot of friends from my own class. 2013 leaving sucked too for the individual friends I had in 2013 because I knew them for 3 years, but like I said before as a whole class 2013 just felt very dry and lame. Our 2014 class was much better, and even people from 2015 and 2016 said that they really missed our 2014 class when we left  ;D I was very fortunate I was in a good class.

Sophomore year was my favorite, particularly the first semester, as well as Summer 2013, as I was doing Cross Country then, there I made a lot of friends. Best part about Sophomore year is you're close in age to everyone, but still in the younger half. You still feel "cool" hanging out with the seniors, but you also now see them a bit more as equals as you're now closer in age to them and therefore feel more comfortable making friends with them, plus you're no longer the runts of the school, you have classmen below you to tease for that.

First semester of freshman year and second semester of sophomore year were my favorite semesters of high school. I agree with you about sophomore year, and with my school having a separate freshmen building for all the academic classes, library, and cafeteria, it definitely made my sophomore year very exciting too once I was in the main building and the main hallways regularly. The atmosphere of the school my sophomore year was epic and the old principal that was there. The only reason I rank senior year higher is because of all the freedom you get and the all the hype & activities before graduation and college.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 10/21/18 at 6:13 pm

For me, there was a huge attitude change of the school and the way I felt between sophomore and junior year. My sophomore year I still felt like an underclassman looking up to the seniors, but once junior year began despite the 2013 class being seniors, it didn't feel like there were seniors at the school at all. As a junior it felt like I was one of the older kids in school and we felt more like leaders to the underclassmen and we had to look out for them. The 2013 seniors just felt like regular peers near my age along with my main class (2014) but when I was a freshman and sophomore the 2011 and 2012 classes felt like leaders you'd look up to and get advice from. Of course, having a new principal and all the rule changes that occurred by my junior year didn't help at all.

It was sad when the seniors classes of 2011 & 2012 left, but when 2013 left things didn't feel much different because I had a lot of friends from my own class. 2013 leaving sucked too for the individual friends I had in 2013 because I knew them for 3 years, but like I said before as a whole class 2013 just felt very dry and lame. Our 2014 class was much better, and even people from 2015 and 2016 said that they really missed our 2014 class when we left  ;D I was very fortunate I was in a good class.

First semester of freshman year and second semester of sophomore year were my favorite semesters of high school. I agree with you about sophomore year, and with my school having a separate freshmen building for all the academic classes, library, and cafeteria, it definitely made my sophomore year very exciting too once I was in the main building and the main hallways regularly. The atmosphere of the school my sophomore year was epic and the old principal that was there. The only reason I rank senior year higher is because of all the freedom you get and the all the hype & activities before graduation and college.

By the way, in your school, did every high school graduating class have a corny graduation slogan?
From what I know, in most schools, every class of the 2010s seemed to have one. Here are some from each 2010s year I'm aware of, the 4th-8th ones I remember seeing myself as I were there when they were upperclassmen (including my own class);

Class of 2010 = Sen10rs
Class of 2011 = Ba11in
Class of 2012 = 1 2 Infinity
Class of 2013 = Like A 13oss
Class of 2014 = All For One And 1 4 All
Class of 2015 = Make H15tory
Class of 2016 = Shine Br16ht
Class of 2017 = Too Leg17 To Qu17
Class of 2018 = Indivis18le
Class of 2019 = Del19htful

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/21/18 at 6:21 pm

From best to worse:

1. Year 11
2. Year 10.
3. Year 8
4. Year 9
5. Year 12
6. Year 7 (my first year of High School)

Written By: Lizardmatum on 10/23/18 at 2:04 pm

3rd year
1st year
2nd year
6th year
4th year
5th year

Basically the first 3 years were awesome!

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/25/18 at 1:25 pm

By the way, in your school, did every high school graduating class have a corny graduation slogan?
From what I know, in most schools, every class of the 2010s seemed to have one. Here are some from each 2010s year I'm aware of, the 4th-8th ones I remember seeing myself as I were there when they were upperclassmen (including my own class);

Class of 2010 = Sen10rs
Class of 2011 = Ba11in

Class of 2019 already has their slogan? When did they do this?

Written By: piecesof93 on 10/25/18 at 8:49 pm

Class of 2010 = Sen10rs
Class of 2011 = Ba11in

It gets worse as the list progresses.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/25/18 at 10:18 pm

Class of 2010 = Sen10rs
Class of 2011 = Ba11in

Here are the ones I remember from my school.

Class of 2011 = "Heaven Eleven!"
Class of 2012 = "Saving the best for last!" (I guess this was because of all of the end of the world jokes throughout 2012 lol)
Class of 2013 = "Like a 13OSS!" (same as yours)
Class of 2014 = "FRESH SO (CLEAN) FOURTEEN!"

Written By: mqg96 on 10/25/18 at 10:20 pm

It gets worse as the list progresses.

Every year of high school was worse for you!  ;D

Sad though. Hopefully you enjoyed college better or however your post-high school life went.

Written By: piecesof93 on 10/25/18 at 11:33 pm

Every year of high school was worse for you!  ;D

Sad though. Hopefully you enjoyed college better or however your post-high school life went.

What do you mean lol?

edit: Oh, you mean cause of the list I made? No year of high school was bad for me. I loved high school, it's just that every year, programs got cut so that made it less enjoyable. My high school years were smack dab in the middle of the recession. My freshmen year we had soooo many fantastic programs and the funds to enjoy many different activities. But after 2008, we had to cut down on those programs. Then Michelle Obama implemented those "healthy diet" policies and our schools took away fried meals  8-P. So we had to eat nasty ass baked (aka microwaved oven) food lunches. Other than that I loved every bit of high school. Really awesome times.

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/26/18 at 3:06 pm

Best part about Sophomore year is you're close in age to everyone, but still in the younger half. You still feel "cool" hanging out with the seniors, but you also now see them a bit more as equals as you're now closer in age to them and therefore feel more comfortable making friends with them, plus you're no longer the runts of the school, you have classmen below you to tease for that.

Ironically, this was what I didn't like about being a Sophomore. Sure, you aren't a freshman anymore, and by now you know your way around the school. But you still aren't considered upperclassmen yet despite all the knowledge you already have. You're literally stuck in the middle and that's extremely annoying.

I'm biased, but freshman year IMO was the best for me so far. I loved the feeling and excitement of being new in high school and meeting thousands of new people. As a freshman, I had so much to explore and many new people to meet. I remember my freshman dance and I was hanging out with a bunch of my friends. We didn't know what to expect, and that was what made it so fun.

And you can hang out with seniors whatever grade you're in, including freshmen. I had one senior friend when I was a freshman and I felt comfortable talking to her. Nowadays, it's extremely difficult to tell the difference between seniors and freshman anyway.

Now, as a junior, I'm finally glad I am no longer stuck in the middle. I feel completely like an upperclassmen now. I wouldn't want to go back and relive my sophomore year honestly.

I have yet to see what my senior year will be like. I'm betting it will be the best. But I don't want to expect too much and be left disappointed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/18 at 2:11 pm

Sophomore
Junior
Senior
Freshmen

Sophomore & Junior years were in the same school. The others were in different schools.

Cat

Written By: #Infinity on 10/27/18 at 2:42 pm

From best to worst...

Senior (2010-2011) - This was best because I was simply most motivated to learn, did best in my classes, enjoyed my classes, and got a lot out of my extracurriculars. Really, this was my best school year period, including college.

Junior (2009-2010) - Overall this was fun. Some frustration along the way, mostly due to the WebAssign format of my chemistry class, but I at least felt a bit more at-place this year. Extracurriculars were great, with a mixture of theatre and also jazz.

Freshman (2007-2008) - I didn't do great in my classes and my involvement in extracurriculars was fairly minimal aside from being a junior varsity runner, but I loved my new school and overall had a lot of carefree fun. I spent a huge chunk of this school year listening to and discovering eurobeat music, which I was already addicted to for most of 8th grade, but the role it took in my life became so central by this year that I now directly associate my high school and its local neighborhood with eurobeat.

Sophomore (2008-2009) - I got a Facebook account in November of this year, and the results were a lot messier, anxiety-provoking, and messier than I thought. I expected to connect with my classmates better than ever because I was so used to Internet forums instead of face-to-face communication, but nobody truly wanted to spend time with me online, and I got into a particular fiasco when I freaked over a 12th grader I liked not accepting my friend request. My classes were more frustrating than fun. I really wasn't motivated by much outside of music. My track season was ruined due to an injury I caught a week before practices started. This was undoubtedly my least favourite school year while I was in high school.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/27/18 at 8:54 pm

My class never had a slogan. I would assume that this was the case for the classes of 2010-2016 and 2018-2019 in my school as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/18 at 6:09 pm

All years were fine for me, I learned well, and eventually got a good job.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/03/18 at 3:56 pm

They were decent. As I started high school, I was part of this club where I would meet new friends there every day in small groups during lunch. I made a lot of them throughout that organization since I was in there all 4 years and I even still have contact with most of them today. Starting with my sophomore year, I did some personal speeches while I was in that institution in Freshman English classes to tell people what the club is about and how can they join. During my senior year, I went to a middle school and gave the students my personal speech and told them how much the institution has changed me. It was such a success that more students joined the organization each year.

Also during high school, I had classes where I did my favorite career and I made drawings, mosaics, ceramic pieces, and even paintings and it was a ton of fun. Unfortunately, I lost all of that art designs overtime that I don't have any of them anymore.

For a short time, I played high football and while the training was difficult to maintain, I still enjoyed it and made new friends there as well.

Written By: Alexander1956 on 12/04/18 at 6:53 am

From best to worst

Junior (1972-1973)
Senior (1973-1974)
Sophomore (1971-1972)
Freshman (1970-1971)

Check for new replies or respond here...