inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Fortnite bigger than Pokémon was?

Written By: 2001 on 10/26/18 at 6:36 pm

I think it is. Every kid I know is hooked. I don't think I'm one of the cool kdis anymore, I have no time to play this game. :P

Subject: Re: Is Fortnite bigger than Pokémon was?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/26/18 at 7:20 pm

I think it is. Every kid I know is hooked. I don't think I'm one of the cool kdis anymore, I have no time to play this game. :P

I don’t see Fortnite toys coming to a Burger King anytime sooner, so I’d say no.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/26/18 at 9:01 pm

Maybe. It is to Zoomers what Pokemon was to Millennials.

Not necessarily. Pokemon had a younger demographic than Fortnite. The core demographic for Pokemon were kids between like 5 and 11 while the demographic for Fortnite are teens and young adults between 12 and 20's. Fortnite was not made for elementary school kids although I'm sure young kids play it though, and the same probably went for Pokemon too with some adults being into the franchise.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/26/18 at 9:03 pm

Probably not. From what I know, Fortnite is just a game. Pokemon was more than that. You had the T.V. show, the cards, the movies (the first two were pretty successful at the box office), toys, etc. Then again, I am not the most reliable source of information since I know nothing about Fortnite, other than it's the current game craze.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/26/18 at 9:06 pm

Probably not. From what I know, Fortnite is just a game. Pokemon was more than that. You had the T.V. show, the cards, the movies (the first two were pretty successful at the box office), toys, etc. Then again, I am not the most reliable source of information since I know nothing about Fortnite, other than it's the current game craze.

Exactly. A toy franchise like Pokemon that had the games and the TV show with different arcs is not comparable to just any regular "game craze". Fortnite will be forgotten 5 years from now. This is no different than the COD: Black Ops and Zombie mode craze throughout the early 2010's.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/26/18 at 9:38 pm

Hell no. I see Fortnite gone less than 2 years from now. Not hating on it but it don't even sound like it has endless appeal.

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/26/18 at 10:29 pm

Not necessarily. Pokemon had a younger demographic than Fortnite. The core demographic for Pokemon were kids between like 5 and 11 while the demographic for Fortnite are teens and young adults between 12 and 20's. Fortnite was not made for elementary school kids although I'm sure young kids play it though, and the same probably went for Pokemon too with some adults being into the franchise.

I'd say it appeals to both elementary kids, as well as teens and young adults. There's all these videos of little kids doing the Fortnite floss dance and going nuts for Fortnite (which make adults in the comments roll their eyes and say "humanity is doomed", lol).

Written By: mqg96 on 10/27/18 at 2:17 am

I'd say it appeals to both elementary kids, as well as teens and young adults. There's all these videos of little kids doing the Fortnite floss dance and going nuts for Fortnite (which make adults in the comments roll their eyes and say "humanity is doomed", lol).

Well, as elementary kids we all played T for teen rated games too. I'm just saying, the demographic for Fortnite is much higher than Pokemon period, and Fortnite doesn't compare to Pokemon historically at all. Even Pokemon GO for a shorter time was bigger than Fortnite.

Written By: Dundee on 10/27/18 at 12:08 pm

Fortnite and Pokémon is one weird comparison if I ever saw one.

Written By: 2001 on 10/27/18 at 12:11 pm

I see kids playing Fortnite all the time though. My 11 year old cousin has an entire YouTube channel dedicated to it, and at another house I went to a 6 year old girl was hooked on it. Also I see kids everywhere doing the flossing dance. ???

They're both video games that were ultra popular with kids. Pokémon is the best selling video game of all time and Fortnite is the most downloaded. It seems a natural comparison to me :P

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/27/18 at 12:42 pm

Pokèmon will most likely be around for the rest of this century, in some form or another, whereas Fortnite will go the way of Five Nights at Freddy’s and other indie games introduced in the 2010s. Pokèmon was mentioned twice in VH1’s I Love series, because it appealed to children of the 90s and children of the 2000s. Fortnite will be brought up in either I Love the 2010s or I Love the 2020s. It won’t be both.

This century for someone already works as the time when Pokèmon started out on top (with weak competition from the new show Digimon) and rolled down (only real fans know how many there are now). On January 1st of 2100, the general population of America (if anyone is still alive then) won’t be playing any Pokèmon trading card games or video games at all. Americans in the future will have moved on completely.

Pikachu still has Mickey Mouse appeal at the moment.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/27/18 at 2:44 pm

Absolutely no way. Pokémon was literally ubiquitous in 1999, to the point it was headlining major news stories. I've heard about Fortnite, but I don't see it advertised everywhere like the Minions and Marvel Superheroes are.

Written By: 2001 on 10/27/18 at 2:51 pm

Absolutely no way. Pokémon was literally ubiquitous in 1999, to the point it was headlining major news stories. I've heard about Fortnite, but I don't see it advertised everywhere like the Minions and Marvel Superheroes are.

But we have phone manufacturers advertising bundled Fortinte skins when you buy their phone and the news stories of children dying due to game addiction. The popularity of it is being underestimated here I think?

Written By: Dundee on 10/27/18 at 6:15 pm

They're both video games that were ultra popular with kids. Pokémon is the best selling video game of all time and Fortnite is the most downloaded. It seems a natural comparison to me :P

Well, like already pointed out, Pokémon is more of a franchise than simply a video game series, widely popular thanks to the anime and the cards too.
Pokémon also had two decades ahead to prove itself to be a staple, while it's still unsure if Fortnite is just a fad unique to 2018 and therefore has a high risk still be replaced next year with a new shiny fad with relative ease.

I guess in this case only the future can tell if Fortnite will end up being either the Fidget Spinner of video games or a new Minecraft.

Also I'm pretty sure Mario Bros is the best selling video game of all time ???

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/29/18 at 8:11 am

Ehhh.... No. I kind of get where you're coming from though, Pokemon was the major craze for kids in the late 90s, & Fortnite is currently the craze for kids in the late 10s. However, I don't know if that comparison will necessarily hold up years late, cause I simply don't see Fortnite as having a long lasting appeal like Pokemon did. Hell, the current Fortnite craze doesn't even compare to the Pokemon GO! craze from just two years ago ;D. All I remember from Summer of 2016 is tons of Pokemon GO! 'horror stories' of people getting shot, getting into cat accidents, bonding with their friends finding Pokemon, etc. etc. I haven't seen Fortnite gather this much mainstream attention, minus maybe the dances.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/29/18 at 10:19 am

I learned how to floss like a pro from Fortnite.  But that's about it.  Pokemon didn't teach me anything.  I like Angry Birds more than these and it was way bigger.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/29/18 at 10:28 am

Ehhh.... No. I kind of get where you're coming from though, Pokemon was the major craze for kids in the late 90s, & Fortnite is currently the craze for kids in the late 10s. However, I don't know if that comparison will necessarily hold up years late, cause I simply don't see Fortnite as having a long lasting appeal like Pokemon did. Hell, the current Fortnite craze doesn't even compare to the Pokemon GO! craze from just two years ago ;D. All I remember from Summer of 2016 is tons of Pokemon GO! 'horror stories' of people getting shot, getting into cat accidents, bonding with their friends finding Pokemon, etc. etc. I haven't seen Fortnite gather this much mainstream attention, minus maybe the dances.

Pokemon Go got so crazy that some people were willing to pick up Pokemon Go players with their cars.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 10/30/18 at 7:00 pm

I have to agree with you on that. Fortnite is just now starting to get media attention and the game has been hot the whole year. Pokemon was is the media the moment it launched in 1998

Written By: mwalker1996 on 10/30/18 at 7:04 pm

True besides ninja and the Flossing Fortnite is not a threat to parents like Pokemon was to the evangelical parents

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/18 at 1:59 am

In time, Fortnite will be forgotten about, with no feature film made, but with dire films made, Pokémon is still popular with children today.

Check for new replies or respond here...