inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So, did you go to your senior prom?

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/14/18 at 2:43 am

If you went, did you enjoy it? If you didn't, why didn't you go, and do you regret it?

I didn't attend mine. It's ironic because I was involved with a lot of stuff throughout high school, but during the course of my senior year, I just became over high school and had lost interest in most things related to it.

If I could do it over, maybe I would go. What would one night dressed up and being at prom hurt? It's not something that nags at me all the time, though.  ::)

Subject: Re: So, did you go to your senior prom?

Written By: 2001 on 11/14/18 at 7:56 am

I did. It was a lot of fun! A bit overhyped by the teachers though... "Something you'll remember for the rest of your life". Perhaps, but in terms of memorable events it's rather mid-tier. I had 10x more fun during my orientation week in university.

I think if you really liked high school, prom can be an excellent and memorable way to cap it all off. For me, however, that's a period in my life I'm happier thinking less of. ;D Me being closeted and going single may also play a part in why I didn't find it so memorable. :-X

Nonetheless, it was a lot of fun. I recommend everyone go. Just keep your expectations in check, and don't do drugs. ;)

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/14/18 at 11:59 am

I did. It was a lot of fun! A bit overhyped by the teachers though... "Something you'll remember for the rest of your life". Perhaps, but in terms of memorable events it's rather mid-tier. I had 10x more fun during my orientation week in university.

I think if you really liked high school, prom can be an excellent and memorable way to cap it all off. For me, however, that's a period in my life I'm happier thinking less of. ;D Me being closeted and going single may also play a part in why I didn't find it so memorable. :-X

Nonetheless, it was a lot of fun. I recommend everyone go. Just keep your expectations in check, and don't do drugs. ;)
Same with me. My mom made me go to my prom. I enjoyed it but it wasn't like a highlight of my type of thing. I think it's great experience even if you don't have a date just think of it as a moment rather than a life-changing experience.

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/14/18 at 1:48 pm

My thing was, I enjoyed some parts of high school, but never particularly liked school dances, or dressing up. Being gay makes prom infinitely more awkward, too, being one of society's last heterosexist institutions.  ::)

Written By: violet_shy on 11/14/18 at 4:55 pm

I didn't go to mine. I wanted to deep down inside...but, since I was kind if a rebel at that age I just didn't want to see anyone's face. Plus, I couldn't find a pretty dress!

Don't get me wrong everyone. I WAS NOT a bully. A bit off ropic there but I had to say it.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/14/18 at 5:48 pm

It's one of the reasons why my senior year of high school was my favorite along with so many other events that occurred throughout that year!

Subject: So, did you go to your senior prom?

Written By: Dude111 on 11/14/18 at 6:17 pm

I didnt go...... I wasnt really interested in all that........

Ah man!!

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/15/18 at 6:22 am

It's basically a watered-down debutante ball that I never went to, because I didn't have a date.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/15/18 at 3:14 pm

I wanted to but didn't. Why? No one asked me and I didn't want to go stag. I didn't go to my junior prom either.  :\'(

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 11/15/18 at 5:34 pm

I did, I wish I hadn't though. I took a girl who didn't attend my school and my best friend took her sister.
Neither one of danced so outside a few slow dances it was pretty boring for the girls, and me as well.
After the prom my girlfriend asked me to take her home and after I parked in front of her house she got
out of the car and said we shouldn't see each other anymore. So there I stood, in the street, in a robins
egg blue tux looking dumbfounded. Boy I hated that night.

It worked out though, a year after the prom I married that girl. That was 37 years ago and we're still
together, and I still don't dance.

Written By: nally on 11/21/18 at 10:14 pm

I didn't attend mine. Couldn't really afford the expenses of a ticket, a nice suit, or transportation. I didn't even have a date. Therefore I chose not to go.

Written By: Contigo on 07/31/21 at 6:52 pm

No I didn't go to to my senior or junior prom, didn't have any desire to go.

I also haven't been to any school reunions. No desire to go. Believe this or not, I do not even know if our school graduating class has had any reunions in the last 46 years. Have not kept in touch.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/31/21 at 7:46 pm

I did but it didn’t really matter. I had no desire to go. My dad said I should go so he gave me $60 which at the time covered the tickets and a nice dinner. My class was only 20 people so I just took someone else who didn’t have anyone to go with and tried to make the most of it. It rained most of the night. Maybe half of the 20 people showed up. She never wanted to dance. Then afterwards one of her religious friends was having an after prom party, which just consisted of sitting around watching Mrs. Doubtfire, meanwhile she played with the cat. Then she motioned “let’s go”. I knew where she lived, heck I lived in that house before she did. Then she was like “this way is faster”. Yeah I knew the shortcut but I wasn’t a fan of taking my car through a seasonal road mud pit. I did anyway. So I got to her driveway and I would have expected at least a thanks. But she bailed out without a word, before I even got the gearshift into park. Never did talk to me the rest of the year either.

Our class has never had any reunions either. If we did, I’d go just long enough to show them that I made something of myself, as many said I wouldn’t. Never was one to spend a long time socializing.

Written By: Howard on 08/01/21 at 7:19 am

No I didn't go to to my senior or junior prom, didn't have any desire to go.

I also haven't been to any school reunions. No desire to go. Believe this or not, I do not even know if our school graduating class has had any reunions in the last 46 years. Have not kept in touch.

I've been out of school for nearly 30 years now and I don't think I've been to a reunion myself.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/21 at 7:21 am

One thing I missed out on in my life.

Written By: Contigo on 08/06/21 at 4:54 pm

I did but it didn’t really matter. I had no desire to go. My dad said I should go so he gave me $60 which at the time covered the tickets and a nice dinner. My class was only 20 people so I just took someone else who didn’t have anyone to go with and tried to make the most of it. It rained most of the night. Maybe half of the 20 people showed up. She never wanted to dance. Then afterwards one of her religious friends was having an after prom party, which just consisted of sitting around watching Mrs. Doubtfire, meanwhile she played with the cat. Then she motioned “let’s go”. I knew where she lived, heck I lived in that house before she did. Then she was like “this way is faster”. Yeah I knew the shortcut but I wasn’t a fan of taking my car through a seasonal road mud pit. I did anyway. So I got to her driveway and I would have expected at least a thanks. But she bailed out without a word, before I even got the gearshift into park. Never did talk to me the rest of the year either.

Her behavior was really weird.

One thing I missed out on in my life.

I don't miss not going at all.  My favorite day of school was my last day of high school, picked up my diploma and got the hell out of there. I knew on my last day that I'd never see 98% of my classmates anymore, and I was correct.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/06/21 at 5:04 pm

I don't miss not going at all.  My favorite day of school was my last day of high school, picked up my diploma and got the hell out of there. I knew on my last day that I'd never see 98% of my classmates anymore, and I was correct.

Same here!!  Good riddance, that's all I could think.  ;D

Written By: nally on 08/06/21 at 11:40 pm

I've been out of school for nearly 30 years now and I don't think I've been to a reunion myself.

I have gone to only one of my class reunions, namely my 10-year. I liked the experience; I enjoyed seeing classmates of mine that I made friends with; but I was one of only 64 classmates who showed up (there were probably about 500 or so in my graduating class).

Written By: violet_shy on 08/07/21 at 11:15 am

Nah.

And I'll leave it at that.  ;D

Written By: Contigo on 08/08/21 at 11:19 am

I have gone to only one of my class reunions, namely my 10-year. I liked the experience; I enjoyed seeing classmates of mine that I made friends with; but I was one of only 64 classmates who showed up (there were probably about 500 or so in my graduating class).

That's a low turnout, just under 13%. Makes me wonder if a large portion of class reunions have that little a turnout.  I get it if its a 60-year reunion (where many have died) but its seems low for a 10-year.

Written By: nally on 08/08/21 at 11:45 am

That's a low turnout, just under 13%. Makes me wonder if a large portion of class reunions have that little a turnout.  I get it if its a 60-year reunion (where many have died) but its seems low for a 10-year.

I wonder if people in my generation are less interested in reunions. I graduated in 1998, so my 10-years reunion was in 2008.

I do happen to know that a number of my classmates moved out of the area; in some cases, to another state. I can understand them not wanting to come if they live that far away... but maybe others who do/did still live in the area just weren't interested.

There was also a 20-year reunion in 2018, but it wasn't very well planned, so I chose not to go to that one.

Written By: Contigo on 08/08/21 at 12:58 pm

I wonder if people in my generation are less interested in reunions. I graduated in 1998, so my 10-years reunion was in 2008.

I do happen to know that a number of my classmates moved out of the area; in some cases, to another state. I can understand them not wanting to come if they live that far away... but maybe others who do/did still live in the area just weren't interested.

There was also a 20-year reunion in 2018, but it wasn't very well planned, so I chose not to go to that one.

I saw (after the fact) on Facebook that our 40th-year reunion attracted about 80 people, out of (I'm guessing) 120 or 130 people.  I was surprised so many would attend.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/08/21 at 1:36 pm

My 40th reunion is this year.  Don't think I will go because I went to two high schools. The first one for 2 years that was a fairly small school and I knew more people but the second one was only for my senior year and it was much bigger and I didn't know too many people. Because I didn't graduate from the one that I knew more people, I don't get invites.

Man, 40 years!  :o :o :o (Oh crap! I just dated myself again. I HATE when I do that!)

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/08/21 at 2:34 pm

I saw (after the fact) on Facebook that our 40th-year reunion attracted about 80 people, out of (I'm guessing) 120 or 130 people.  I was surprised so many would attend.

My "20th" was not very well planned, as I stated in a previous post. There wasn't even an announcement about one until just a month or two in advance. I saw the announcement on my school's Facebook group page, and when I read about what was involved and the price for tickets, I decided (after being on the fence about it for several weeks) that I wasn't gonna go. I'm not interested in drinks, or loud music. (Besides, I'd have to drive all the way home. And I'm not a drinker in the first place.) I think that one attracted a very small number of peeps.

For the record, my mom has gone to all of her class reunions, except her 30-year. And each of them attracted a good-sized crowd, from what she's told; plus I've seen pictures of each one. (Her 50-year was just a couple years ago, and she's been on the planning committee for all of them. She thinks the 50th is going to be the final reunion for her class.)

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/08/21 at 3:49 pm

I didn't. I wanted to get out of there ASAP.

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/08/21 at 3:52 pm

I just looked up all my classmates that I wasn’t sure where they went. Didn’t take long. About half the girls stayed in this area. The other half moved to the Grand Rapids area, including the one I took to prom. Except me, my cousin, and 1 other, all the boys left for the south or west USA. Not as much to look up there, as I already know about me, my cousin, my former best friend (who also moved to the south), and one who died in a motorcycle accident about 12 years ago.

I highly doubt we would have a reunion of any kind. Too few people, too far apart. Anyone who wants to keep in touch with anyone probably already has. One girl classmate who lives 4 houses from my ex would be the one to say something and probably organize it. I see her in the store every now and then. Her sister works at Autozone so she would say something too, I’m there a lot.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/08/21 at 5:20 pm

My 40th reunion is this year.  Don't think I will go because I went to two high schools. The first one for 2 years that was a fairly small school and I knew more people but the second one was only for my senior year and it was much bigger and I didn't know too many people. Because I didn't graduate from the one that I knew more people, I don't get invites.

Man, 40 years!  :o :o :o (Oh crap! I just dated myself again. I HATE when I do that!)

Cat

I "get it" about the two high schools, but my second school was for three years, not one.  However my first High School was essentially a continuation from Junior High, so it was basically three years in that school (before Jr. High I lived in a different state).

My 40th reunion was 5 years ago, and it was a blast.  The best part is, we combined our reunion with the class graduating before us (it was actually 39 yrs for me) and I may have mentioned it before but I had a lot of friends in the class of '76.  I saw a couple of good friends there that I hadn't seen since high school.

If you went, did you enjoy it? If you didn't, why didn't you go, and do you regret it?

I didn't attend mine. It's ironic because I was involved with a lot of stuff throughout high school, but during the course of my senior year, I just became over high school and had lost interest in most things related to it.

If I could do it over, maybe I would go. What would one night dressed up and being at prom hurt? It's not something that nags at me all the time, though.  ::)

I enjoyed prom somewhat, but I think my expectations were too high.  For one thing, my date wasn't from our school; my brother lined him up for me, bless his soul (they played music together), and he was actually from the original high school I went to.  I liked him but he wasn't my boyfriend.  He was very sweet, got all fixed up for me, coordinated his colors with me and even gave me a corsage!  I appreciated all that.  The highlight for me, besides his sweetness, may have been making my prom dress!  ;D  I was pleased with my dress once I made it (for girls like me, stuff like that matters).  The prom itself seemed way too subdued; it seemed they played nothing but slow songs.  I danced with my date a little but soon felt awkward.  After getting our picture taken and a few dances and nibbles/punch, we ran short on ways to enjoy ourselves.  We went home on the early side.  So, not a total disaster, and I'm glad I went, but it didn't live up to the hype.

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/08/21 at 6:02 pm

I "get it" about the two high schools, but my second school was for three years, not one.  However my first High School was essentially a continuation from Junior High, so it was basically three years in that school (before Jr. High I lived in a different state).

My 40th reunion was 5 years ago, and it was a blast.  The best part is, we combined our reunion with the class graduating before us (it was actually 39 yrs for me) and I may have mentioned it before but I had a lot of friends in the class of '76.  I saw a couple of good friends there that I hadn't seen since high school.

I enjoyed prom somewhat, but I think my expectations were too high.  For one thing, my date wasn't from our school; my brother lined him up for me, bless his soul (they played music together), and he was actually from the original high school I went to.  I liked him but he wasn't my boyfriend.  He was very sweet, got all fixed up for me, coordinated his colors with me and even gave me a corsage!  I appreciated all that.  The highlight for me, besides his sweetness, may have been making my prom dress!  ;D  I was pleased with my dress once I made it (for girls like me, stuff like that matters).  The prom itself seemed way too subdued; it seemed they played nothing but slow songs.  I danced with my date a little but soon felt awkward.  After getting our picture taken and a few dances and nibbles/punch, we ran short on ways to enjoy ourselves.  We went home on the early side.  So, not a total disaster, and I'm glad I went, but it didn't live up to the hype.

I think besides me, nobody had a prom date from our class or even our school. Even back then you had to date from other places to find someone compatible.

My dad went to his reunion here, even though he didn’t graduate here. He spent most of his school years here, but went back downstate halfway through his senior year to live with his brothers and graduate there. The guy who works across the hall from me was in his class here.

Written By: Contigo on 08/08/21 at 6:36 pm

I think besides me, nobody had a prom date from our class or even our school. Even back then you had to date from other places to find someone compatible.

My dad went to his reunion here, even though he didn’t graduate here. He spent most of his school years here, but went back downstate halfway through his senior year to live with his brothers and graduate there. The guy who works across the hall from me was in his class here.

I lived in a bigger city and there were quite a few couples in my graduating class and I assume they went to the prom together. Our prom was after graduation, after we got our diplomas and all that. And because I didnt go to my prom, and have never spoken to anyone who went  (coz we had already graduated and I just had no desire to keep in touch) , I have no idea how it turned out  ;D ;D 

Written By: Ripley on 08/09/21 at 2:02 pm

My class had one 11 years after. Though it wasn’t official, it was just a bunch of the popular kids mostly. Those kids, most of them rich and rude, saw each other a lot anyway so it seemed pointless lmao. Well one girl who was nice, and not super popular just got along well with everybody, told me about it. I didn’t go. After the fact I found out how lame it was lol. If a real one comes I will not attend. It wasn’t school I hated, though parts of it sucked, it was the rude popular kids. I was always a loner and I liked it that way.  :-\\

Written By: Ripley on 08/09/21 at 2:14 pm

I chose not to go to prom. I was a very unpopular and picked on kid from 1st grade through 12th. Because of the rudeness I became such a loner that even those I became friends with I hardly did anything with. I can think of a handful of sleep overs and maybe a dozen going to the mall days or just hanging out. So we mainly hung out at lunch and in classes. Until senior year, when I became best friends with these two sisters. So my having *hang out* friends didn’t even start really til I was 17. 😀 Anyway I’m from a small town, 60 something a class. We were a big sports obsessed little town. Energetic Peprallys, Home Coming Parade on Main Street, everyone in town at games, most people knew each other and their business thanks to rumors. As far as I know it’s still exactly the same. Quite a few students had parents as faculty or who worked in city offices. We were overrun with popular kids! Long story I know lol. But I didn’t go to any dances. We had a junior and a senior prom each spring. And a football homecoming parade/game/dance. I was uninterested.

Written By: Contigo on 08/09/21 at 2:15 pm

My class had one 11 years after. Though it wasn’t official, it was just a bunch of the popular kids mostly. Those kids, most of them rich and rude, saw each other a lot anyway so it seemed pointless lmao. Well one girl who was nice, and not super popular just got along well with everybody, told me about it. I didn’t go. After the fact I found out how lame it was lol. If a real one comes I will not attend. It wasn’t school I hated, though parts of it sucked, it was the rude popular kids. I was always a loner and I liked it that way.  :-\\

I hear ya. Lots of rude kids and seemed they were the popular ones.
I was usually the loner too. Most of my classmates wanted to get very drunk, smoke (cigs, pot and whatever else), swear all the time, have sex with anyone who had a pulse and then drink some more and vandalize properties or automobiles.  Me I liked to sit down on weekends and watch reruns of Dick Van Dyke show, Andy Griffith and Mission Impossible, or play sports outdoors. I did not fit in at my school. All of my friends were outside of school.

Written By: Ripley on 08/09/21 at 2:18 pm

All of my friends were outside of school.

I was better friends with cousins instead of classmates.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/21 at 3:11 pm

I was always the new kid. I went to 11 schools before I graduated.  :o :o :o The longest I stayed in one school was about 2 & 1/2 years. The shortest was about 1 month. There was one school that I registered but never attended. One school year, I went to 3 different schools. Unfortunately, because of all that moving around, I missed a lot in my education.

Just to clarify, I was NOT-repeat- I was NOT kicked out of any of those schools. (I never even served detention-because my horns were the only thing holding my halo up.  :D ;D ;D ) My mother often decided that she would rather live someplace we weren't living. And then there was the few years where I lived with my dad and then my grandmother. The funny thing is, my mother FINALLY settled down in my senior year. In fact, the house we lived in then, we closed up the year before died when she went into a nursing home 8 years ago.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/09/21 at 4:31 pm

I was always the new kid. I went to 11 schools before I graduated.  :o :o :o The longest I stayed in one school was about 2 & 1/2 years. The shortest was about 1 month. There was one school that I registered but never attended. One school year, I went to 3 different schools. Unfortunately, because of all that moving around, I missed a lot in my education.

Just to clarify, I was NOT-repeat- I was NOT kicked out of any of those schools. (I never even served detention-because my horns were the only thing holding my halo up.  :D ;D ;D ) My mother often decided that she would rather live someplace we weren't living. And then there was the few years where I lived with my dad and then my grandmother. The funny thing is, my mother FINALLY settled down in my senior year. In fact, the house we lived in then, we closed up the year before died when she went into a nursing home 8 years ago.

Cat

Sounds challenging...  :-\\

Written By: Contigo on 08/09/21 at 6:26 pm

Cat

I cannot even imagine that. Being the new kid in 11 schools, the new kid over and over again, never knowing how long you would stay at one school and knowing that friendships may end suddenly as you move to a new place. Like AmericanGirl said, its challenging and must have been quite difficult at times

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/21 at 6:55 pm

Sounds challenging...  :-\\

I cannot even imagine that. Being the new kid in 11 schools, the new kid over and over again, never knowing how long you would stay at one school and knowing that friendships may end suddenly as you move to a new place. Like AmericanGirl said, its challenging and must have been quite difficult at times

You can guess what my theme song was in high school:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pa5nqYXEnY

When people tell me that they are from ____, I would often say, "I went to school there." But when someone else says they are from ____, and I say, "I went to school there, too" people start looking at me strange.

Places I went to school:

-Wappingers Falls, NY
-Poughkeepsie, NY
-West Springfield, Mass
-Chicopee, Mass
-Higgunum, Conn (this was the school I went to for a month)
-West Haven, Conn (went to 2 schools here)
-Takoma Park, MD
-Tulsa, OK
-Beacon, NY
-Kingston, NY

And then there were all the colleges I went to.  :D ;D ;D  I THINK 6.

-A semester of community college in NY right after high school.
-Took a class in San Antonio, TX (Don't even remember the name of the school)-through the Community College of the Air Force.
-Took a couple of classes when I was in Greece (again, I don't remember the name of the college) -again, through the Community College of the Air Force.
-A semester of community college when I first got out of the A.F.
-Full time for 4 years and got my B.A.
-Full time graduate for 3 semesters before withdrawing. (Yeah, never finished that M.A.) 

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 08/09/21 at 10:23 pm

I didn't go to my senior prom. I wanted to, but at the same time I didn't want to go. So I didn't. And to make up for that I went to Strawberries music store and bought some music! It was the best time! I still remember the CD singles I bought.

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/09/21 at 10:53 pm

One thing I didn’t do was go on my senior trip. Me, my buddy, and my cousin all opted out of the class early on. Didn’t care to be stuck with a bunch of people we didn’t even like. So we didn’t pay dues or do fundraisers over the years either. The seniors chose Toronto, just like every other class because you could drink in Canada at 18. Big deal, I still don’t drink. Only thing that would have been interesting is the Journalism teacher and counselor went as chaperones, and we were told the kids caught them gettin’ it on.

So instead my buddy and I took a road trip to South Carolina to see his mom. In an 85 Topaz with no AC. It was fun. Got to see some stuff like Smoky Mountains, the beach at Charleston, places like Gatlinburg and maybe Dollywood. I bought a bass in SC too, my black Ibanez 5 string which I still play often.

Written By: Contigo on 08/10/21 at 2:24 pm

One thing I didn’t do was go on my senior trip. Me, my buddy, and my cousin all opted out of the class early on. Didn’t care to be stuck with a bunch of people we didn’t even like. So we didn’t pay dues or do fundraisers over the years either. The seniors chose Toronto, just like every other class because you could drink in Canada at 18. Big deal, I still don’t drink. Only thing that would have been interesting is the Journalism teacher and counselor went as chaperones, and we were told the kids caught them gettin’ it on.

So instead my buddy and I took a road trip to South Carolina to see his mom. In an 85 Topaz with no AC. It was fun. Got to see some stuff like Smoky Mountains, the beach at Charleston, places like Gatlinburg and maybe Dollywood. I bought a bass in SC too, my black Ibanez 5 string which I still play often.

Its nice you thought of taking a trip. I didnt do anything at all, my summer job started (I think??) the following week after graduation, had to earn money for college in the fall.

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/10/21 at 9:06 pm

Its nice you thought of taking a trip. I didnt do anything at all, my summer job started (I think??) the following week after graduation, had to earn money for college in the fall.

I started my summer job after I got back. I wasn’t 18 yet so I wasn’t allowed to work in the shop, so I worked with the maintenance guy. Like several times taking a Ford Ranger full of booze up to the owner’s condo, and cleaning out the empties.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/21 at 10:15 pm

No, I suspect it was two things. There was a bit of envy from other kids, because I was known a lot in my own Senior class! I was a very popular class clown! Two, my mental health issues were acting up (and had been for about 4 and a half years by then) and I was acting strange!

Popular kids are okay, I guess, but I always found them kind of boring, in Junior High! The thing is, about 35%+ of the popular kids are kind of spoiled buttheads, maybe even 40%! It's hard to have a motivation to be part of the in group, in high school, when they snubbed you back in Junior High!

Check for new replies or respond here...