inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question got fellow 90s babies.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/17/19 at 1:02 pm

For me personally, I feel that my childhood nostalgia was triggered prematurely. In  2009 and throughout the early 2010s, the "90s kid" fadswept the internet and seems to have made everyone reminisce about their childhoods regardless of whether or not they were 90s kids. I think that if the whole 90s kids thing wouldn't have happened, the nostalgia I had earlier in the decade would have been delayed until now. I'm 25, which is around the same age 90s kids were in the early 2010s. I've used up a lot of the nostalgia I had earlier this decade and now I don't feel I can reminisce properly lol.

Does anyone else feel this way (specifically 90s babies, but anyone can add their input)?

Subject: Re: Question got fellow 90s babies.

Written By: xenzue on 01/17/19 at 1:16 pm

Not really, most of my nostalgia is from the mid/late 00s. The nostalgia we have with the 90s is through the perspective of our Gen X parents, so it's completely different from 90s kids.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/17/19 at 1:58 pm

You cannot and are not allowed to have nostalgai for the 90's unless you were born no later than 1988.  I'm sorry. Otherwise, it's hipster faking.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/17/19 at 7:51 pm

Not really, most of my nostalgia is from the mid/late 00s. The nostalgia we have with the 90s is through the perspective of our Gen X parents, so it's completely different from 90s kids.

Sorry, I'm not saying the nostalgia has to be 90s based. I'm just saying did watching 90s kids be nostalgic for their childhoods, also make you want to be nostalgic for yours (the 2000s)?? Seeing them talk about their childhoods, made me reminisce on my own childhood in the early 2000s (even thougn it was still the early 2010s, which were not that far removed from the 2000s at the time). Therefore, I feel like the nostalgia I had for the 2000s was premature. And the nostalgia I was having then, I should be having now.

Does that make sense lol?

Written By: wixness on 01/17/19 at 8:40 pm

You cannot and are not allowed to have nostalgai for the 90's unless you were born no later than 1988.  I'm sorry. Otherwise, it's hipster faking.
I second this.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/19 at 10:04 pm

Yeah, I feel I used most my nostalgia fuel back when I joined this forum in 2015/2016. Now I barely ever feel nostalgia tbh.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/17/19 at 11:05 pm

Sorry, I'm not saying the nostalgia has to be 90s based. I'm just saying did watching 90s kids be nostalgic for their childhoods, also make you want to be nostalgic for yours (the 2000s)?? Seeing them talk about their childhoods, made me reminisce on my own childhood in the early 2000s (even thougn it was still the early 2010s, which were not that far removed from the 2000s at the time). Therefore, I feel like the nostalgia I had for the 2000s was premature. And the nostalgia I was having then, I should be having now.

Does that make sense lol?

I don't see how it wouldn't. None of my threads make sense. Haha Like what Slowpoke stated, my nostalgia for the early 2000s peaked as I joined this exact forum in 2015 and got my full need of it by 2017, peak was finished. I was even one of that, my nostalgia for the 2000s overthrown my 90s nostalgia.

Glad that's been the case tho. Hahaha

Written By: mwalker1996 on 01/18/19 at 4:30 pm

Some people on here are just starting to get nostalgic about the early 00s while I was nostalgic about the early 00s since about 2010. My nostalgia is now in the late 00s which people are now just now realizing how old 2008 actually is. With all that being said it makes sense why you have 2000s born being nostalgic about the early 10s because throughout this decade we've been pushing nostalgia to where stuff from less than a decade ago is deemed "outdated" or "aged horribly".  We're kinda pushing nostalgia to where we don't have to wait 15 or 20 years to stuff to feel retro.

Written By: Dundee on 01/18/19 at 5:45 pm

I don't think I even bothered with the whole 90s kids thing until around 2015. In my High School years I was pretty much exclusively preoccupied by the current. Around 2017 or so though, when college started to take a toll on my moral, my interest in my childhood and the 2000s pretty much suddenly skyrocketed. The stats on this forum are pretty appaling on that, 1/4 of my messages went into the '00s section, I've become such a big nostalgic guy  ;D

Written By: mwalker1996 on 01/19/19 at 10:25 am

I don't think I even bothered with the whole 90s kids thing until around 2015. In my High School years I was pretty much exclusively preoccupied by the current. Around 2017 or so though, when college started to take a toll on my moral, my interest in my childhood and the 2000s pretty much suddenly skyrocketed. The stats on this forum are pretty appaling on that, 1/4 of my messages went into the '00s section, I've become such a big nostalgic guy  ;D
Your pretty much much the represent the general population. Nostalgia was pretty much my thing throughout my teens. 

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/19/19 at 10:35 am

I agree, we started being nostalgic earlier than most. I'm 24 this year and childhood nostalgia for me probably peaked at the start of the current decade despite the fact that I was only 15/16ish. Now the 2000s are genuinely becoming dated, distant and even old school, I feel less nostalgia. It is definitely weird. I still get nostalgic, but not to the same extent as a few years ago.

I also think when the whole 90s kid thing blew up, a lot of us 90s babies fixated on the early 00s since it’s the closest part of the decade to the 90s. You always saw (and sometimes still see) people claiming that the 90s didn’t end until 2005 which is of course silly.

Now though, I think most of us are over that. I’m not a 90s kid and I don’t care. I also think that since we got the whole childhood nostalgia thing out of our systems early, we probably won't be as obnoxious about it as 90s kids were. I am relieved that the 90s kid obsession is dying, that was a painful few years on the internet.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/19/19 at 1:20 pm

Your pretty much much the represent the general population. Nostalgia was pretty much my thing throughout my teens.

That's what I'm saying. I don't think most people are nostalgic throughout their trend like a lot of 90s babies were. You were in your teens in the late 2000s/early 2010s and was nostalgic for your childhood. I was 16-20 in late 2000s/early 2010s and was nostalgic during the same time as you despite the age difference

Written By: mwalker1996 on 01/19/19 at 9:00 pm

That's what I'm saying. I don't think most people are nostalgic throughout their trend like a lot of 90s babies were. You were in your teens in the late 2000s/early 2010s and was nostalgic for your childhood. I was 16-20 in late 2000s/early 2010s and was nostalgic during the same time as you despite the age difference
Right tho, right now I'm nostalgic about the late 00s which is right around the time I started feeling nostalgic but i wasn't into the decade kid stuff yet. The late 00s were interesting period for me because although I was still into kid stuff I was starting to get into popular culture and now i'm just like "wow It's been almost a decade since I became a teenager". I still remember doing the Ricky Bobby and Swag and Surf dance that year, listening to Enimen we made you, saw the rise of Drake, and thinking that every girl by Lil Wayne is the most sexually explicit song I ever heard in my life lol.

Written By: Emman on 01/22/19 at 1:13 pm

I've never really been nostalgic for my childhood that much, actually I look back at my teenage years more.

The 90s are just kind of meh to me.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/23/19 at 1:16 am

It's pretty funny seeing Gen Z/Zoomers (born Late 90s-Early 00s) having a nostalgia explosion for Late 00s-Early 10s things now. When as recently as 2017, people were ranting about how that was the "downfall into sh*t era" for kid culture, lol. The turnaround in opinion for the Late 00s-Early 10s happened rather quickly in 2018.

Written By: Dundee on 01/23/19 at 7:58 am

It's pretty funny seeing Gen Z/Zoomers (born Late 90s-Early 00s) having a nostalgia explosion for Late 00s-Early 10s things now. When as recently as 2017, people were ranting about how that was the "downfall into sh*t era" for kid culture, lol. The turnaround in opinion for the Late 00s-Early 10s happened rather quickly in 2018.
I've literally never saw someone talking sheesh about the kid culture of the early 10s. If anything it's widely praised thanks to the Animation renaissance ushered by "Adventure Time".
It's probably the late 80s/early 90s borns back at it again as they are beyond redeemable and have their head deep stuck in their asses as per usual  ::) ::) ::)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/23/19 at 8:11 am

I've literally never saw someone talking sheesh about the kid culture of the early 10s. If anything it's widely praised thanks to the Animation renaissance ushered by "Adventure Time".
It's probably the late 80s/early 90s borns back at it again as they are beyond redeemable and have their head deep stuck in their asses as per usual  ::) ::) ::)

Minus the animation Renaissance on Cartoon Network & the Neo Disney Renaissance in film.... I wasn't really the biggest fan of early 10s childhood culture either and I was born in the mid 90s :-X, 1990s & Early 2000s FTW!

Written By: Dundee on 01/23/19 at 9:36 am

Minus the animation Renaissance on Cartoon Network & the Neo Disney Renaissance in film.... I wasn't really the biggest fan of early 10s childhood culture either and I was born in the mid 90s :-X, 1990s & Early 2000s FTW!
Lol, not a fan cuz you weren't the target demography much ::)?

People here need to stop bashing kid stuff when they're in their late teens/early 20s, it's getting sad

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/23/19 at 11:00 am

Lol, not a fan cuz you weren't the target demography much ::)?

People here need to stop bashing kid stuff when they're in their late teens/early 20s, it's getting sad

Well perhaps. But I actually commemorate the renaissance in animation from the likes of Disney & Warner Bros. for much of this decade (Nickelodeon..... ehh not so much). I have more of an issue of just the different zeigeist of children culture today. The world of growing up with a tablet or a smartphone. The lack in child friendly platformers for game consoles. The massive rise in PC culture. Those aspects. Children just seem to grow up too fast nowadays. Sort of robbing them of an actual childhood.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 01/24/19 at 5:14 pm

Well perhaps. But I actually commemorate the renaissance in animation from the likes of Disney & Warner Bros. for much of this decade (Nickelodeon..... ehh not so much). I have more of an issue of just the different zeigeist of children culture today. The world of growing up with a tablet or a smartphone. The lack in child friendly platformers for game consoles. The massive rise in PC culture. Those aspects. Children just seem to grow up too fast nowadays. Sort of robbing them of an actual childhood.
True, and to Mr Shuggie you must didn't see any 90s kids videos on YouTube back then because there were plenty of bashing on early 10s kid trend like shake it up and fish hooks on Disney channel. Can did improve but it still had it's weird and sanny reality shows and Nickoldeon of course pretty much stayed stagnant over the course of the 10s.  Back in the early 10s, you were pretty much a punching bag if were born after 1995 especially when it came to music.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/24/19 at 5:27 pm

True, and to Mr Shuggie you must didn't see any 90s kids videos on YouTube back then because there were plenty of bashing on early 10s kid trend like shake it up and fish hooks on Disney channel. Can did improve but it still had it's weird and sanny reality shows and Nickoldeon of course pretty much stayed stagnant over the course of the 10s.  Back in the early 10s, you were pretty much a punching bag if were born after 1995 especially when it came to music.

Yeah. Back then all the memes said 90-94 babies were cool old school 90s ad 95-99 was new school 00s trash. It got on my nerves as a 95er, lol. Feels pretty surreal now that you're seeing memes saying "2000-2002 babies are best" and whatnot.

Written By: Dundee on 01/24/19 at 5:41 pm

Lmao, internet has always worked this way since pretty much it existed

Old = good
New = Not good
Whine whine even more whine
I'm better than you cuz-deeply-I-suffer-from-inferiority-complex

Nothing new under the sun  ::) ::) ::)

I was talking more about more in real life or from actual review people on the internet. I remember quite a few people praising the new cartoons/kid programmings in the early tens.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/26/19 at 12:57 pm

Old = good
New = Not good

I was talking more about more in real life or from actual review people on the internet. I remember quite a few people praising the new cartoons/kid programmings in the early tens.

True. At the end of the day you're always going to have naysayers of current pop culture ;D.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 01/26/19 at 11:05 pm

Old = good
New = Not good

I was talking more about more in real life or from actual review people on the internet. I remember quite a few people praising the new cartoons/kid programmings in the early teens.
Yeah your right. We just wanted you to understand that once upon a time us mid-late 90s born were the kids being bashed like how early-mid 2000s borns are being bashed now. Since we entered our 20's we became the "old grumpy guys" and no longer get made fun of for not growing up in the 90s.

Written By: fusefan on 01/27/19 at 8:57 pm

And I remember in the mid 2000s people my age (born 1990) were being bashed for not being around in the 80s. Although, I agree people my age were more obnoxious about the 90s than the 80s kids when they bashed us. Bashing people over something they have no control over (like what year you were born in) is just plain silly!

Written By: GuapitoChico on 02/10/19 at 10:52 am

Our nostalgia was triggered prematurely because many things that started in the late 90s ended (and actually lasted longer) in the early/mid 00s, but are still referred to as "90s cartoons". And some cartoons such as Ed Edd n Eddy are erroneously labeled as "90s kids only nostalgia" yet the show originally ran 1999-2009. Therefore, when the 90s kids started their nostalgia spree, a lot of us rode along because we also experienced that stuff as well due to their continuation into the new millennium.

The two halves of the 00s are quite distinct. I feel that my cohort (mid to late 90s babies) will experience a two-part nostalgia: one for the first half of the 00s (which is already partly covered by 90s nostalgia), and the other for the second half, since our childhood spanned the entire decade.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/14/19 at 8:31 am

Got a question, I have an answer!

Check for new replies or respond here...