inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90s Pop Culture

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/07/19 at 4:07 pm

I know this sounds weird, but late 1988 just feels distinct from the core 80s, and feel more 90s, because you had new trends like New Jack Swing and House music, and Golden Age of Hip Hop. Teenage mutant ninja turtles was one TV show that kind of started off the 90s, you get the idea. And the core 90s are basically defined by Grunge, Gangster Hip Hop, Alanis Morissette, Mariah Carey, Friends, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and lots more. Culture does feel distinct in 1998, but it’s still somewhat 90s-vibe, with Getting Jiggy with it, TLC, Windows 98, and more, with the introduction of Teen Pop with Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys, and 90s culture felt like it lasted til 9/11. What do you guys think? Was the 90s the longest decade culturally? And no, I didn’t mean to start any decadeology here, just asking

Subject: Re: 90s Pop Culture

Written By: Dundee on 02/07/19 at 4:16 pm

Yeah this is decadeology but whatever.

And nah, I think the opposite would true honestly. The early 90s still scream late-80s (I guess 1988-1991 can be considered its own era), from the fashion to the music to the aesthetics to the conservative politics. 1992 was somewhat transitional with the ubiquity of grunge and toned down aesthetics that would define 1993 up until 1998 or so growing as trends. The 1999-2001 are quite different too in that they have their own aesthetics and kind of music independent from the rest of the 90s.
The core 90s (aka the stereotypical "90s") would have to be one of the shortest eras in my opinion.

What in the heck would 1988 and 2001 make part of the same era?
yPYZpwSpKmA
c18441Eh_WE
zNgcYGgtf8M
znlFu_lemsU
1w7OgIMMRc4
eVTXPUF4Oz4

Yeah no, doesn't work

Check for new replies or respond here...