inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did you immerse in pop culture?

Written By: GuapitoChico on 02/14/19 at 1:53 am

In my opinion, I think pop culture is mainly and adolescent thing because it’s very centered on identity, so I guess we could safely say that the main audience would consist of middle schoolers, high schoolers, and college students. Around 11-22. Of course, there are many exceptions to this; many get a head start much earlier on while others are still heavily into cartoons at later age.

When did you personally begin immersing yourself in pop culture? To be more exact, when did you start transitioning from kid culture to pop culture and when do you think you’ve finished transitioning?

Details too. Were you into new releases of that time? or perhaps you were into older releases that were still highly popular?

Subject: Re: When did you immerse in pop culture?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/14/19 at 6:35 am

I don't know if "immerse" is quite the word, but for me the transition was in 6th grade (ages 10 1/2 to 11 1/2).  This was 1970/1971.  I had some interest in grown up TV shows before then (it was easy to love late 60's TV) but I wasn't otherwise interested in pop culture before 6th grade - save really big events like the moon landing, Beatles breakup or Woodstock.  It was during 6th grade that I started listening to my own music (as opposed to what the family was doing).  That was also when I lost interest in cartoons, in favor of grown up programming.

For me, I'd call the shift somewhat gradual - but firm.

I loved the current music of the early 1970's - my music of choice at the time was Top 40.  Bubblegum was quite appealing, but I liked many styles then.  I wasn't into 60's (or earlier) music - although to be honest at the time I couldn't always distinguish the age of a song unless the DJ made it explicit...

:)

Written By: Howard on 02/14/19 at 3:46 pm

I guess I would say probably the mid to late 1980's when I was in my late teens.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/15/19 at 12:55 pm

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/15/19 at 1:20 pm

I started to become aware of pop culture literally 20 years ago. Immersed in it about 12 years ago.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/15/19 at 5:45 pm

I say 2010 but was kinda aware of pop-culture dating back to 2006 with Bow Wow and Ciara break up,

Written By: 2001 on 02/15/19 at 6:45 pm

When I was 10 (2003). Me and my friends started watching music videos on Yahoo! Music, watching music shows on TV and buying CDs.

I didn't start listening to the radio until 2004 though. That's also when I started watching more adult-oriented TV such as Friends, Lost and many others.

Written By: fusefan on 02/15/19 at 9:26 pm

Since about 1998-99.

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/16/19 at 6:45 am

Somewhere between 2003 and 2006. In 2003 it was lowkey - I had some singles but wasn’t too invested in pop culture and didn’t have well-developed preferences. In 2006 I started forming preferences for certain genres and had a good idea of what I liked and didn’t like.

Written By: Contigo on 01/16/22 at 10:00 am

When did you immerse in pop culture?

As I look back, I reckon 1966 to 1967, when I was 10-11 years old.
I lost interest in pop culture roughly around the year 1990.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/22 at 10:17 am

When did you immerse in pop culture?

As I look back, I reckon 1966 to 1967, when I was 10-11 years old.
I lost interest in pop culture roughly around the year 1990.
You sound the same as me, but I was heavily influence by my elder sister who as into the Beatles, etc.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 01/17/22 at 9:16 pm

Summer 2012. All it took was my friend turning on my radio

Check for new replies or respond here...