inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Time perception and age

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/23/19 at 7:25 pm

I'm sure a lot of people here know that time really does feel a lot faster as you get older, and I kind of wanted to make a discussion about it.

It's weird as hell tbh. The gap between 2013-2016 feels like it went on for like millions of years, at least for me. I was 11-14 years old and still in elementary and middle school. I started high school in late 2016 but even early-mid 2016 doesn't feel way too long ago for me right now. I'm actually surprised they are even the same distance apart because where I was in 2013 was a universe away from where I was in 2016, but where I was in 2016 hasn't changed too much.

It's really weird, and I feel like age really does play a role in your perception of time. In fact, I'd even argue it's the main factor in how you perceive time.

Maybe this is one of the reasons why older people feel as if the 2010s haven't really brought a lot of change. Which is why I genuinely believe that younger people who grew up in the 2010s would be better at pointing out the changes because they were the main target for a lot of things.

Subject: Re: Time perception and age

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/23/19 at 7:36 pm

Maybe this is one of the reasons why older people feel as if the 2010s haven't really brought a lot of change. Which is why I genuinely believe that younger people who grew up in the 2010s would be better at pointing out the changes because they were the main target for a lot of things.

You are absolutely correct that time appears to move MUCH faster the older one gets. If I am not mistaken, there may even be a technical/scientific name for this phenomenon.

The one slight correction I would make to your theory that "I genuinely believe that younger people who grew up in the 2010s would be better at pointing out the changes because they were the main target for a lot of things", is that, while it is in fact true, the REASON is not because they were the "main TARGET for a lot of things" (even though they were), but because of the very concept that you are pointing out that time does not move as fast for them, so they are better at noticing, and being affected/influenced by every incremental little change and nuance as they are smack in the middle of it. Whereas a lot of this ebb and flow might seem more a "wash" to a much older person.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/19 at 8:46 pm

You are absolutely correct that time appears to move MUCH faster the older one gets. If I am not mistaken, there may even be a technical/scientific name for this phenomenon.

I totally agree with you, time does appear to travel quickly, so days the time I perceive it to be, I find to be much later. I do not known any medical/technical/scientific name for this.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/23/19 at 9:05 pm

I totally agree with you, time does appear to travel quickly, so days the time I perceive it to be, I find to be much later. I do not known any medical/technical/scientific name for this.

Why Does Time Seem To Speed Up With Age?

www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-does-time-seem-to-speed-up-with-age/

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/23/19 at 10:22 pm

I'm sure a lot of people here know that time really does feel a lot faster as you get older, and I kind of wanted to make a discussion about it.

It's weird as hell tbh. The gap between 2013-2016 feels like it went on for like millions of years, at least for me. I was 11-14 years old and still in elementary and middle school. I started high school in late 2016 but even early-mid 2016 doesn't feel way too long ago for me right now. I'm actually surprised they are even the same distance apart because where I was in 2013 was a universe away from where I was in 2016, but where I was in 2016 hasn't changed too much.

It's really weird, and I feel like age really does play a role in your perception of time. In fact, I'd even argue it's the main factor in how you perceive time.

I can sorta relate your statement about 2013-16 even though I was much older at the time. In 2013 I was still in high school, not active on social media, remember being hype about the 8th generation of consoles, and the Harlem shake. 2016 does feel sorta recent espically late 2016 since I was already in my 20s by then, but the year that strikes me as the distant past is 2008. Every year of the 2010s felt pretty fast since I spent this decade from age 14-23. Even though a lot of big changes happen in my life in this decade, there was more consistency in this decade for me than the 00s. From 2010-now: I owned a smartphone, watched YouTube on a regular basis, watched nostalgia videos,  hearing people say they miss the 90s,  been writing poetry, and everyone complaining about kids these days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/19 at 3:12 am

Why Does Time Seem To Speed Up With Age?

www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-does-time-seem-to-speed-up-with-age/
Thanks!

One reason is for it takes slower to do things you did quicker in the past.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/24/19 at 7:54 am

Thanks!

One reason is for it takes slower to do things you did quicker in the past.

I might add that just because time in general appears to go by much faster for older people like myself, it does NOT mean that specific tedious tasks or boring  situations go by any faster. Long waits in line, boring speeches one must suffer through, waiting that last hour at work when one just wants to go home, etc, take just as long and are just as torturous as they always were. One might say "a lifetime flies, a minute drags".

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/24/19 at 8:15 am

Some days I get out of bed, walk around my apartment and think to myself ‘when did I stop being 12 years old?’.

Time is a funny thing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/19 at 8:52 am

Some days I get out of bed, walk around my apartment and think to myself ‘when did I stop being 12 years old?’.

Time is a funny thing.

...and now it's nearly 3pm... !!!

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/24/19 at 9:15 am

...and now it's nearly 3pm... !!!

And now it’s quarter past! Time sure flies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/19 at 11:24 am

Now it's starting to get dark, and still want to take a walk before it does so, maybe tomorrow?

Written By: karen on 02/24/19 at 11:35 am

I guess another reason that our perception of how quickly time is passing changes is because a year is a long time when you are ten - it is a tenth of your life. But when you are 50 a year is a much smaller fraction of your total life

Written By: Howard on 02/24/19 at 2:46 pm

and half the day is almost over. :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/19 at 2:47 pm

and half the day is almost over. :o
...only 3 hours left here!

Written By: Howard on 02/24/19 at 2:48 pm

Time seems to go faster when you are busy at work or working in general, it goes slower when you're feeling you're doing nothing.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/19 at 2:48 pm

...only 3 hours left here!

2 hours here!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/19 at 2:54 pm

2 hours here!!
It's 10pm where you are?

Written By: Howard on 02/24/19 at 3:12 pm

It's 10pm where you are?

4pm.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/19 at 3:15 pm

4pm.
There 8 hours...

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/24/19 at 6:23 pm

I was just reading a forum I posted in nearly 20 years ago about vehicle projects.  Things that I did just a couple years prior I kept referring to as "a long time ago", and I started and finished things much more quickly.  These days it takes longer to accomplish anything.  And a couple years doesn't really seem like a long time anymore.  Every weekend seems like the previous weekend was just yesterday.

This happens at work often too.  Many of us have been there over 20 years.  We often try to remember something we did on a job and usually think it was only a couple years ago.  Often it turns out it was 5-10 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/19 at 5:53 am

I was just reading a forum I posted in nearly 20 years ago about vehicle projects.  Things that I did just a couple years prior I kept referring to as "a long time ago", and I started and finished things much more quickly.  These days it takes longer to accomplish anything.  And a couple years doesn't really seem like a long time anymore.  Every weekend seems like the previous weekend was just yesterday.

This happens at work often too.  Many of us have been there over 20 years.  We often try to remember something we did on a job and usually think it was only a couple years ago.  Often it turns out it was 5-10 years ago.

and every weekend seems to go so fast and by the time it's over, Monday comes around again.

Written By: cowboy on 02/25/19 at 6:57 am

As my personal life had many changes since 2013, to me it feels like a long long time ago. I lived in 4 different cities in 3 different countries and changed 2 jobs since then. However, even some 2008 hit songs feel like they came just a few years ago or something, not 11! How's that contradiction even possible? :o Anyone that notices the same? At the same time I feel that had I stayed at the same place and job I was in 2013 until now, 2013 would feel like yesterday. But music from then still feels like very new.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/25/19 at 11:35 am

Another thing I realized is everything seems to run faster now.  For example the sound snippet on the original NES, Duck Hunt, when the dog picked up the duck(s) you shot.  I heard it not too long ago and it is about 1.5x the speed from how I remember it when I was a kid.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/19 at 7:22 am

Another thing I realized is everything seems to run faster now.  For example the sound snippet on the original NES, Duck Hunt, when the dog picked up the duck(s) you shot.  I heard it not too long ago and it is about 1.5x the speed from how I remember it when I was a kid.

How is it faster?  ???

Written By: Howard on 02/26/19 at 7:24 am

This coming April will mark 12 years since I've done carts and time does go fast when you're busy and years later down the road within a blink of an eye, you look back and can't believe where time went!

Written By: Catherine91UK on 03/10/19 at 10:11 am

I remember how a year felt like a really long time when I was a child. When I moved up from first school to middle school after 4 years, it felt like I'd been at first school forever. But when I think of things that happened a year ago, it feels like they only happened a couple of months ago.

Written By: cowboy on 03/10/19 at 11:13 am

^^Lol I'm the opposite. ;D Music, movies and TV shows even from 2005-2010 feel somehow very recent and vivid in my mind, like "they came out a few months ago". Anyone can relate?

Yet, when it comes to my personal life, 2005 feels like ages ago, even 2013 feels very long ago. Mind you, I really changed lots of jobs and relocated several times since 2013. Maybe if I was still working at the same job and didn't move as often, 2013 would still appear recent. So add the almost complete change in pop music and politics and the early 2010s to me look very distant. :P On the other hand, 2006 looked very recent to me in 2010 as I had only one change - going from high school to uni and my relocation was just 30 miles away from my home city so I visited almost every weekend. The biggest difference back then was that 2010 pop music sounded better than 2006 music to me. :D

Written By: 2012emo on 03/10/19 at 11:45 am

i think it's because you were in two different stages in your life in 2013-2016. you were a child in the beginning and a teenager at the end, which is a pretty major difference. you're still a teenager in 2019 though, which i guess makes 2016 not seem very far away since you're still in the same life stage now.

Check for new replies or respond here...