inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Japanese music (日本の音楽)

Written By: 2001 on 02/24/19 at 11:42 am

From any decade! Let's hear it. :D

Asian Kung-fu Generation – Blue Train (2005) / Rock

x9nkiTeuYRo

Denki Groove – Pocket Cowboy (1997) / Electronic

oR7pVlbs3XE

Subject: Re: Japanese music (日本の音楽)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/19 at 11:44 am

"Ue o Muite Arukō" (上を向いて歩こう, "I Look Up As I Walk", alternatively titled "Sukiyaki") is a song by Japanese crooner Kyu Sakamoto, first released in Japan in 1961.

C35DrtPlUbc

Lyrics
上を向いて歩こう
涙がこぼれないように
思い出す 春の日
一人ぽっちの夜

上を向いて歩こう
にじんだ星をかぞえて
思い出す 夏の日
一人ぽっちの夜

幸せは 雲の上に
幸せは 空の上に
上を向いて歩こう
涙がこぼれないように
泣きながら 歩く
一人ぽっちの夜

思い出す 秋の日
一人ぽっちの夜
悲しみは星のかげに
悲しみは月のかげに
上を向いて歩こう
涙がこぼれないように
泣きながら 歩く
一人ぽっちの夜
一人ぽっちの夜

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/24/19 at 12:15 pm

Here's one from the organic 70s. "Yumo O Moto" by Yoko Ono, released only in Japan as a single in 1974. It saw release in the US on her 1991 box set "Onobox" on Rykodisc. The very George Harrison-esque slide guitar is by studio guitarist David Spinoza who was on many records in the 70s. English translation of the title is "Let's Have A Dream".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkJkgll5bY4

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/19 at 12:26 pm

Here's one from the organic 70s. "Yumo O Moto" by Yoko Ono, released only in Japan as a single in 1974. It saw release in the US on her 1991 box set "Onobox" on Rykodisc. The very George Harrison-esque slide guitar is by studio guitarist David Spinoza who was on many records in the 70s. English translation of the title is "Let's Have A Dream".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkJkgll5bY4
This is the first time I have heard Yoko Ono sing properly, usually I hear the flip-side to one of John Lennon's singles when she is just screaming.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/24/19 at 12:35 pm

This is the first time I have heard Yoko Ono sing properly, usually I hear the flip-side to one of John Lennon's singles when she is just screaming.

Yoko's albums from the 70s and 80s are filled with conventionally (well, as "conventional" as she gets, and I mean that as a compliment) sung songs, written by her and done in the rock and pop styles and structures of the day. Many of them have lyrics of a strongly feminist slant that would not be out of place today. Some terrific musicians back her up including Ringo, Eric Clapton, Jim Keltner, avant garde jazzer Ornette Coleman, flautist Jeremy Steig, Earl Slick, even Mick Jagger makes an uncredited appearance on guitar on one song. And, of course, John Lennon.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/19 at 2:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbNey-pES1g
Hitomi Tohyama - Exotic Yokogao (1983)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/19 at 9:42 pm

Ryuichi Sakamoto score for Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983)

LF9_9MZyQGo

Sakamoto's score won the film a BAFTA Award for Best Film Music.

Check for new replies or respond here...