inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is the highest speed you'll go on interstates?

Written By: mqg96 on 02/25/19 at 7:56 pm

We are talking about US highways that are 55-65 MPH or interstates that are 65-75 MPH depending on your area. If you're always in a rush to work, an aggressive driver, a conservative driver, a far left lane driver, a far right lane driver, a young fast driver, an elderly slow driver, or whatever, just explain to me what speed you usually go? As a 23 year old who's had his license since age 16, I always go 10-15+ MPH over the speed limit when there's hardly any cars around me and no cops around. Some smaller towns that go down to 35 or 25 MPH I only go at the speed limit because the police/sheriffs are really hawking you big time. Sometimes the police will hide in blind spots and surprise you so you must be careful. State patrols on interstates don't play and will ticket you AND mail ticket you with 2 expensive fines. The most I'll go is between 80-85 MPH on a 70 MPH speed limit interstate, but I always do it safely. If it's a 55 MPH highway then I go no higher than 65 or 70 MPH. I don't try to switch lanes a bunch of times and go around cars aggressively like the stupid drivers do who will go 20-25+ MPH over the speed limit like crazy.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/US_41.svg/1024px-US_41.svg.png

https://dfcby4322olzt.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/I-95-sign.jpg

https://www.aaroads.com/ca/010/summit-rd-n-at-i-010-1.jpg

Subject: Re: What is the highest speed you'll go on interstates?

Written By: 2001 on 02/25/19 at 8:04 pm

I'm an ultra conservative driver. I stick with the posted speed limit unless traffic is flowing faster than that. At nighttime though (like past 12AM) if there's barely any other cars on the road I might be sneaky and go 20 km/h (10-15 miles) above the limit, meaning 120 km/h (75 mi/h) is the fastest I'll go.

I don't try to switch lanes a bunch of times and go around cars aggressively like the stupid drivers do who will go 20-25+ MPH over the speed limit like crazy.

That's my dad lmao. I'm terrified everytime I have to sit in a car with him. Shockingly, he's never had an accident in his life :o

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/26/19 at 4:43 pm

I'd say 80. But keep in mind, I live in a very densely populated region of the country, the NYC Metropolitan area to be exact. So most highways aren't necessarily built for high speeding above say 65-70 MPH. 80 is thus the highest I'd ever go, and even then thats rather rare.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/26/19 at 7:22 pm

I typically keep it below 70.  Stay in the right lane and others can pass me if they want.  Any faster than that and it gets more stressful and uses considerably more gas.  Also gets hairy in crosswinds.

I couple years ago I went out west, there was a lot of interstate with 80 mph limit.  I did it because we had a tight schedule but didn't like it.

I'm one who would rather leisurely drive the side roads anyway.  So I live in a sparsely populated area.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/01/19 at 12:17 pm

I'd say 80. But keep in mind, I live in a very densely populated region of the country, the NYC Metropolitan area to be exact. So most highways aren't necessarily built for high speeding above say 65-70 MPH. 80 is thus the highest I'd ever go, and even then thats rather rare.

Yeah I couldn't drive in NYC, that would be too much for me. If I lived there the max I would go is probably 65-70 MPH on interstates and that's only if it's rarely clear space. Most of the time I've been in NYC it's just cars cluttered everywhere, even on the interstates too.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/01/19 at 1:01 pm

Yeah I couldn't drive in NYC, that would be too much for me. If I lived there the max I would go is probably 65-70 MPH on interstates and that's only if it's rarely clear space. Most of the time I've been in NYC it's just cars cluttered everywhere, even on the interstates too.

True dat. Especially in the winter months, the traffic conditions can get brutal.

Here is an example from a few months ago:

StOjuGCMydU

However, even where I'm at in the suburbs across the Hudson, it could still get pretty bad, congestion wise. We have a lot of those so called 'highways', sort of speak, that act as major roadways in and out of New York, but still having readily easy residential/business access, which thus cause them to also act as businesses districts or neo 'main streets'.

Here in NJ, Roads like U.S Route 1, U.S Route 9, U.S Route 206, & U.S Route 46, among others, act as major roadways with strip malls, restaurants, & other amenities on the side. It doesn't help the fact that a lot of these roads, especially the more south & west you go (essentially, the more rural) from away from 'the city' start to have a more consistent array of traffic lights. NJ also has a weird thing called a 'jughandle' in which on these major highways, that eventually begin to host traffic lights I remind you, you CANNOT make a left turn, but rather have to go through this 'jugular' shaped exit off the highway to merge on the street your trying to go onto, wait for the traffic light to turn after you get onto that street, and then go on your merry way.

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/images/fig2b_09_2.gif

It is arguably the dumbest traffic system known to man 8-P.

This makes driving to and from the city during rush hour an emotional drain...
So listening to fast paced Future Funk keeps me awake ;D
Ha2V-lQvD_w&list=PLqeTNHdKAyNqU-Vl9hSGjjifOHEJBhqZ1&index=53&t=0s&frags=pl%2Cwn

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/01/19 at 1:55 pm

Yeah it's hard to really speed in the tri-state area especially within the 5 Boros.

Written By: karen on 03/06/19 at 4:42 pm

Those junctions stop you getting stuck behind a car turning across the traffic though. I've seen similar layouts on more rural roads in Spain.

In the UK the speed limit on motorways is 70mph and I generally drive around that speed, maybe maximum of 75mph.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/19/19 at 3:01 pm

I take the city bus to get to places and sometimes they drive way too fast! Other days they drive so slowly I end up being late. But I ain't driving no car lol. Not ever.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/21 at 1:32 pm

Back in my driving days, I remember getting my little Sentra up to 90 on Route 90 in San Antonio. I don't think I could have gotten her to go any faster if I wanted to.

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/31/21 at 2:25 pm

I try not to go above 80. I mean, it's one thing to "go with the flow," but it's another to just go too fast. I do NOT wanna get pulled over and ticketed. I have a very clean driving record, and I wanna keep it that way.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/31/21 at 5:42 pm

Depends on where I'm at and what the traffic flow is. I generally go 5 mph over the speed limit, so in Nebraska I'll go 80 on I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln.

If I'm going through South Dakota where the speed limit is 80 then I'll do 85.

Written By: whistledog on 08/03/21 at 12:41 am

In Canada (at least here in Ontario), the speed limit on most major freeways (or highways as we call them) is 100km, which equals 62mph.  The major highway here is the 401 and I drive it often, but I don't always do 100.  It's quite a dangerous highway (they literally created a TV show on The Discovery Channel all about the accidents that happen on it) so I usually go the speed the other cars are going, which is typically 120-130. 

Written By: nally on 08/20/21 at 11:51 pm

In Canada (at least here in Ontario), the speed limit on most major freeways (or highways as we call them) is 100km, which equals 62mph.  The major highway here is the 401 and I drive it often, but I don't always do 100.

...which makes sense, since that is close to 65mph, the typical speed limit on most freeways in the States (at least where I've seen).

Check for new replies or respond here...