inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: People in 2019 still believe in stereotypes

Written By: cowboy on 03/12/19 at 5:51 pm

Why do so many people in 2019 associate liking a large part of pop and dance music with being gay? I'm skinny and like some pop/dance and many people assume my sexuality. I think such people are homophobic and judgemental. They try to identify anyone "not right", "the sinful other", looking for someone to hate or make fun at. But even so-called accepting communities like Pop Justice actually can perpetruate close-mindedness and stereotyping. Someone there told me "Come on, you can't like and be straight". Lol @ the stupidity. ;D

I'm straight, yet liking a good tune regardless of what style it is. I can listen to Kanye, Drake, Ne-Yo, Eminem as well as I wouldn't turn off the radio if Miley or Gaga start playing. I fondly remember many of their old songs. On the other hand I have a gay friend who's muscular and likes metal yet people assume he's straight. People are so stupid sometimes. :o Do you think the number of such close-minded people will decline?

Subject: Re: People in 2019 still believe in stereotypes

Written By: 2001 on 03/12/19 at 5:58 pm

Lol people on pop forums like Pop Justice are assumed gay until they insist otherwise ;D

I don't think the association will go away anytime soon, since a lot of these pop stars/divas actually are a huge part of gay male culture. Of course the pop stars can have straight male fans too, but once you consider the ratios, the stereotype is based on some resemblance of the truth.

Written By: aja675 on 03/12/19 at 6:01 pm

Lol people on pop forums like Pop Justice are assumed gay until they insist otherwise ;D

I don't think the association will go away anytime soon, since a lot of these pop stars/divas actually are a huge part of gay male culture. Of course the pop stars can have straight male fans too, but once you consider the ratios, the stereotype is based on some resemblance of the truth.
  :D ;D

Written By: cowboy on 03/12/19 at 6:50 pm

I think many people on PJ are more of the celebrity worshiper type rather than true fans of their art. Some people have smart, analyzing opinions. But too often someone will derail a thread with putting down a rival celebrity. I just find drama toxic. I personally try to avoid threads about celebs I don't like. And they don't like male artists at all, even if they have a good song out. I think many there live trough those stars rather than liking their songs that much. ;D

That's why I'm surprised how a better forum like InThe00s can't attract the same number of people. Here the people have generally always been of higher quality.

Written By: aja675 on 03/13/19 at 6:52 am

I think many people on PJ are more of the celebrity worshiper type rather than true fans of their art. Some people have smart, analyzing opinions. But too often someone will derail a thread with putting down a rival celebrity. I just find drama toxic. I personally try to avoid threads about celebs I don't like. And they don't like male artists at all, even if they have a good song out. I think many there live trough those stars rather than liking their songs that much. ;D

That's why I'm surprised how a better forum like InThe00s can't attract the same number of people. Here the people have generally always been of higher quality.
BTW, I have some crazy stories involving some pop forums. Both of which are obscure. OK, so I have a bunch of accounts on better-known pop forums like UKMix, ATRL, and Buzzjack, but I don't use those accounts much except for my account on the last site. However, I refuse to say which forums because the archiving system has suddenly started to work after three years of being broken. ;D

1. Some pop forum which fancies itself as "not being like other pop forums." So too many hints of teen forum or ATRL in your posting style would make you an outcast there. It also thinks of itself as being way nicer than it was than it was 15 years ago, and it's not wrong. But trust me, if your posting style is way too incompatible with that forum's groupthink, you would make everyone forget it's not 2004 anymore. Also, these things could also describe one of its top posters. He has a reputation as being severely toned down compared to the mid-'00s or so. Well, it's true, but he did start from a low bar to be honest. He's only 10-12 years removed from telling everyone and their mom to get cancer, after all. Fair enough to him, he no longer shouts at everyone like was the case a decade ago, but yeah, go against that forum's groupthink, and he will shout at you. OK, so he won't wish AIDS or cancer on you anymore, but he will definitely act like you're a crap auditionee on American Idol and he's Simon Cowell.  ;D Looking back, my entire posting career on that forum, bar my first few posts when I fit in and didn't yet get the urge to attention seek, would be best described with this LOL.* Fun fact: the Urban Dictionary definition of that site, from 2007 when that forum was more openly vicious, says something about that guy pushing away newbies and when I sent it to another inthe00s member, he told me, "Why do you like this guy again?" ;D

2. Some forum which died in December. And was dying a slow death long before that ever since it bled members when a new forum was set up which most of its members wound up joining. I joined it because of a bunch of old mentions from the late '00s, and I was kinda impressed that such an old and past-its-peak forum still existed. By the time I joined it in August, it was a sockpuppet-ridden sheeshhole. And I can't blame people for thinking I was another sockpuppet of the same guy yet again. You see, it was hard to believe that a brand-new member with no ties to anyone from there would join such an old and obscure forum, because half of its members were all really the same guy. When I was there, its membership consisted of these people: banned members from the other forum, the moderator, the sockpuppet guy, this loony Scot who personality-wise, if you were to compare her to a celebrity, she would be like maybe Lauren Harries with more anger issues, and assorted people from the other forum who were there for receipts about the sockpuppet guy who mostly posted on the other forum, but was obsessed with trolling this one forum. Oh, and some guys who posted on both forums. You see, everything about me screamed "sockpuppet." Like, the first time I lurked, I was viewing a thread about the sockpuppet guy because I read gossip somewhere else about someone close to him and also, when I was accused of being him, I looked up more threads about him because I wanted to know just who I was being accused of, and I took a pic to prove I wasn't him complete with a sign saying I wasn't him, which the other guy also did to prove he wasn't someone else, and fair enough, yes I did get the idea from him, but I thought the pic I took was incontrovertible proof I was who I was claiming to be. But instead, the pic made me seem like I was a relative or friend with benefits tricked into being a pawn for him. Also, I joined the other forum where I was welcomed with open arms. But I slipped up after posting my Instagram there. Oh, and now that they knew my name, they found my Quora, filled with edgy questions involving violence and death which I made as a release, from when I was suffering the aftermath of something and Quora's moderation was more lax.

*This too is pretty descriptive of my experiences with that forum LOL. ;D

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/19 at 7:55 am

^I thought you quoted me for a second and was thinking "erm... I already know who and what you're talking about" ;D

Written By: cowboy on 03/13/19 at 10:10 am

aja675, I'm just speechless. ;D But yeah, lots of people use the Web to destress by trolling and spilling hatred all over it. It's way too easy to forget on the other end there's a real person with feelings. :-\\

Reminds me of that time I joined a pop forum of mostly teens. Everyone there mistook me for the mother of one then-popular singer, who also posted there. They mistake me for a sockpuppet of this lady as one or twice I made fun of someone too obsessed with the personal life of a celebrity (they sounded stalker-ish). I also posted poetry there. That lady would make fun of the fans of her daughter's rivals and she would go "My daughter is a much better singer than her, she's not a trashy h* like her".

She'd also post insulting poetry against them. Imagine having Demi Lovato's mother attack Selena or Taylor Swift, usually in poetry form. ;D She kinda ruined her daughter's career when she also started talking trash about her record company (the most powerful one in the country). I guess the daughter got blacklisted by her label and her career fizzled. Not smart. At all! I learned that a celebrity will always have haters or people that just don't like them. So I no longer take it personally when someone insults a celebrity or a song/movie I like. We all have our tastes. I also learned that if me or another person I know becomes a celebrity not to read very negative opinions and reviews and not to try to change their opinion by writing back. It's futile.

Though, looking back, it's good I never mentioned on pop forums that I like some songs from The White Stripes. ;D That's almost like saying you like electropop and Gaga, Katy Perry, Ne-Yo, 50 Cent, Drake etc. in a metal forum.

Written By: aja675 on 03/15/19 at 7:31 am

BTW, I have some crazy stories involving some pop forums. Both of which are obscure. OK, so I have a bunch of accounts on better-known pop forums like UKMix, ATRL, and Buzzjack, but I don't use those accounts much except for my account on the last site. However, I refuse to say which forums because the archiving system has suddenly started to work after three years of being broken. ;D

1. Some pop forum which fancies itself as "not being like other pop forums." So too many hints of teen forum or ATRL in your posting style would make you an outcast there. It also thinks of itself as being way nicer than it was than it was 15 years ago, and it's not wrong. But trust me, if your posting style is way too incompatible with that forum's groupthink, you would make everyone forget it's not 2004 anymore. Also, these things could also describe one of its top posters. He has a reputation as being severely toned down compared to the mid-'00s or so. Well, it's true, but he did start from a low bar to be honest. He's only 10-12 years removed from telling everyone and their mom to get cancer, after all. Fair enough to him, he no longer shouts at everyone like was the case a decade ago, but yeah, go against that forum's groupthink, and he will shout at you. OK, so he won't wish AIDS or cancer on you anymore, but he will definitely act like you're a crap auditionee on American Idol and he's Simon Cowell.  ;D Looking back, my entire posting career on that forum, bar my first few posts when I fit in and didn't yet get the urge to attention seek, would be best described with this LOL.* Fun fact: the Urban Dictionary definition of that site, from 2007 when that forum was more openly vicious, says something about that guy pushing away newbies and when I sent it to another inthe00s member, he told me, "Why do you like this guy again?" ;D

2. Some forum which died in December. And was dying a slow death long before that ever since it bled members when a new forum was set up which most of its members wound up joining. I joined it because of a bunch of old mentions from the late '00s, and I was kinda impressed that such an old and past-its-peak forum still existed. By the time I joined it in August, it was a sockpuppet-ridden sheeshhole. And I can't blame people for thinking I was another sockpuppet of the same guy yet again. You see, it was hard to believe that a brand-new member with no ties to anyone from there would join such an old and obscure forum, because half of its members were all really the same guy. When I was there, its membership consisted of these people: banned members from the other forum, the moderator, the sockpuppet guy, this loony Scot who personality-wise, if you were to compare her to a celebrity, she would be like maybe Lauren Harries with more anger issues, and assorted people from the other forum who were there for receipts about the sockpuppet guy who mostly posted on the other forum, but was obsessed with trolling this one forum. Oh, and some guys who posted on both forums. You see, everything about me screamed "sockpuppet." Like, the first time I lurked, I was viewing a thread about the sockpuppet guy because I read gossip somewhere else about someone close to him and also, when I was accused of being him, I looked up more threads about him because I wanted to know just who I was being accused of, and I took a pic to prove I wasn't him complete with a sign saying I wasn't him, which the other guy also did to prove he wasn't someone else, and fair enough, yes I did get the idea from him, but I thought the pic I took was incontrovertible proof I was who I was claiming to be. But instead, the pic made me seem like I was a relative or friend with benefits tricked into being a pawn for him. Also, I joined the other forum where I was welcomed with open arms. But I slipped up after posting my Instagram there. Oh, and now that they knew my name, they found my Quora, filled with edgy questions involving violence and death which I made as a release, from when I was suffering the aftermath of something and Quora's moderation was more lax.

BTW, the first forum has a totally different style from other forums. Not quite as Ebonics and RuPaul's Drag Race-influenced and not quite as .gif-filled. Its humor is quite ''bitchy middle-aged woman from an '80s or '90s BBC sitcom." Oh, and with lots of random capitalizations too. A bunch of people have said that if any celebrity influenced that forum's sense of humor, it would be the late Victoria Wood. (On a side note, wow, I can't understand that woman. Such a thick accent. She grew up only an hour away from my uncle and cousins from Derbyshire, but I could actually understand them. ;D)

Written By: 2001 on 03/15/19 at 8:00 am

aja675, I'm just speechless. ;D But yeah, lots of people use the Web to destress by trolling and spilling hatred all over it. It's way too easy to forget on the other end there's a real person with feelings. :-\\

Reminds me of that time I joined a pop forum of mostly teens. Everyone there mistook me for the mother of one then-popular singer, who also posted there. They mistake me for a sockpuppet of this lady as one or twice I made fun of someone too obsessed with the personal life of a celebrity (they sounded stalker-ish). I also posted poetry there. That lady would make fun of the fans of her daughter's rivals and she would go "My daughter is a much better singer than her, she's not a trashy h* like her".

She'd also post insulting poetry against them. Imagine having Demi Lovato's mother attack Selena or Taylor Swift, usually in poetry form. ;D She kinda ruined her daughter's career when she also started talking trash about her record company (the most powerful one in the country). I guess the daughter got blacklisted by her label and her career fizzled. Not smart. At all! I learned that a celebrity will always have haters or people that just don't like them. So I no longer take it personally when someone insults a celebrity or a song/movie I like. We all have our tastes. I also learned that if me or another person I know becomes a celebrity not to read very negative opinions and reviews and not to try to change their opinion by writing back. It's futile.

Though, looking back, it's good I never mentioned on pop forums that I like some songs from The White Stripes. ;D That's almost like saying you like electropop and Gaga, Katy Perry, Ne-Yo, 50 Cent, Drake etc. in a metal forum.

Hmm the latter was me, except I admitted to liking Avril Lavigne, Simple Plan etc. on a metal forum ;D

Written By: cowboy on 03/15/19 at 2:50 pm

Hmm the latter was me, except I admitted to liking Avril Lavigne, Simple Plan etc. on a metal forum ;D

;D Yeah, I just don't like fitting in clean cut little boxes. Why ignore all the great songs out there and focus on just one or two? When it comes to TV/movies it's more commonly accepted to watch all genres I think.
Re: my OP, I think people just like groups and cliques where they feel they belong... and my tastes are too varied so I don't really fit completely with pop/dance fans, nor Rnb/rap ones or the rock bunch. I think by now the 60s/70s ideas would've made us slightly less "us vs them".

Written By: aja675 on 03/16/19 at 7:48 am

Did you lurk the Comeback corner, or did you stick to Pop & Justice? If the previous were the case, you no doubt encountered this one Australian guy with a bunch of music video uploads. He's prominent in the retro pop community, and he was also top dog on the second forum I mentioned. ;D

Written By: cowboy on 03/16/19 at 8:37 am

^I vaguly remember someone like that, but I left a long time ago (2013). Now I only lurk on the Gaga comeback threads and I enjoy she's notable once again. I'd love for other washed-out late 00s/early 2010s celebrities to comeback as well.
I think the Hit Factory forum was better than most pop forums. There was also some dance/disco forum that was more positive. Both went under though. :-X

Written By: aja675 on 03/16/19 at 8:57 am

But his join date was in Nov. 2013.

Written By: cowboy on 03/16/19 at 9:15 am

But his join date was in Nov. 2013.

Lol, then he sounds similar to someone else.

Written By: aja675 on 03/17/19 at 5:31 am

Wasn't PJ stricter with banning .gifs when you were there? These days, .gifs are plentiful on Popjustice, but they are still something to use under-the-table and something to get away with. :P

BTW, I'm gonna make this post as long as possible so I wouldn't have to clog your thread up with short and numerous posts. Funnily enough, on ATRL*, and ATRL knockoffs, they've criticized Popjustice for the dry British humor and the inability to use smileys. And at the same time, forum no. 1 criticizes Popjustice for what Popjustice hates about ATRL: too many .gifs and stan Twitter slang terms. I once saw a comment there saying that for some reason, PJ's moderation was really strict. And another member from here criticized forum no. 1 for what ATRL hates about Popjustice: too much British dryness and um, yeah, just mentally replace "no smilies" with "no .gifs, ATRL-style talk, and Negative Man smilies." :P

*https://classic.atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?p=14061862#14061862

Written By: cowboy on 03/17/19 at 10:06 am

I think PJ had less gifs back then. I find it too catty there.

Written By: aja675 on 03/17/19 at 10:22 am

But was it 100% .gif-free?

EDIT: I found it a little catty, but being familiar with how to act on gay pop forums, I did manage to settle in despite the draggings I initially got. But my downfall was not because of any catty members, instead it was that one time my Internet got a little slow and I wound up repeating the same post assuming I hadn't posted it yet, and I got a permanent ban for spamming.
EDIT: Here's a post of mine I like to look back on a lot :P: https://forum.popjustice.com/threads/elliott-yamin-wait-for-you.3538/#post-6266278

Written By: cowboy on 03/17/19 at 11:45 am

Wasn't PJ stricter with banning .gifs when you were there? These days, .gifs are plentiful on Popjustice, but they are still something to use under-the-table and something to get away with. :P

Well, in 2008-2013 you could go for 5 pages of a thread and see no animated gif (there were some memes though, but mostly static images). Now it's way too much.
Car forums like The Car Launge also have a certain level of showing 'tough love' to you or to a car you love. Yet, it doesn't feel me with a bad aftertaste. And of course fewer animated gifs. That's why I think Inthe00s is better than general pop forums - here people rarely put down your favorites or your opinions in a very nasty way.

Written By: aja675 on 03/18/19 at 9:57 am

But was it 100% .gif-free?

EDIT: I found it a little catty, but being familiar with how to act on gay pop forums, I did manage to settle in despite the draggings I initially got. But my downfall was not because of any catty members, instead it was that one time my Internet got a little slow and I wound up repeating the same post assuming I hadn't posted it yet, and I got a permanent ban for spamming.
EDIT: Here's a post of mine I like to look back on a lot :P: https://forum.popjustice.com/threads/elliott-yamin-wait-for-you.3538/#post-6266278
You see, my personal meaning for that song is about my desire to come back to forum no. 1 even though I've been too scared ever since that "weekend market" incident. (As a double account I think, they're tolerated over there because aliases are part of that forum's DNA. :P)
I'm kind of willing to wait to post there again for a certain person. Oh, and my mom asking me about if some pop forum was gonna fly all the way to where I live gave me an idea. Now I fantasize about it. ;D

Written By: cowboy on 03/18/19 at 10:00 am

Do you know some pop forum where liking other stuff like RnB (Ne-Yo, Mario), Dire Straits, and even some rap songs by 50 Cent, Eminem etc. is welcomed? I've long outgrown liking cheesy songs like Gimme More and Piece Of Me although I still dig PCD Don't Cha or even some S/A/W. :D

Written By: aja675 on 03/18/19 at 10:09 am

At a guess, maybe ATRL? They have Base threads for all kinds of acts. :P EDIT: There aren't many opportunities to join. Maybe UKMix or Buzzjack.

Written By: aja675 on 05/30/19 at 8:25 pm

Looking back, I shoulda just left the second forum right away. 'Cause nothing woulda convinced the people there that I wasn't him.

Written By: rapplepop on 06/02/19 at 7:15 pm

I'd consider myself bi but mostly straight and I agree, it does seem like if you like certain artists some will assume you're gay. I enjoy Britney Spears, Meghan Trainor, Carly Rae Jepsen, Kylie Minogue, I don't care at all what people think of that.

Written By: aja675 on 06/05/19 at 6:30 am

Looking back, I shoulda just left the second forum right away. 'Cause nothing woulda convinced the people there that I wasn't him.
Maybe I should have just asked for an account delete.

Check for new replies or respond here...