inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any kid cultural stuff you were into past your core childhood?

Written By: mqg96 on 03/23/19 at 8:53 pm

I don't believe I've brought this up yet. A lot of us tend to admit that a soon as we hit middle school or turned 13, we grew out of ALL kid stuff immediately, but go ahead and admit, that this wasn't ENTIRELY true for everything. There are SOME kid stuff out there I still enjoyed in my preteen and early teens (2007-2010) for me.

Let me start with the Wii. By the time I was in middle school, most of my friends & acquaintances were only into the more mature games on PS3 or XBOX 360, while many people had shifted from Nintendo games from their N64 or Gamecube experience, but since I got into serious video games a little late, I enjoyed the Wii for mainly Mario games, despite what people said about the console. I loved Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Bros Wii, and I also liked how the Wii was backwards compatible with Gamecube games and the fact that you could play all the classics from the NES, SNES, and N64 on the Virtual Console.

I liked many of the kid movies between 2007-2010. Many I'm willing to admit were superior to my own childhood. What I really loved about cinema between 2007-2010 is that I was the perfect age to enjoy kid movies and mature PG-13 & R movies at the same damn time. When it came to the kid movies between 2007 & 2010, I enjoyed Ratatouille, Kung Fu Panda, Tangled, Megamind, How to Train Your Dragon, and Toy Story 3.

The moment I got my iPod Touch, I was addicted to Angry Birds. It was just one of those apps that I decided to give a chance and I couldn't stop playing it. I made it so far in the game and I ended up downloading different versions of Angry Birds.

Now when it comes to TV, most kid stuff from TV I was done with by this point, but for the few shows I did enjoy, those were Total Drama Island, Phineas & Ferb, and iCarly. I watched these shows sometimes when there was nothing else on TV, but those were THE ONLY kid shows I thought were really good at the time. I no longer watched the networks religiously like I did at 10 & under.

Subject: Re: Any kid cultural stuff you were into past your core childhood?

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/23/19 at 9:03 pm

For me my "prime" childhood ended when I was 10, but it wasn't until like I was 15 that I felt my childhood was fully done. I still enjoyed some of the stuff from the Early Gen Z era like Phineas and Ferb, or Total Drama Island, which I watched with my younger siblings.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/23/19 at 10:16 pm

OG Naruto seemed to have been considerably for kids so I'll add I was heavily into it. You just have to be a bro to play Super Smash Bros. haha Its a game all ages can sit down and immense themselves into. The writing in Phineas & Ferb would hook you in.

Written By: Dundee on 03/24/19 at 1:05 pm

Obviously Disney movies are 4 life ;D

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/24/19 at 2:29 pm

For me it was
Bakugan in 2008-09
Wwe early pg era 08-10
Pokemon 4th generation 2007-10
Mario Galaxy 1&2 (07&10)
Total Drama Island 2008
Camp Rock
Wizards Of Waverly Place
Icarly first 2 seasons

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/24/19 at 3:21 pm

Sesame Street.

In the early 70's I was in Junior High school, well past the age to watch Sesame Street.  However I have a sibling several years younger than me, who age-wise was in the Sesame Street "sweet spot".  So to show my support, I just had to watch along  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/24/19 at 6:35 pm

I have said this before and I will say it again-I will NEVER, EVER outgrow stuffed animals. I also will never outgrow swings.

I also like kids movies-as long as they are GOOD movies-like Disney movies. When I lived alone, I bought just about every Disney movie on VHS. Friends would come over and see my collection and look around. They would say, "You don't have any kids." I said, "Nope. The movies are all for me." They would start laughing. Then they would notice a movie. "You have _____. Can we watch it?" Then I would start laughing. At least I admitted that I liked them and they tried to make fun of me for doing so-but they liked them as well.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/25/19 at 5:41 am

Sesame Street.

In the early 70's I was in Junior High school, well past the age to watch Sesame Street.  However I have a sibling several years younger than me, who age-wise was in the Sesame Street "sweet spot".  So to show my support, I just had to watch along  ;D

I was into the later part of Sesame Street.

Written By: GuapitoChico on 03/25/19 at 10:54 pm

Sesame Street.

Sesame Street is pretty mesmerizing with all their animations and stuff, so even when I was 10 and had to watch it with my 4-year-old sister back then, I enjoyed it hahaha.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/28/19 at 12:24 pm

This lil guy:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41xM31QiwdL._SX385_.jpg

Loved the Wii back in 2007-2009, so essentially the bulk of my middle school years. FWIW though, its the last console I typically associate with my core childhood at all, due to it coming out in 2006 when I was 10. However, I was playing the system for much of my Late Childhood/Early Teens, so it has one foot into much of my childhood nostalgia from the early-mid 2000s and one foot in the era of my teenaged years/youth of the late 2000s/2010s. Consoles like PS3 or 360 on the other hand lean more heavily in my nostalgia for my teenaged years than the Wii did, even though they are all apart of the same generation. PS2 is strictly childhood as well.

Not sure if any other mid 90s babies can relate to this ;D, but yeah thats how I've always seen the Wii, the gateway from my childhood into my teenaged years.

Written By: 2001 on 03/28/19 at 12:35 pm

The 2006 movie Over The Edge. Avril Lavigne voiced Heather!

The cartoons Codename Kids Next Door And Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

And I guess the Nintendo DS when I bought it in spring 2006. Unsure of whether to include that though, since I played it up to 2012/2013 when I was 19/20. But I associate games like Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing more with my childhood.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/28/19 at 1:22 pm

This lil guy:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41xM31QiwdL._SX385_.jpg

Loved the Wii back in 2007-2009, so essentially the bulk of my middle school years. FWIW though, its the last console I typically associate with my core childhood at all, due to it coming out in 2006 when I was 10. However, I was playing the system for much of my Late Childhood/Early Teens, so it has one foot into much of my childhood nostalgia from the early-mid 2000s and one foot in the era of my teenaged years/youth of the late 2000s/2010s. Consoles like PS3 or 360 on the other hand lean more heavily in my nostalgia for my teenaged years than the Wii did, even though they are all apart of the same generation. PS2 is strictly childhood as well.

Not sure if any other mid 90s babies can relate to this ;D, but yeah thats how I've always seen the Wii, the gateway from my childhood into my teenaged years.
Same I got my Wii in 2007 for my 5th grade graduation. I played it till it broke in mid 2011 sadly. I did get a Wii u in 2013 tho.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/28/19 at 5:53 pm

I have said this before and I will say it again-I will NEVER, EVER outgrow stuffed animals.

This.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/29/19 at 12:56 am

The 2006 movie Over The Edge. Avril Lavigne voiced Heather!

The cartoons Codename Kids Next Door And Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

And I guess the Nintendo DS when I bought it in spring 2006. Unsure of whether to include that though, since I played it up to 2012/2013 when I was 19/20. But I associate games like Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing more with my childhood.

The Nintendo D.S as well. The Nintendo Renaissance of the mid-late 2000s (D.S & Wii Eras) seems to still resonate with a lot of people to this day, huh.

Same I got my Wii in 2007 for my 5th grade graduation. I played it till it broke in mid 2011 sadly. I did get a Wii u in 2013 tho.

Same. I got it for my 11th birthday in 07'. Damn that sucks man :\'(. Im sure you can find Wiis for dirt cheap on Ebay though. Because Nintendo made so many of those things, they're likely never going to appreciate much in value.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/03/19 at 7:44 pm

I played with Legos through most of my teens.  I still have them in a box in the garage.  When my daughter was younger we would build things together.

Written By: nally on 04/03/19 at 11:06 pm

I played with Legos through most of my teens.  I still have them in a box in the garage.

I can relate.

I continued playing with my Legos for most of my age-12 year, but put 'em away on my 13th birthday. But I have not played with them since.

I still have mine; currently they are packed in a box in my garage. Sometimes I have contemplated going into said box, taking them out, putting the sets together, and taking some pictures of them. That would bring back lots of fond memories, I'm sure.

Written By: nally on 04/03/19 at 11:08 pm

I have said this before and I will say it again-I will NEVER, EVER outgrow stuffed animals. I also will never outgrow swings.

I feel I will never outgrow either item myself, as well.

I also like kids movies-as long as they are GOOD movies-like Disney movies. When I lived alone, I bought just about every Disney movie on VHS. Friends would come over and see my collection and look around. They would say, "You don't have any kids." I said, "Nope. The movies are all for me." They would start laughing. Then they would notice a movie. "You have _____. Can we watch it?" Then I would start laughing. At least I admitted that I liked them and they tried to make fun of me for doing so-but they liked them as well.

Cat

I am also a fan of kids movies, mostly of the Disney nature. In fact, there have been some live-action ones that have come out within the past 20 years that I found interesting.

Written By: nally on 04/03/19 at 11:10 pm

There have also been some cartoon shows that debuted during my teenage years that I grew fond of in my late teens (although at first I admitted they were a "guilty pleasure"); namely, Animaniacs and Pinky & The Brain. I was fond of the humor in those programmes.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/04/19 at 12:51 pm

There have also been some cartoon shows that debuted during my teenage years that I grew fond of in my late teens (although at first I admitted they were a "guilty pleasure"); namely, Animaniacs and Pinky & The Brain. I was fond of the humor in those programmes.

I can understand this. A lot of cartoons that debuted in the 90's and early 00's had humor in those appealed to kids, teens, and young adults at the same time. There weren't a lot of cartoons like that past the early 00's until Adventure Time and Regular Show came out.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/04/19 at 12:52 pm

I got my Wii in Christmas 2007 and Super Mario Galaxy on my 12th birthday, and from that point on I was addicted to the system.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/19 at 2:38 pm

I feel I will never outgrow either item myself, as well.

I am also a fan of kids movies, mostly of the Disney nature. In fact, there have been some live-action ones that have come out within the past 20 years that I found interesting.

I outgrew them a long time ago.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/04/19 at 3:17 pm

I can understand this. A lot of cartoons that debuted in the 90's and early 00's had humor in those appealed to kids, teens, and young adults at the same time. There weren't a lot of cartoons like that past the early 00's until Adventure Time and Regular Show came out.
The difference between cartoons of the 90s and those of now is that the cartoons of this decade is that the 2010s ones are more tv pg.whereas the 90s ones were mostly TV Y7. Total Drama Island started that trend where a cartoon can be more openly adult but not being to inaporpate for young kids. Like on TDI you had boobs and even one of the contestants are a bulls testicals.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/04/19 at 3:48 pm

The difference between cartoons of the 90s and those of now is that the cartoons of this decade is that the 2010s ones are more tv pg.whereas the 90s ones were mostly TV Y7. Total Drama Island started that trend where a cartoon can be more openly adult but not being to inaporpate for young kids. Like on TDI you had boobs and even one of the contestants are a bulls testicals.

That's true. The trend started picking up again once Total Drama Island aired, although that wasn't an original and imported from Canada, you're still right though. To be honest, a lot of cartoons that debuted in the 90's, if those were made today parents would make those TV-PG, and for a lot of cartoons from the 2010's if those debuted in the 90's those would only be TV-Y7. They've bumped up the ratings over the years because of parental complaints and networks becoming more strict.

No way in hell Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Johnny Bravo, Batman: TAS, Animaniacs, or Pinky & the Brain would be TV-Y7 in this day & time. Spongebob Squarepants was originally TV-Y! I'm not kidding. Spongebob Squarepants used just simply be "TV-Y" and then later on it became TV-Y7, along with many other nicktoons that used to be TV-Y.

DCAU series like Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond, and Justice League were originally TV-Y7, but when those were on Netflix it changed to TV-PG. Young Justice is TV-PG, but would probably be TV-Y7 if it was made several years before its original airing. That's what made cartoons great back in the 90's and early 00's, it was able to have references that only adults could get while it still was able to target kids without being too edgy like Family Guy or too kiddy like Amazing World of Gumball. Total Drama Island, Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Young Justice were great at this too.

Written By: nally on 04/04/19 at 6:23 pm

I outgrew them a long time ago.

I originally thought I outgrew stuffed animals by the time I turned 11, but less than seven years later, my parents brought home an aromatherapy stuffed rabbit which I thought was awfully cute.

Written By: nally on 04/04/19 at 6:27 pm

As for those programs, they don't really interest me.

In fact, the only cartoon show from the past decade or so that has really attracted my attention is Phineas & Ferb, a Disney Channel original series. Each episode of that series had a typical format that I found interesting: the title characters would find a creative task to do (which usually involved building an out-of-the-ordinary contraption), and it would all disappear by the end of the day, thanks to the B-plot (which involved their pet platypus who's actually an undercover spy battling an evil scientist).

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/13/19 at 2:50 am

That's true. The trend started picking up again once Total Drama Island aired, although that wasn't an original and imported from Canada, you're still right though. To be honest, a lot of cartoons that debuted in the 90's, if those were made today parents would make those TV-PG, and for a lot of cartoons from the 2010's if those debuted in the 90's those would only be TV-Y7. They've bumped up the ratings over the years because of parental complaints and networks becoming more strict.

No way in hell Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Johnny Bravo, Batman: TAS, Animaniacs, or Pinky & the Brain would be TV-Y7 in this day & time. Spongebob Squarepants was originally TV-Y! I'm not kidding. Spongebob Squarepants used just simply be "TV-Y" and then later on it became TV-Y7, along with many other nicktoons that used to be TV-Y.

DCAU series like Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond, and Justice League were originally TV-Y7, but when those were on Netflix it changed to TV-PG. Young Justice is TV-PG, but would probably be TV-Y7 if it was made several years before its original airing. That's what made cartoons great back in the 90's and early 00's, it was able to have references that only adults could get while it still was able to target kids without being too edgy like Family Guy or too kiddy like Amazing World of Gumball. Total Drama Island, Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Young Justice were great at this too.
I know red and snipey was pretty edgy and sponge on was tv at least until 2008 I think. I think the reason why tv-pg gotten so mainstream was because of Americans embracing Candian cartoons like 6teen and TDI which use words like crap and suck which was seen as too edgy for kids shows outsode a few exceptions. Red and Smipty on spike tv would definitely be TV-14 by todays standards since they were literally gay in that series.

Written By: xenzue on 04/14/19 at 10:34 am

Probably Minecraft. I’ve been playing since ‘09 so I can say that it is part of my later childhood, but I mostly associate most of it with my early teens (13-15)

The Wii was definitely my core childhood as was the Xbox 360 but I played them well into my teenage years.

Written By: 2012emo on 04/18/19 at 10:32 am

i played roblox till i was 12, which i guess is past my core childhood.
i still play minecraft from time to time though, and i'm 17.

Check for new replies or respond here...