inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When were landlines discontinued in America?

Written By: GuapitoChico on 03/31/19 at 11:00 am

I’ve come across a number of articles that describes Gen Z as not remembering landline. I mean, I’d get why people would assume that they wouldn’t know much about floppy disks, but landlines seem to be such an exaggeration considering the fact that some Z’ers were born in the 90s.

Here in the Philippines, landlines are still pretty common both in households and offices. Plus, the coiled wire that often gets tangled was still common even at the end of the 00s. I’m getting the impression that landlines were only a thing of the 90s in America (well, because the generational caricatures painted by these articles make it seem that way.). But correct me if I’m wrong.

Subject: Re: When were landlines discontinued in America?

Written By: 2001 on 03/31/19 at 11:01 am

They're not discontinued, people still use them.

Written By: GuapitoChico on 03/31/19 at 11:11 am

So where did this notion that Gen Z don’t remember landlines come from? ???

Written By: 2001 on 03/31/19 at 12:00 pm

So where did this notion that Gen Z don’t remember landlines come from? ???

I guess some people don't have landlines anymore and assumed everyone else was the same.

46% of American households still have landline https://www.textrequest.com/blog/how-many-people-still-use-landline-phone/

Written By: GuapitoChico on 03/31/19 at 12:04 pm

I guess some people don't have landlines anymore and assumed everyone else was the same.

46% of American households still have landline https://www.textrequest.com/blog/how-many-people-still-use-landline-phone/

Thanks. The notion actually came from business/professional sources, not just random forums, though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/31/19 at 12:24 pm

We still have a landline.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/31/19 at 1:57 pm

I have a landline also. So do most businesses in the US. One thing I have noticed though, is that the phone company (or whatever they call themselves now), is less and less inclined to keep the copper landlines in good working condition. And when they break down (which they do more frequently than they used to due to this lack of maintenance), they act like it's a bother to come out and fix them.

Written By: Howard on 03/31/19 at 2:08 pm

I thought landlines were a 90's thing.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/31/19 at 9:50 pm

My mom still has one, most businesses use landlines since no one wants to give out a personal phone number while doing business.

Written By: shadowcookie on 04/01/19 at 3:01 pm

I thought landlines were a 90's thing.

They were obviously still the norm in the 2000s. It wasn’t until 2015 that a majority of households no longer had a landline.

Subject: When were landlines discontinued in America?

Written By: Dude111 on 04/19/19 at 9:18 pm

Yes and thier quality is 100000% better than this digital crap from the cable company!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/19 at 10:01 am

I would think the hotline is still in the White House?

Check for new replies or respond here...