inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rank the Stanley Kubrick Movies

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/16/19 at 4:21 pm

Stanley Kubrick was one of the greatest filmmakers of all time and as a practicing filmmaker/animator myself (I'm starting a Masters in film at university in September!)  he is a personal inspiration to me.

He just always seemed to know where to put the camera in order to create a shot that was not only visually interesting but added to the narrative.

I'm interested to know, if anyone has seen all his films or some of them, how would you rank them?

Personally, since I love the director so much, I can't choose between 4 for the top spot:

1. - 2001 A space Odyssey
      A Clockwork Orange
      Doctor Strangelove
      Paths of Glory
2. -  The Shining
3. -  Eyes Wide Shut
4. -  Killers Kiss
5. -  Full metal Jacket
6. -  Spartacus
7. -  Lolita
8. -  The Killing
9. -  Barry Lyndon
10. -Fear and Desire

Subject: Re: Rank the Stanley Kubrick Movies

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/19 at 4:38 pm

Personally speaking my favourite film director, shame he did not make many films, the reason why was that he was so a perfectionist.

1 - Barry Lyndon
2.- Full Metal Jacket
3 - The Shining
4 - Doctor Strangelove
5 - 2001: A space Odyssey
6 - The Killing
7 - A Clockwork Orange
8 - Paths of Glory
9 - Lolita
10 - Spartacus
11 - Fear and Desire
12 - Eyes Wide Shut

I still have to see Killer's Kiss.

In truth, all his films have a various interest for me, the picture painting quality for "Barry Lyndon". The contrast of "Full Metal Jacket" and the use of British location for the production of this film.

I am still attempting to visit and take a photo of all the locations in and around London for "A Clockwork Orange".

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/16/19 at 4:49 pm

In truth, all his films have a various interest for me, the picture painting quality for "Barry Lyndon". The contrast of "Full Metal Jacket" and the use of British location for the production of this film.

I am still attempting to visit and take a photo of all the locations in and around London for "A Clockwork Orange".

I absolutely agree! Each film he made has something different, and cool, would be interesting to see how the locations look today compared to back then.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/19 at 4:53 pm

I absolutely agree! Each film he made has something different, and cool, would be interesting to see how the locations look today compared to back then.
That is what I had planned, comparisons, film shot and today.

I am still trying to workout where one scene (So horny, and the camera snatch) of "Full Metal Jacket" is, IMDB has it as Isle of Dogs in London, but where?

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/17/19 at 6:03 am

That is what I had planned, comparisons, film shot and today.

I am still trying to workout where one scene (So horny, and the camera snatch) of "Full Metal Jacket" is, IMDB has it as Isle of Dogs in London, but where?

That's a great idea!

Ah yes, I remember the scene, and I've heard of Isle of dogs and seen it on a map of London. but unfortunately I honestly wouldnt have a clue whereabouts it was shot there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/19 at 6:17 am

That's a great idea!

Ah yes, I remember the scene, and I've heard of Isle of dogs and seen it on a map of London. but unfortunately I honestly wouldnt have a clue whereabouts it was shot there.
Exactly, I do not think it a set especially built for the film, but with hoardings placed on buildings.

I plan to re-watch "A Clockwork Orange" and "Full Metal Jacket".

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/19 at 6:49 am

That's a great idea!

Looking at pictures from Google Searching, that sequence could be a set built at the location of the Beckton Gas Works (now demolished) for Saigon ruins.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/19 at 6:54 am

That's a great idea!

Looking at pictures from Google Searching, that sequence could be a set built at the location of the Beckton Gas Works (now demolished) for Saigon ruins.
btw, Isle of Dogs and Beckton Gas Works are two different areas of east London, about five miles apart as the crow flies.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/17/19 at 9:27 am

btw, Isle of Dogs and Beckton Gas Works are two different areas of east London, about five miles apart as the crow flies.

Ah right, gotcha! Amazing that the Beckton Gas Works area was not specially built as well! I find it
quite incredible how they pulled off full metal jacket by filming it in Britain!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/19 at 9:36 am

Ah right, gotcha! Amazing that the Beckton Gas Works area was not specially built as well! I find it
quite incredible how they pulled off full metal jacket by filming it in Britain!
That is why it is one of my true favourite films.

I will be checking out what remains of Beckton Gas Works soon, but I do know it is/was in enclosed private land, and with the buildings now demolished.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/17/19 at 3:27 pm

Although it's not his best film by any means, I think a mention needs to be made for "Eyes Wide Shut". I have seen it several times and every time I watch it I always end up watching it all the way through. So much going on, so much symbolism. And all that "Illuminati" stuff, if indeed that's what it even is. Every time I see it I notice something I didn't notice before. And all those Christmas trees! One or more in practically every scene.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/19 at 3:30 pm

Although it's not his best film by any means, I think a mention needs to be made for "Eyes Wide Shut". I have seen it several times and every time I watch it I always end up watching it all the way through. So much going on, so much symbolism. And all that "Illuminati" stuff, if indeed that's what it even is. Every time I see it I notice something I didn't notice before. And all those Christmas trees! One or more in practically every scene.
After viewing this film twice, I still think it is not one of the best of his films, but I can easily watch it again.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/18/19 at 9:29 am

I love Eyes Wide Shut as well. I do think it is rather underrated, and you're right, symbolism in that film seems to be throughout!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/19 at 9:09 am

On British television tonight will be broadcast "Filmworker", a 2017 American documentary film directed by Tony Zierra about Leon Vitali, a successful British actor who, after playing the role of “Lord Bullingdon” in the Stanley Kubrick-directed Barry Lyndon, gave up his acting career to work for decades as Kubrick’s assistant.

I am looking forward to seeing this, definitely recording it, but tempted staying up late to watch it live.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/19 at 1:42 pm

Something I missed last night, "2001: A space Odyssey" was on television last night...

Subject: Rank the Stanley Kubrick Movies

Written By: Dude111 on 04/30/19 at 1:15 am

1. - 2001 A space Odyssey - Excellent
      A Clockwork Orange - Havent seen it
      Doctor Strangelove - Havent seen it
      Paths of Glory - Havent seen it
2. -  The Shining - Excellent
3. -  Eyes Wide Shut - Havent seen it
4. -  Killers Kiss - Havent seen it
5. -  Full metal Jacket - Havent seen it
6. -  Spartacus - Havent seen it
7. -  Lolita - Good
8. -  The Killing - Havent seen it
9. -  Barry Lyndon - Havent seen it
10. - Fear and Desire - Havent seen it

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/19 at 9:50 am

On British television tonight will be broadcast "Filmworker", a 2017 American documentary film directed by Tony Zierra about Leon Vitali, a successful British actor who, after playing the role of “Lord Bullingdon” in the Stanley Kubrick-directed Barry Lyndon, gave up his acting career to work for decades as Kubrick’s assistant.

I am looking forward to seeing this, definitely recording it, but tempted staying up late to watch it live.
Last night, at the point when my Wi-Fi went down, I started watching this, and it gives a wonder insight into the production of SK's films.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/30/19 at 2:43 pm

Last night, at the point when my Wi-Fi went down, I started watching this, and it gives a wonder insight into the production of SK's films.

Sounds interesting! Must take a look if I can find it!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/19 at 2:46 pm

Sounds interesting! Must take a look if I can find it!
It was broadcast on UK television the other night, but it is available to watch on YouTube for a charge.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/30/19 at 2:52 pm

It was broadcast on UK television the other night, but it is available to watch on YouTube for a charge.

Ah cool. Thanks for telling me!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/19 at 4:57 am

We also have to remember that "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" directed by Steven Spielberg, was to be the Stanley Kubrick's next film, but sadly died before making it. He was reading the book "Supertoys Last All Summer Long" by Brian Aldisson on the set of "Eyes Wide Shut". The film is dedicated to Stanley Kubrick, with scenes paying homage to SK.

More can be here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.I._Artificial_Intelligence#Development

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/19 at 4:30 am

Ah cool. Thanks for telling me!
I have now seen "Filmworker", and found it interesting.

Check for new replies or respond here...