inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are your worst decadeology/generationology experiences?

Written By: GuapitoChico on 04/28/19 at 9:55 pm

(Note: This is not a thread to discuss actual generationology/decadeology, but just your experiences within it.)

Generationology/decadeology can provide some insight, but when people get rigid, it tends to be very controversial and heated. Share some of your woes from your experiences within the aforementioned "field."

For me, the worst gen/dec I've ever encountered is BuzzFeed, ESPECIALLY when they try always to pit Millennials and Gen Z against each other. Most references are actually shared between both generations, such as the MCU, yet they always seem to try to force-fit stuff squarely into specific generations and get both generations to play tug-of-war.

Subject: Re: What are your worst decadeology/generationology experiences?

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/28/19 at 11:18 pm

Much of the userbase of this site (including me :P ) broke our brains and spilled tons of ink debating the different cultural eras and generations throughout 2014-2017, or the inthe00s "Renaissance". I kinda miss it; it was the best of times and worst of times.

Written By: 2012emo on 04/29/19 at 5:51 pm

i remember buzzfeed tried to portray the jonas brother's as a millennial only thing in one of their posts even though they were more of a gen z/late millennial thing. the 8 year old inside me was really pissed ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/29/19 at 6:03 pm

i remember buzzfeed tried to portray the jonas brother's as a millennial only thing in one of their posts even though they were more of a gen z/late millennial thing. the 8 year old inside me was really pissed ;D

I can top that. When the ill-conceived, ill-fated "Occupy Wall Street" and related demonstrations were taking place circa 2011, the media, especially the right wing media (as well as others) kept referring to the protesters as "hippies". As if they stepped out of a time machine intact from 1969.  Take it from a Boomer, they were the furthest thing from hippies. And it goes on to this day whenever there is a protest or some political action, we hear about the "hippies". Did everybody's clock stop in 1969 or something? It's almost like it's a convenient language to default to, even though it is not accurate.

Written By: Dundee on 04/30/19 at 7:04 am

Well all those crappy "you little something xx's-born, you can't possibly remember that if you were x years" members that joined this year are deffo up there for sure.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/30/19 at 11:13 am

Much of the userbase of this site (including me :P ) broke our brains and spilled tons of ink debating the different cultural eras and generations throughout 2014-2017, or the inthe00s "Renaissance". I kinda miss it; it was the best of times and worst of times.

AMEN BROTHER.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/19 at 1:25 pm

What we do in life, echoes in eternity

Written By: violet_shy on 05/01/19 at 10:54 pm

What we do in life, echoes in eternity

True, Philip. But, this kinda made me laugh. Lol.

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/02/19 at 10:41 am

Well all those crappy "you little something xx's-born, you can't possibly remember that if you were x years" members that joined this year are deffo up there for sure.

Probably the same person.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/19 at 10:48 am

True, Philip. But, this kinda made me laugh. Lol.
Same as that butterfly flapping it's wings one side of the world?

Written By: wixness on 05/12/19 at 11:02 am

People outside this website lumping all of the 2000s as "the early 2000s", or not really taking the mid and late 2000s into consideration in their nostalgia posts. Granted, there have been some atrocious things that have happened in the 2000s like 9/11, although there are other bad things that happened in, say, like the 90s (Rwandan and Bosnian genocides) that seem overlooked; the 90s seem immune from a bad image overall compared to the 2000s.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/13/19 at 9:14 am

People outside this website lumping all of the 2000s as "the early 2000s", or not really taking the mid and late 2000s into consideration in their nostalgia posts. Granted, there have been some atrocious things that have happened in the 2000s like 9/11, although there are other bad things that happened in, say, like the 90s (Rwandan and Bosnian genocides) that seem overlooked; the 90s seem immune from a bad image overall compared to the 2000s.
That does get annoying tbh but at least people recognize the great things of the 00s and not lunp it with the 90s.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/13/19 at 9:23 am

I was late to the whole decadeology/generationlogy debate but it does annoy me when people say the 2000 wasn't a 2000s year. The whole y2k era thing is kinda dumb tbh. If it wasn't for 9/11 there wouldn't be a y2k era it would just be late 90s and early 00s. 2000 had tons of 00s traits especially the later half of the year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/19 at 9:34 am

I was late to the whole decadeology/generationlogy debate but it does annoy me when people say the 2000 wasn't a 2000s year...
For me the date is as written on the calendar!

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/18/19 at 3:17 am

AMEN BROTHER.

Man brotha so much stuff happened here round the 14-17 golden age, so many topics and running gags. Millennials vs Gen Z debates, the Y2K xtreme pop punk 1998-2002 era, the wussy emo 2004-2006 era, 90s kids vs 00s kids debates, nu males, Starship, Pitbull, people getting dunked on by Jordan for having crushes on fictional characters, the Late 2006 Shift, celebrating the golden/silver ages of Nick and Cartoon Network, Vaporwave nearly breaking to the mainstream (didn't fully happen sadly), the very beginning of Gen Z music like trap, Trump morality debates, etc. It was a mess but it was a glorious mess that I'm glad I experienced. :)

Written By: GuapitoChico on 05/18/19 at 3:40 am

Oh, and the worst of all would be people saying they feel old while referencing people who are only 1-3 years younger than them.

I’ve seen it all. A late 99er saying that 00s babies make him feel old. Or even a 95er feeling old after a 97er talked about being in 5th grade in 2007/2008. Different places: NeoGAF, PersonalityCafe, even on Facebook and Reddit.

Like lol... people like to exaggerate the differences between them and other people as if it’s a sharp line. It’s not like Dec 31 2004 babies had stone tablets and Jan 1 2005 babies have electronic brain implants lol.

Written By: wixness on 05/18/19 at 9:19 am

Oh, and the worst of all would be people saying they feel old while referencing people who are only 1-3 years younger than them.

I’ve seen it all. A late 99er saying that 00s babies make him feel old. Or even a 95er feeling old after a 97er talked about being in 5th grade in 2007/2008. Different places: NeoGAF, PersonalityCafe, even on Facebook and Reddit.

Like lol... people like to exaggerate the differences between them and other people as if it’s a sharp line. It’s not like Dec 31 2004 babies had stone tablets and Jan 1 2005 babies have electronic brain implants lol.

People hate the 2000s so they want every excuse to make it look worse than it is for reasons unrelated to 9/11, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and the 2008 recession.

Check for new replies or respond here...