inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do the literal teen years (13-19) significantly mean anything?

Written By: GuapitoChico on 05/06/19 at 1:26 pm

When we say "teenager," we refer to 13-19 year olds, because the only thing that defines the word is the fact that those numbers end in -teen.

Is there anything significant about ages 13 and 19 in particular? I mean puberty/adolescence begins at around 11-12 years old on average, when kids enter middle school. High school begins normally at age 14. The age of majority is usually either 18 or 21. I can't seem to find any particular life milestone at age 13 or 19.

Subject: Re: Do the literal teen years (13-19) significantly mean anything?

Written By: violet_shy on 05/06/19 at 1:45 pm

18 to 24 is a young adult....I think.

10 to 12 year olds are pre-teens

13 to 19 year olds are teens

I miss being that young. (It is 1992 today. I want to be 12 again! Lol)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/06/19 at 1:46 pm

Prior to the 1900s, the concept of the teenager did not even exist. One was a child or an adult. The concept of the teenager arose in the 1920s. The word "teenager" itself was not even in popular usage until post WW2.  It is clear, however, that it is an EXTREMELY important time in the life of a person. Many, many changes take place. Physical, mental, spiritual, cosmic. It is an utterly turbulent time in one's life. Hang on and ride the tiger.  ;)

Here are some interesting articles about the origins of the concept of the teenager:

A Brief History of the Teenager:

www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2018/02/brief-history-teenagers/

The Invention of the Teenager:

www.ushistory.org/us/46c.asp

Written By: GuapitoChico on 05/06/19 at 2:00 pm

Prior to the 1900s, the concept of the teenager did not even exist. One was a child or an adult. The concept of the teenager arose in the 1920s. The word "teenager" itself was not even in popular usage until post WW2.  It is clear, however, that it is an EXTREMELY important time in the life of a person. Many, many changes take place. Physical, mental, spiritual, cosmic. It is an utterly turbulent time in one's life. Hang on and ride the tiger.  ;)

Here are some interesting articles about the origins of the concept of the teenager:

A Brief History of the Teenager:

www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2018/02/brief-history-teenagers/

The Invention of the Teenager:

www.ushistory.org/us/46c.asp

What you described is probably more 11-22, which encapsulates pretty much the adolescent years in its entirety. Peak adolescence is usually 12-17, though 18-21 is more "emerging adulthood." 11 is the entry point and 22 is the way out.
Still, I'm wondering why 13 and 19 in particular are specifically important apart from the fact that they just so happen to be the first and last numbers to end in -teen.

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/06/19 at 3:35 pm

What you described is probably more 11-22, which encapsulates pretty much the adolescent years in its entirety. Peak adolescence is usually 12-17, though 18-21 is more "emerging adulthood." 11 is the entry point and 22 is the way out.
Still, I'm wondering why 13 and 19 in particular are specifically important apart from the fact that they just so happen to be the first and last numbers to end in -teen.

That’s your answer.. they end in -teen. There’s isn’t much else to it.

Adolescence begins before 13, usually 11 or 12 with the onset of puberty. 12 isn’t any different to 13.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/06/19 at 4:10 pm

Only in Germanic languages such as English, German, and Dutch does that distinction between 11-12 and 13-19 exist.
In Spanish, 11-15 are grouped together as they all end in "ce", and 16-19 are in another group as they begin in "dieci".
In Finnish, 11-19 are all grouped together the same way 21-29, 31-39, 41-49, etc. are in every Western language.

Written By: 2001 on 05/06/19 at 7:42 pm

Yeah, it's when you establish a lot of your interests and personality.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/06/19 at 8:09 pm

Yeah, it's when you establish a lot of your interests and personality.

Exactly. And you're afforded more responsibility and privileges. You begin to really think about what you want to do career wise as an adult in a way that differs from childhood. Children usually have fantasy like career choices, teens have a more realistic view of their career choices.

Written By: Marzipanner on 05/07/19 at 5:45 am

Exactly. And you're forwarded more responsibility and privileges. You begin to really think about what you want to do career wise as an adult in a way that differs from childhood. Children usually have fantasy like career choices, teens have a more realistic view of their career choices.

I think OP gets that. I think he was asking if that phase of discovery really starts on average at age 13 and ends in 19, just because they so happen to be the are the first and last “teen” numbers. OP even mentioned that research suggests that the phase is really 11-22.

Written By: MichaelBurton69 on 05/09/19 at 12:13 am

I think OP gets that. I think he was asking if that phase of discovery really starts on average at age 13 and ends in 19, just because they so happen to be the are the first and last “teen” numbers. OP even mentioned that research suggests that the phase is really 11-22.

Honestly,I consider anyone under 25 years old to be still children/teenagers.The brain is still developing until 25 and until then,you are mostly likely trying to figure out what you want to do in life, and usually still have little to no responsibilities,especially nowadays. I even consider anyone who's 22 years old and under to be fully teenagers and children,and are not adults at all while 23 and 24 is a transitional phase from "older childhood" and teenagehood to young adulthood.I also consider 25-32 to be young Adulthood and 33+ being mature adults.

Written By: GuapitoChico on 05/09/19 at 4:07 am

Honestly,I consider anyone under 25 years old to be still children/teenagers.The brain is still developing until 25 and until then,you are mostly likely trying to figure out what you want to do in life, and usually still have little to no responsibilities,especially nowadays. I even consider anyone who's 22 years old and under to be fully teenagers and children,and are not adults at all while 23 and 24 is a transitional phase from "older childhood" and teenagehood to young adulthood.I also consider 25-32 to be young Adulthood and 33+ being mature adults.

I think the word you’re looking for is “adolescence.”

Written By: MichaelBurton69 on 05/09/19 at 6:13 am

I think the word you’re looking for is “adolescence.”

"Adolescence" really isn't much different than teenager. It's really just another word to describe teenagers,which range between 13-24 years old(tho I see 13 and 14 being transitional year from childhood to teenagehood and 23 and 24 being a transitional period between teenagehood and young adulthood.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/09/19 at 7:42 am

"Adolescence" really isn't much different than teenager. It's really just another word to describe teenagers,which range between 13-24 years old(tho I see 13 and 14 being transitional year from childhood to teenagehood and 23 and 24 being a transitional period between teenagehood and young adulthood.

That’s not true. Adolescence is the whole time period of going through puberty. Teenager just refers to anyone ages 13-19.

Written By: GuapitoChico on 05/09/19 at 8:30 am

If you wanna be technical/scientific, full adolescence is 11-25. "Teenagehood" (13-19) is a part of adolescence.

Early adolescence is associated with middle school (11-14). Puberty (physical changes) usually begins at age 11/12 on average, but it can vary depending on genes. This is also when kids start having social identity crises in their early forms and have mood swings (it's linked to the major hormonal changes that happen at the beginning of puberty) and lots of kids have "emo" phases at this age.
Peak adolescence is associated with high school (14-18). What started in middle school is now on full turbo at this point.
Late adolescence is associated with college/young professional life (18-22/25). Changes are done and identity is already pretty set, but they're fresh out of school and still exploring the real world and are still raking in their first experiences in it.

I get what you are trying to say about the brain continuing to develop until age 25, but the proper term is "adolescence," which is etymologically different from "teenagehood." A number of psychologists even suggest that late adolescence (18-22/25) is a phase of its own, called "emerging adulthood," which literally means right on the edge of adulthood, but not fully there yet.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/19/19 at 9:40 pm

Because of these number distinctions, 20 was the worst age for me.  I was too old to attend "teen" activities, but too young to attend adult activities because they all had alcohol present and I needed to be 21.  I had a college degree at 20 and couldn't do much of anything.

If I only felt back then how I do now, where I don't give a crap who I belong with, I'd rather just stay on my 9 acres and work on my own things and avoid people.

Written By: Marzipanner on 05/19/19 at 11:11 pm

Because of these number distinctions, 20 was the worst age for me.  I was too old to attend "teen" activities, but too young to attend adult activities because they all had alcohol present and I needed to be 21.  I had a college degree at 20 and couldn't do much of anything.

If I only felt back then how I do now, where I don't give a crap who I belong with, I'd rather just stay on my 9 acres and work on my own things and avoid people.

I feel you. I really don’t see any difference between being 19 and being 20 in terms of life stages.

Written By: karen on 05/20/19 at 11:49 am

You have to be thirteen to sign up to certain websites.

In the UK you stop getting free prescriptions and dental treatment at the age of 19

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/19 at 11:56 am

You have to be thirteen to sign up to certain websites.

In the UK you stop getting free prescriptions and dental treatment at the age of 19
Thank you for reminded me to checkup on dental treatment for the over 60s, wherever it is free or not, and for the free prescriptions it is well put to practice.

Written By: Marzipanner on 05/20/19 at 10:00 pm

Honestly, so many things happen in the youth years that almost every age has a milestone of its own.

Here are some examples:
11: Enter middle school
13: Can sign up for certain websites.
14: Enter high school
18: Legally an adult (in certain countries)
21: Legally an adult (in certain countries

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/21/19 at 11:53 am

Honestly, so many things happen in the youth years that almost every age has a milestone of its own.

Here are some examples:
11: Enter middle school
13: Can sign up for certain websites.
14: Enter high school
18: Legally an adult (in certain countries)
21: Legally an adult (in certain countries

It’s a crazy period of life where you change so much - the person I was at 14 is nothing like the person I am now 10 years later.

Even in the past 5 years, I’ve gone from being in education and living at home to working full time and living on my own for the first time.

Check for new replies or respond here...