inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Biggest celebrity loss for each generation

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/13/19 at 1:02 pm

I'm surprised I haven't found a thread like this. Basically, which celebrity death (so far) do you believe had the biggest impact on Baby Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y, and Gen Z? I'm not talking about which celebrity death affected all these generations, but which celebrity's death affected BB the most, which celebrity death affected Gen X the most, and so on.

Subject: Re: Biggest celebrity loss for each generation

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/13/19 at 1:48 pm

For us Boomers it was he death of John Lennon for sure. Absolutely. Positively. Case closed. Keep in mind we also had the assassinations of JFK, RFK and Dr. King which were deeply impactful and influenced the direction of the 1960s.

Written By: exodus08 on 07/13/19 at 2:05 pm

For us Gen Yers it was Linkin Park's Chester Bennington.

Written By: nally on 07/13/19 at 4:58 pm

For Xers it could be Michael Jackson (2009) or Princess Diana (1997).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/14/19 at 2:04 pm

I can't speak for Gen X or Gen Z, but for Boomers and their children Millennials, especially within the last 10 years, it was Robin Williams.

Williams, being a Boomer himself whom encapsulated Boomers' adulthood in the 'new frontier' of the post idealistic era of the 60s'/70s (defined by Lennon, Dr. King, JFK, etc.) in the 80s/90s, helped accompanied the Baby Boomer generation in this era of cultural change of materialism. In a world where Baby Boomers were now becoming the 'captors of industry', actors like Bill Murray, Billy Crystal, Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, and most notably, Robin Williams, helped channel a gateway for Boomers to when things were more fun and simplistic, while at the same time allowing for complex narratives and riveting characters/storylines. It offered an escape from the corporate money driven culture of the 80s. The children of the Baby Boomers that grew up in this conservative era of 'Family Values' that Boomers began to take hold of were also influenced greatly by many of Williams' films, which is why Millennials (like myself and many others) cherish him in the same light our parents did.

Boomers as young adults were fans of Robin Williams in the 70s & 80s during the 'Conservative Revolution' (Happy Days, Mork & Mindy, The Wold According to Garp, Moscow on the Hudson, Dead Poet's Society, and Good Morning Vietnam, to name a few).

Millennials as they were growing up in the era of 'Family Values' were fans of Robin Williams in the 90s & 00s (Aladdin, Mrs. Doubtfire, Hook, Good Will Hunting, Jumanji, and Night at the Museum, to name a few).

Quirky things that Boomers liked about Williams was much of his stand up comedy routines, which were very raunchy (but in a good way). Millennials loved Williams quirkiness on many of his favorite hobbies (ones that he used to cherish with his daughter and Millennial herself, Zelda Williams), such as his love for the Legend of Zelda video game franchise. These shared experiences are one of many rare instances that Boomers and Millennials could get along with, which was how much we cherished Robin Williams. Hence why it was so profound to learn of his tragic death back in 2014 :\'(.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/19 at 2:31 pm

For Xers it could be Michael Jackson (2009) or Princess Diana (1997).

I remember when YouTube crashed because of Michael Jackson's death.  :o

Written By: nally on 07/14/19 at 2:56 pm

I remember when YouTube crashed because of Michael Jackson's death.  :o

My guess is that a LOT of people were trying to access the site to watch his music videos.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/19 at 5:38 am

My guess is that a LOT of people were trying to access the site to watch his music videos.

People wanted to know what had happened to him on that day.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/15/19 at 7:12 am

Many official celebrity sites revert to a "requiem screen" when so many people want to access them, leaving just a simple screen.

I'd say for the Silent Generation, Elvis and Marilyn Monroe were the biggest losses IMO. Yes, many fans were well into their 30s and 40s when Elvis's happened, but like Gen Xers when M.J. died, it was such a shocker that a cult denying his death was formed, and the "Elvis Is Alive" myth persisted for decades. And a lot of Boomers were also hit by Elvis' death too, even if he was seen as more of a fatherly figure compared to the rock artists they liked the most.

And before M.J. and Princess Di, don't forget Kurt Cobain and TuPac Shakur for Gen X. Rock and hip-hop music really hasn't been the same since their passing in many respects.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/15/19 at 9:27 pm

MJ was big, but for me (X) it was Casey Kasem.  As artists came and went, he was the one personality who covered them all, and was there every week of my entire time growing up.

Written By: nally on 07/15/19 at 10:37 pm

MJ was big, but for me (X) it was Casey Kasem.  As artists came and went, he was the one personality who covered them all, and was there every week of my entire time growing up.

Excellent points. He was on the radio for a lotta years, and did an excellent job on his weekly radio shows not only counting down the songs, but talking about the artists in such detail that made him a one-of-a-kind radio personality/host. I listened to him growing up too.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/16/19 at 6:21 am

I agree for Millennials, it was Chester Bennington.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/19 at 7:48 am

I remember Casey Kasem's American Top 40.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/16/19 at 8:30 am

For millennials i say Allyah even tho her music has a gen x appeal her early stuff was very teeny-bobby and by the time she passed away in 2001  a lot of millennials were in high school. She reached her peak during the timberland style of rnb was popular which was what many Y'ers grew up on. Allyah's death is about the equalvant of Xxxtemcion's death for gen z. Both musicians that  that died in their early 20's while their audience was very young.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/19 at 1:56 pm

I would say Marilyn Monroe, her life was cut short because of an accidental overdose in 1962, What do you guys think about her death? Do you think she could've asked for some help, maybe she would've still been around today? ???

Written By: rapplepop on 07/17/19 at 3:51 am

I agree for Millennials, it was Chester Bennington.

Yeah that was shocking. I know Chester sang about his emotional problems a lot but I didn't expect him to actually kill himself. My brother was a HUGE Linkin Park fan growing up and I really liked them too.

Written By: nally on 07/17/19 at 11:05 am

I would say Marilyn Monroe, her life was cut short because of an accidental overdose in 1962, What do you guys think about her death? Do you think she could've asked for some help, maybe she would've still been around today? ???

Yeah, she could have been a key loss for people in that generation. If she hadn't had that overdose, she definitely would've lived longer, but the world will never know how long for sure. (She would have turned 93 last month if still alive now.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/17/19 at 11:44 am

For us Boomers, we were hit pretty hard by the trifecta of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison (of the Doors) which happened in the span of less than a year (Sep 1970 for Hendrix, Oct 1970 for Joplin, June 1971 for Morrison).  This hit us collectively with a sense of malaise that's hard to otherwise explain.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 07/17/19 at 2:53 pm

Yeah, she could have been a key loss for people in that generation. If she hadn't had that overdose, she definitely would've lived longer, but the world will never know how long for sure. (She would have turned 93 last month if still alive now.)

If Marilyn Monroe hadn't taken drugs but still living at her age (late 30's) just imagine the social media she'd be on such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.  :o

Written By: exodus08 on 07/17/19 at 2:57 pm

If Marilyn Monroe hadn't taken drugs but still living at her age (late 30's) just imagine the social media she'd be on such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.  :o

She would of been 93 this year.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/19 at 3:11 pm

What I'm saying Exodus is what would Marilyn think of all of the social media in 2019?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/17/19 at 10:58 pm

What I'm saying Exodus is what would Marilyn think of all of the social media in 2019?

With all this Marilyn talk I just have to post this - a collection of Marilyn's clips from the 1951 comedy "As Young As You Feel"  (I like the movie):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz0o2l9yc0w

Written By: Howard on 07/18/19 at 5:44 am

With all this Marilyn talk I just have to post this - a collection of Marilyn's clips from the 1951 comedy "As Young As You Feel"  (I like the movie):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz0o2l9yc0w

AG, do you remember seeing her final film before she passed away?  ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/18/19 at 6:28 am

AG, do you remember seeing her final film before she passed away?  ???

I'm afraid not  :-\\ 

Incidentally I never recall seeing her when she was alive (being only 2 when she passed)...

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/18/19 at 2:23 pm

She could have remained relevant for many decades like Madonna or Elizabeth Taylor, or she could have just faded out into the background like Doris Day, so that would be the biggest mystery that we'll never be able to find out.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 3:12 pm

I agree with everyone here!

Silent Generation: Marilyn Monroe (1962)/ Ronald Reagan (2004)/ Elizabeth Taylor (2011)

Baby Boomers: Lucille Ball (1989)/Jim Hendrix (1970)/John Lennon and George Harrison (2001)/Aretha Franklin (2018)/Janis Joplin (1970)/ Mel Blanc (1989)/ Elvis (1977)/ Marvin Gaye (1984)

Early Xers: Michael Jackson (2009)/ Prince (2016)

Late Xers/XYers: Jim Henson (1990)/ Robin Williams (2014)/ Carrie Fisher (2016)/ George Michael (2016)/ Corey Haim (2010)/ Patrick Swayze (2009)/Kurt Cobain (1994)/Eazy-E (1994)/Tupac (1996)/Notorious BIG (1997)

Millennials: Aaliyah (2001), Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes (2001)/Chester Bennington (2017)

Gen Zers: XXXTentacion (2018)

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 4:22 pm

I remember when Aaliyah died in 2001and when lisa died in September of 2002. But I was born in 1997. I went to Hawaii in july of 2002 and remember being so scared of planes because If Aaliyahs crash and seeing 9/11.

I wasn’t really into Aaliyah’s music so much in the 90s or early 2000s, but her death sounded shady to me at the time. It was odd that Aaliyah and her backup singers had that many carry-on bags that the plane she was in was weighed down. How did they let her on the plane with so much baggage?!

Oddly enough, I didn’t fear flying on planes when George W. Bush was President. The idea of a terrorist traveling on a plane that wasn’t owned by him to fatally harm Americans was not genuine to me. I’m glad the early George W Bush days are over.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 4:29 pm

My mom was a huge fan during the one in a million era in the late 90’s however I was only a baby when that album dropped in 1996/1997 ish. I only remember her red album as I was around 41/2- 5 years old when it peaked in popularity. I feel like Ashanti copied a lot of her style after Aaliyah passed. I still have the red album at home. It was a big part if my childhood.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 4:35 pm

My mom was a huge fan during the one in a million era in the late 90’s however I was only a baby when that album dropped in 1996/1997 ish. I only remember her red album as I was around 41/2- 5 years old when it peaked in popularity. I feel like Ashanti copied a lot of her style after Aaliyah passed. I still have the red album at home. It was a big part if my childhood.

I’ve never heard anyone say that Ashanti was influenced by the sound of Aaliyah. You’re the first person I have heard say that. I think I prefer Aaliyah’s period of music to Ashanti’s. Isn’t that how it’s supposed to be?  ;D

Aaliyah was first. I’ll have to go back and watch Ashanti videos to see what you’re talking about.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 5:53 pm

Yeah I hate when Ja rule calls her “The new princess of RnB” ... Go watch her music video for “Baby” looks so similar to One in a million. The all white background, Nia long hugging that guy on the motorcycle at the end, etc. The Rock with me music video looks very similar to Rock the boat, even the Bahamian dance moves are adjacent.

Written By: xenzue on 07/23/19 at 5:35 pm

For Gen Z, it's easily XXXTentacion and Cameron Boyce

Written By: nally on 07/23/19 at 11:22 pm

Early Xers: Michael Jackson (2009)/ Prince (2016)

Late Xers/XYers: Jim Henson (1990)/ Robin Williams (2014)/ Carrie Fisher (2016)/ George Michael (2016)/ Corey Haim (2010)/ Patrick Swayze (2009)/Kurt Cobain (1994)/Eazy-E (1994)/Tupac (1996)/Notorious BIG (1997)

Millennials: Aaliyah (2001), Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes (2001)/Chester Bennington (2017)

I agree with all these, particularly those whose names I bolded. Of course a number of them died of an unnatural cause (suicide, gunshot, crash, etc).

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/24/19 at 6:19 pm

For Gen Z, it's easily XXXTentacion and Cameron Boyce
I honestly believe Cameron Boyce’s death had a bigger impact on our generation, to be honest. Sure, XXXTentacion died at 20 as well, but Cameron was already well known years before. He was literally a part of Generation Z’s childhood.

Check for new replies or respond here...