inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is the Best Part of a Decade?

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 8:42 am

What would you say is the best part of a decade?

The turn of the decade?

The core part of the decade?

The end of the decade?

Between those parts I mentioned?

What part of a decade do you like living in?

Subject: Re: What is the Best Part of a Decade?

Written By: abisert on 08/02/19 at 9:37 pm

I like how in the late '10s, we got to see all the events happen in this decade to look back on. Just right before a new decade starts.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/03/19 at 7:44 am

I like how in the late '10s, we got to see all the events happen in this decade to look back on. Just right before a new decade starts.

I’ve noticed that magazine writers do that for decades and years towards the end of each decade or year.

Written By: abisert on 08/09/19 at 10:52 am

Interesting.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/11/19 at 3:30 pm

In general, the latter part of the decade seems easier to live in because most of the decade is behind us.

In a Xennial’s case, like myself, the earliest part of the 1990s was more like how I want the world to be today. My childhood culture wasn’t gone. Everything and I mean everything was still there in 1990. Things didn’t get sour for Xennials really until late in the summer of 1992.

Written By: 2001 on 08/11/19 at 5:18 pm

I want to say middle, because you stop getting those "When is the real 2010s coming?? Everything is still the same as the 2000s!" types but also you don't get as much of the "The 2010s are hell on earth and the 2000s were heaven on earth" types either. It is balanced. The current decade's identity is clear and the identity of the previous decade isn't blurred by nostalgic revisionist history either. :P

Written By: Retrolover on 08/12/19 at 10:46 am

I want to say middle, because you stop getting those "When is the real 2010s coming?? Everything is still the same as the 2000s!" types but also you don't get as much of the "The 2010s are hell on earth and the 2000s were heaven on earth" types either. It is balanced. The current decade's identity is clear and the identity of the previous decade isn't blurred by nostalgic revisionist history either. :P

I hear what you’re saying. The middle of the decade is ‘when the story really starts to unfold’. It’s a little unclear at first and sides a little more towards the next decade in the last era.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/12/19 at 5:14 pm

In a fictional work, a person could travel back in time to the first year of any time and say that year represents the whole period.

I’m torn between the first and last eras of decades.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/17/19 at 1:32 pm

It's always the CORE part of the decade culturally. Notice how I didn't just say the "mid" years. It's the core parts. For example, for the 2000's, it's 2003-2007, those were the most definitive years of the 2000's without question. The most definitive years of the 2010's might extend since a lot didn't change throughout the decade. The end of the decade is usually the worst, but not every decade was that way.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 2:13 pm

It's always the CORE part of the decade culturally. Notice how I didn't just say the "mid" years. It's the core parts. For example, for the 2000's, it's 2003-2007, those were the most definitive years of the 2000's without question. The most definitive years of the 2010's might extend since a lot didn't change throughout the decade. The end of the decade is usually the worst, but not every decade was that way.

Definitely. I thought I was the only one… ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...