inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Should Decades Be Remembered?

Written By: Retrolover on 08/18/19 at 12:57 pm

Should decades be remembered for mainly the tail end of them or the start of the decade?

For example, why do we remember the 90s for “Rugrats”, “F.R.I.E.N.D.S”, the first “Harry Potter” book, Backstreet Boys, and Tommy Hilfiger?

Why aren’t the 90s remembered for “Terminator 2: Judgement Day”, “Family Matters”, “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” action figures, Generra Hypercolor, and rappers like MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice?

What do you think?

Subject: Re: How Should Decades Be Remembered?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/18/19 at 1:44 pm

They are. I say it depends on what generation one is. Gen Xers, for example, were not into trends such as Rugrats, TMNT, or Harry Potter. They were into fads like Terminator, Family Matters, and Friends.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/21/19 at 8:32 am

They are. I say it depends on what generation one is. Gen Xers, for example, were not into trends such as Rugrats, TMNT, or Harry Potter. They were into fads like Terminator, Family Matters, and Friends.

“FRIENDS” always gets a nod when the 90s are brought up, but not “Terminator 2: Judgement Day” too often. It’s strange because a lot of Gen Xers would much rather be reminded of when they were younger in the 90s and going to see “Terminator 2: Judgement Day” over 2 times at the mall.

The premiere of “FRIENDS” was like the premiere of “Thirtysomething” in the 1990s, but “FRIENDS” seemed to have more comedy in it than “Cheers”.

“FRIENDS” became popular in the latter part of the mid 90s. A Zer reading a book on how the 90s were would not get an idea of living in the whole 90s from an author listing the new shows, movie characters, books, video games, and toys from the 90s. That’s all I’m trying to say.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/27/19 at 1:43 am

I'd say the years xx3-xx7 are probably the most representative of the decades as a whole, imo.

Written By: GuapitoChico on 08/29/19 at 12:16 pm

I'd say the years xx3-xx7 are probably the most representative of the decades as a whole, imo.

Agreed, at least for the 2000s. 2002/2003 & 2007/2008 were transitional years, but in between is an era of its own.

Written By: rapplepop on 09/01/19 at 1:45 am

It depends on the decade. I would say the 60s was defined mostly by 1964-68, the 70s and 80s basically by their entire decades, the 90s by 1993-1998, the 00s by 2000-2006, and the 10s by 2010-2017.

I would consider the failure of the Fyre Festival to be symbolically the end of this decade, much like the Altamont Free Concert was the symbolic end of the 1960s.

Check for new replies or respond here...