inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Movies Did You Know?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/19 at 6:59 am

Did you know?

Post your film/movie facts here.

Subject: Re: Movies Did You Know?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/20 at 1:26 am

Did you know that Joaquin Phoenix was born with the name Joaquin Bottom, also his brother was born River Bottom?

Written By: Howard on 04/09/20 at 8:15 am

https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/p960x960/89951624_10157593251661028_5180577217289125888_o.png?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=da1649&_nc_ohc=lqBxe5A_fqMAX_IM8Aw&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=276ad86ba8ff289a9b9ddbe354851b96&oe=5EB67602

How did that tire do that?  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/20 at 8:22 am

How did that tire do that?  :o
It is cinema, remember animals talked in The Lion King last year?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/20 at 11:59 am

In the film "Outbreak" (1995), Betsy, the white-headed capuchin Monkey, also appeared on "Friends (1994)" as Marcel, Ross' pet. The monkey's role in this movie was spoofed by a poster showing Marcel as the star in the fictional movie "Outbreak 2: The Virus Takes Manhattan". This movie and "Friends" (1994) were Warner Brothers productions.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/20 at 8:27 am

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/p960x960/96045460_10157779172006028_3897774930988630016_o.png?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=da1649&_nc_ohc=O59RAeOiq0cAX8R--NL&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=43974bc32893a3a122b18d8b634b9d0a&oe=5ED7AE82

Was she able to drink?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/20 at 8:41 am

Was she able to drink?
I will look into it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/20 at 10:00 am

Was she able to drink?

I will look into it.
Not sure now, I retract the image.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/20 at 3:44 pm

In the 2006 film "Marie Antionette", in the 18th century pre-French Revolution, in a shoes changing scene a pair of baseball boots can be scene.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-06-yY-kzXVs/Wm6ONJsMvOI/AAAAAAAADGY/GFVJrF1DCwgjz1gl_oityf2AkwYcG625gCLcBGAs/s1600/marie%2Bantoinette_4538.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/20 at 2:40 am

Nino Rota's score for The Godfather had been nominated for a 1973 Academy Award for Best Original Score. However, it was disqualified from consideration when the Academy learned Rota had used a more comedic version of the song for the film Fortunella (1958).  Nonetheless, Rota's score for The Godfather Part II won the 1974 Academy Award for Best Score, despite the fact that it contained the same piece.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/21 at 4:42 am

In the 1975 movie "The Day of the Locust", the actor Donald Sutherland plays a character with the name Homer Simpson.

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/21 at 11:55 am

In the 1988 movie Caddyshack II, the Jackie Mason character of Jack Hartoonian buys Bushwood Country Club and turns it into a family amusement park.  Around the park, you see Looney Tunes characters (Bugs Bunny, etc) which were able to be used because Caddyshack II was a Warner Bros. film

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/21 at 12:19 pm

In the 1989 film Back to the Future Part II, that was directed by Robert Zemeckis and produced by Steven Spielberg, Doc (Christopher Lloyd) and Marty (Michael J. Fox) time travel to the year 2015 ...

- When Marty enters the Cafe 80's, a wall of TV screens can be seen and if you look close, there is an episode of Taxi (starring Christopher Lloyd) and Family Ties (starring Michael J. Fox)

- When Marty sees the Sports Almanac in the antique store window, you can also see a Roger Rabbit doll, a Jaws video game, the Jean Jacket that Marty wore in the first film as well as the JVC Video Camera he used.  Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a Robert Zemeckis film and Jaws was a Steven Spielberg film.  Also, the Jaws video game was made by LJN, the same company that also made video games based on all 3 Back to the Future films.

- When Marty was on his way to the Cafe 80s, he is "attacked" by a 3-D Hologram from the marquee showing Jaws 19, that is directed by Max Spielberg.  Steven's son Max was born June 1985, 1 month before the original theatrical release of the first Back to the Future

- When Doc shows Marty the newspaper that says he was committed to a mental institution, you see a headline that reads "Nixon to seek fifth term as president", so whatever Biff used the Sports Almanac on caused the Watergate scandal to not exist

- In the Cafe 80s, Marty shows a couple of kids (one of whom is played by a young Elijah Wood) how to play a Wild Gunman arcade game.  That version was never released as an arcade game, only for the Nintendo and Famicom home systems and was a launch title for those systems in 1985

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/21 at 1:18 pm

In Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992)
In an interview in November 2020, director Chris Columbus claimed that Donald Trump "bullied" his way into his cameo by making it part of the deal to shoot scenes in the lobby of the Plaza Hotel, which Trump owned at the time of filming. Columbus wasn't happy about the stipulation while filming, but when they screened the movie for the first time, the test audience cheered when Trump appeared, so Columbus felt better about it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/21 at 2:30 pm

In Toy Story 2 (1999), Jessie, after meeting Woody, exclaims “Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln!” This is a reference to Tom Hanks, the voice of Woody, being related to the president through Lincoln's mother.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/21 at 11:29 am

The 1967 film "Custer of the West" is described as 'highly fictionalised', and was shot entirely in Spain.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/21 at 9:34 am

In "Bruce Almighty" (2003),

From wiki:
"As God (Morgan Freeman) contacts Bruce (Jim Carrey) using an actual phone number rather than one in the standard fictional 555 telephone exchange, several people and groups sharing this number received hundreds of phone calls from people wanting to talk to God, including a church in North Carolina, US (where the minister was named Bruce), a pastor in northern Wisconsin and a man running a sandwich shop in Manchester, England. The producers noted that the number (776-2323) was not in use in the area code (716, which was never specified on screen) in the film's story, but did not check anywhere else. For the home-video and television versions of the film, the number was changed to the fictional 555-0123."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/21 at 1:57 pm

In the movie Dark Shadows (2012), four of the original cast members from the '60s series made cameo appearances.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/21 at 1:15 pm

The enduring legacy of the film "Distant Drums" (1951), is that it contains the earliest known use of the Wilhelm scream sound effect, voiced by cast member Sheb Wooley and originally used to vocalize a character being bitten by an alligator. The effect is used in the animated Disney and Pixar films such as the Toy Story and Cars series; and the movies Up, Monsters University, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Kung Fu Panda, Hercules, and Game of Thrones, to name a few. Many other blockbuster films, television programs, cartoons, and video games have made use of the scream. Other sound designers picked up on the effect, and inclusion of the sound in films became a tradition among the community of sound designers. A scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom sees main antagonist Mola Ram (Amrish Puri) being eaten alive by crocodiles, accompanied by the scream. Sound designer Gary Rydstrom included the effect for his 2006 directorial debut in Pixar's short, Lifted.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/14/21 at 1:30 pm

The enduring legacy of the film "Distant Drums" (1951), is that it contains the earliest known use of the Wilhelm scream sound effect, voiced by cast member Sheb Wooley and originally used to vocalize a character being bitten by an alligator. The effect is used in the animated Disney and Pixar films such as the Toy Story and Cars series; and the movies Up, Monsters University, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Kung Fu Panda, Hercules, and Game of Thrones, to name a few. Many other blockbuster films, television programs, cartoons, and video games have made use of the scream. Other sound designers picked up on the effect, and inclusion of the sound in films became a tradition among the community of sound designers. A scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom sees main antagonist Mola Ram (Amrish Puri) being eaten alive by crocodiles, accompanied by the scream. Sound designer Gary Rydstrom included the effect for his 2006 directorial debut in Pixar's short, Lifted.

I had never heard the term the "Wilhelm Scream" until just last week.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/21 at 1:36 pm

I had never heard the term the "Wilhelm Scream" until just last week.

Cat
When watching movies together, my son and I play 'spot the Wilhelm Scream'.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/14/21 at 1:40 pm

Now that I know what it is, I will be trying to spot it myself.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/14/21 at 2:56 pm

Did you watch that same Rob Lowe show on HBO that I did about all the movie tropes?  ;D It was pretty good until it started getting all politically correct towards the end.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/21 at 3:39 pm

Did you watch that same Rob Lowe show on HBO that I did about all the movie tropes?  ;D It was pretty good until it started getting all politically correct towards the end.
Something I have not watched, but in the meantime here is The Wilhelm scream sound effect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn6hhrX34Pw

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/21 at 6:38 am

The volleyball used as a prop in the 2000 film Cast Away has sold at auction for a staggering $308,000 (£230,000).

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/22 at 4:41 pm

John Williams has been nominated for 52 Academy Awards, winning 5; 6 Emmy Awards, winning 3; 25 Golden Globe Awards, winning 4; 72 Grammy Awards, winning 25; 16 British Academy Film Awards, winning 7; 22 Saturn Awards, winning 8. With 52 Oscar nominations, Williams currently holds the record for the most Oscar nominations for a living person, and is the second most nominated person in Academy Awards history behind Walt Disney with 59, as well as the only person in the history of the Academy Awards to have received nominations in seven consecutive decades. Forty-seven of Williams's Oscar nominations are for Best Original Score and five are for Best Original Song. He won four Oscars for Best Original Score and one for Best Scoring: Adaptation and Original Song Score (Fiddler on the Roof).

Written By: whistledog on 01/25/22 at 10:58 pm

John Williams has been nominated for 52 Academy Awards, winning 5; 6 Emmy Awards, winning 3; 25 Golden Globe Awards, winning 4; 72 Grammy Awards, winning 25; 16 British Academy Film Awards, winning 7; 22 Saturn Awards, winning 8. With 52 Oscar nominations, Williams currently holds the record for the most Oscar nominations for a living person, and is the second most nominated person in Academy Awards history behind Walt Disney with 59, as well as the only person in the history of the Academy Awards to have received nominations in seven consecutive decades. Forty-seven of Williams's Oscar nominations are for Best Original Score and five are for Best Original Song. He won four Oscars for Best Original Score and one for Best Scoring: Adaptation and Original Song Score (Fiddler on the Roof).

Here's a bit of John Williams six degrees...

His son Joseph Williams is the current singer with the rock band Toto, a role he has held on and off again since 1986.  Prior to his joining the band, Toto had a popular hit in 1984/85 called Stranger in Town.  In the song's music video, the title role is played by Brad Dourif, an actor best known as the voice of Chucky in the Child's Play franchise, voicing the character in every film and TV series with the exception of the 2019 film reboot in which Chucky was voiced by Mark Hamill

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/22 at 9:13 am

For the movie "Paint Your Wagon", Lee Marvin drank real alcohol throughout the production, even though director Joshua Logan fought him about it. In most movies, the actors and actresses drink tea for whiskey and water for vodka. Marvin would only work if he got real liquor.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/22 at 5:09 am

Here's a bit of John Williams six degrees...

His son Joseph Williams is the current singer with the rock band Toto, a role he has held on and off again since 1986.  Prior to his joining the band, Toto had a popular hit in 1984/85 called Stranger in Town.  In the song's music video, the title role is played by Brad Dourif, an actor best known as the voice of Chucky in the Child's Play franchise, voicing the character in every film and TV series with the exception of the 2019 film reboot in which Chucky was voiced by Mark Hamill
John Williams was brought in to serve as music consultant for the Steven Spielberg remake of "West Side Story". He was piano soloist for the soundtrack of the 1961 film.

Written By: whistledog on 07/25/22 at 11:01 pm

In the 1980 movie Caddyshack, there is a scene where Al (Rodney Dangerfield) reveals a radio on his golf bag and they all dance to the song Anyway You Want It by Journey.  The movie was filmed in the Autumn of 1979 and that song was released in February of 1980, but by the time the film was released to theatres, that song had already become a major hit.  The question that inquiring minds want to know is what was the actual song that they were dancing to as it was filmed, if there even was one (or maybe the actors were just told to dance even though no music played)?  I don't have that answer... but it's one I would love to know!

I speculate that it was originally a disco song (as you can see a person in the background doing John Travolta-esque pointing dance moves), but due to the backlash of disco at the time, they went with a rock song for the final cut

3YTizJcKUlE

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/23 at 12:03 pm

Sean Connery, who died in 2020, was the first choice to play Gandalf in Peter Jackson's adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy. The Hollywood star featured in several films in the James Bond saga as well as titles that are part of the history of cinema. However, Connery did not accept the role despite a lucrative offer. He was allegedly offered 30 million dollars per film, plus 15 percent of the box-office profits from the film saga. In other words, the decision cost him some 450m dollars.

Written By: whistledog on 01/18/23 at 12:58 pm

Sylvester Stallone was originally cast to play the lead in the 1984 film Beverly Hills Cop but he left the project 2 weeks before filming was to begin because his idea of what the film was gonna be got rejected by the studio due to cost issues.  The lead role eventually went to Eddie Murphy and the ideas that Stallone had for the film became the 1986 film Cobra.

In Beverly Hills Cop II, a Cobra poster can be seen on Billy Rosewood's bedroom wall.  The character of Rambo is also mentioned.

But wait, there's more:  Cobra was based on a book called Fair Game that was also adapted into the 1995 movie Fair Game, which co-starred British actor Steven Berkoff, who was also in Beverly Hills Cop

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/23 at 1:38 pm

In a manner of speaking, the film "A Day At The Beach" saved Roman Polanski's life. He was working on it when Charles Manson's Family killed Sharon Tate and others at their home. In fact, Sharon was unhappy that Roman was still not home, meaning that his working on the film kept him unexpectedly longer than anticipated, and he was supposed to be home during the slayings.

Written By: nally on 01/18/23 at 10:13 pm

In the 2006 film "Marie Antionette", in the 18th century pre-French Revolution, in a shoes changing scene a pair of baseball boots can be scene.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-06-yY-kzXVs/Wm6ONJsMvOI/AAAAAAAADGY/GFVJrF1DCwgjz1gl_oityf2AkwYcG625gCLcBGAs/s1600/marie%2Bantoinette_4538.jpg

That would be an anachronism! :o
Of course, when setting a film way in the past, that can be a problem.

Written By: nally on 01/18/23 at 11:12 pm

In Toy Story 2 (1999), Jessie, after meeting Woody, exclaims “Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln!” This is a reference to Tom Hanks, the voice of Woody, being related to the president through Lincoln's mother.

O0

That is quite interesting. This must mean they must be distant cousins several times removed.

Written By: nally on 01/18/23 at 11:16 pm

I have a contribution:

Joanna Barnes, who played the antagonist in the original Parent Trap film from 1961, played the corresponding character’s mother (a minor character) in the 1998 remake. Both characters were named Vicky.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/23 at 2:54 am

That would be an anachronism! :o
Of course, when setting a film way in the past, that can be a problem.
Yes, not only an anachronism, but product placement as well.

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/23 at 11:09 pm

The 1979 movie Moonraker was originally not intended to be the next James Bond film.  At the end credits of 1977's The Spy Who Loved Me, it said "James Bond will return in For Your Eyes Only". 

https://i.ibb.co/KXdhvPM/BOND1.jpg

Following the major success of Star Wars, the producers decided last minute the next film would be Moonraker as its plot involved a space theme.  At the end credits of Moonraker, it said "James Bond will return in For Your Eyes Only", which was the next film, released in 1981

https://i.ibb.co/Trr01Jj/BOND2.jpg

At the end credits of 1983's Octopussy, it said "James Bond will return in From A View To A Kill", which was the original title of the Ian Fleming story, but when the film was released in 1985, the title was shortened to "A View To A Kill"

https://i.ibb.co/zPzqSjV/BOND3.jpg

At the end credits of A View To A Kill, and every Bond film since, it only says "James Bond will return", which I bet was done on purpose to avoid last minute changes.  I often wonder what For Your Eyes Only would have been like had it been released in 1979 as originally intended.  The theme song certainly wouldn't have been Sheena Easton

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/23 at 12:05 am

More James Bond trivia...

The title song to 1979's Moonraker was first offered to Frank Sinatra, but he declined and it then went to Johnny Mathis, but last minute, he withdrew because he wasn't impressed with the song.  It was then offered to Kate Bush, who also declined as she was about to embark on a British tour, so they offered it to Shirley Bassey, who had previously sung the themes to the Bond films Goldfinger and Diamonds Are Forever.  She said yes, but as it was such short notice, she recorded it weeks before the film's scheduled release date and didn't have time to perform or promote it, which may have been the reason for it's failure to chart when released as a single.

When United Artists pressed the 45, they mistakenly put the labels on the wrong sides.  The A side, which was the version used to open the film, was labelled as "Moonraker (End Title)" and the B-Side, which was the version used to close the film, was labelled as "Moonraker (Main Title)"

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/23 at 10:06 am

How about a James Bond triple play...

1979's Moonraker had a production cost of $34 million, but ended up earning $210 million at the box office and remained the highest grossing James Bond film until 1995's GoldenEye, which earned $356 million on a production budget of $60 Million. 

In 1980, United Artists suffered a major financial flop with a film called Heaven's Gate, which lost the studio $40 million dollars, giving them a record loss that year mostly due to that film.  As a result, production costs on For Your Eyes Only had to be reduced, which is reflected in the film as it was not as special effects heavy as Moonraker was, yet on a $28 million budget. the film grossed over $195 million

The title song to For Your Eyes Only was recorded by Sheena Easton, and she appears in the opening sequence of the film, making her the first performer of a James Bond title theme to do so

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/23 at 1:03 pm

What the hell, I'm on a James Bond roll...

The instrumental piece Runaway as performed by Bill Conti and featured during the ski chase scene of the 1981 film For Your Eyes Only was later used as the theme song for the TV series Runaway With the Rich and Famous starring Robin Leach

_U47z6MsTe8 UxvKmrkilHM

To date, the only title song from a James Bond film to reach #1 in the US chart is 1985's A View To A Kill by Duran Duran.  Two reached the pole position in the UK:  Spectre by Sam Smith in 2015 and No Time To Die by Billie Eilish in 2020.  Two also reached the pole position in Canada:  A View To A Kill by Duran Duran in 1985 and Die Another Day by Madonna in 2002

In 1983, Warner Brothers released the film Never Say Never Again, which was a remake of the 1965 film Thunderball, both starring Sean Connery as James Bond.  He had returned to the role for the first time since 1971's Diamonds Are Forever and was his final appearance as Bond.  The film was not produced by EON productions, the 2nd of only two films not produced by EON (the other being Casino Royale in 1967), and these films are often disregarded as James Bond films, despite both being based on novels written by Ian Flemming (They may not be official Bond films, but they are still 100% James Bond films).  Because it was not an EON production, it does not feature the famous gun barrel sequence (where Bond turns to the camera and fires, as blood pours down the screen), nor does it have an opening title song sequence.  The title song as performed by Lani Hall peaked at #3 on the US Bubbling Under Chart (US #103) and simply plays as Bond goes through a training exercise which begins the film

Steven Seagal was a martial arts instructor on Never Say Never Again and accidentally broke Sean Connery's wrist during filming.  Filming took place in September of 1982, whereas the Roger Moore Bond film Octopussy had begun filming in August of 1982.  When both films were completed, Warner chose to release Never Say Never Again last, to avoid a Battle of the Bonds at the Box Office.  In the US, Octopussy went on to be the 6th highest grossing film of 1983, and Never Say Never Again was the 13th

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/04/23 at 1:06 pm

What the hell, I'm on a James Bond roll...

The instrumental piece Runaway as performed by Bill Conti and featured during the ski chase scene of the 1981 film For Your Eyes Only was later used as the theme song for the TV series Runaway With the Rich and Famous starring Robin Leach

To date, the only title song from a James Bond film to reach #1 in the US chart is 1985's A View To A Kill by Duran Duran.  Two reached the pole position in the UK:  Spectre by Sam Smith in 2015 and No Time To Die by Billie Eilish in 2020.  Two also reached the pole position in Canada:  A View To A Kill by Duran Duran in 1985 and Die Another Day by Madonna in 2002

In 1983, Warner Brothers released the film Never Say Never Again, which was a remake of the 1965 film Thunderball, both starring Sean Connery as James Bond.  He had returned to the role for the first time since 1971's Diamonds Are Forever and was his final appearance as Bond.  The film was not produced by EON productions, the 2nd of only two films not produced by EON (the other being Casino Royale in 1967), and these films are often disregarded as James Bond films, despite both being based on novels written by Ian Flemming (They may not be official Bond films, but they are still 100% James Bond films).  Because it was not an EON production, it does not feature the famous gun barrel sequence (where Bond turns to the camera and fires, as blood pours down the screen), nor does it have an opening title song sequence.  The title song as performed by Lani Hall peaked at #3 on the US Bubbling Under Chart (US #103) and simply plays as Bond goes through a training exercise which begins the film

Steven Seagal was a martial arts instructor on Never Say Never Again and accidentally broke Sean Connery's wrist during filming.  Filming took place in September of 1982, whereas the Roger Moore Bond film Octopussy had begun filming in August of 1982.  When both films were completed, Warner chose to release Never Say Never Again last, to avoid a Battle of the Bonds at the Box Office.  In the US, Octopussy went on to be the 6th highest grossing film of 1983, and Never Say Never Again was the 13th

I would have sworn "Live and Let Die" went to #1, but I checked, and it only got to #2.  :o

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/23 at 11:28 am

I would have sworn "Live and Let Die" went to #1, but I checked, and it only got to #2.  :o

I had thought it was #1 also, but not even in the UK.  That was surprising

More Bond trivia...

The original choice to record the title song to 'For Your Eyes Only' was the band Blondie, whose vocalist Deborah Harry and guitarist Chris Stein wrote a title song, but the producers rejected it in favour of the Bill Conti penned song that Blondie passed on, and eventually went to Sheena Easton.

The song that Harry and Stein wrote appears on Blondie's 1982 album 'The Hunter'

Y2Y-hCydiXA

Check for new replies or respond here...