inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Earliest year you have "yesterday-like" memories of?

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 10/24/19 at 2:36 am

For me, I want to say 1989. Maybe even 1988.

Subject: Re: Earliest year you have "yesterday-like" memories of?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/24/19 at 3:31 am

Sometimes I find it difficult to remember what yesterday was like.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/24/19 at 11:27 am

Not sure I understand the topic question. But my earliest memory is from the early 80s. Even though most of my memories of 1981 to 1982 are fuzzy, I do have some clear memories of that time period.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/24/19 at 11:33 am

Not sure I understand the topic question. But my earliest memory is from the early 80s. Even though most of my memories of 1981 to 1982 are fuzzy, I do have some clear memories of that time period.
Like you, I am not sure either, but I do remember the 1980s very well.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 10/25/19 at 1:34 am

To put it in a better: The first year you remember (relatively) well?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/25/19 at 2:02 am

O0

I can distinctly remember watching the World Cup Football Final in 1966 (England won!) on television, but do have snatches of memories from precious years.

Written By: Howard on 10/25/19 at 7:37 am

Like you, I am not sure either, but I do remember the 1980s very well.

I also remember the trends from The 1980's.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/25/19 at 7:56 am

Written By: Emman on 10/25/19 at 4:35 pm

For me, I want to say 1989. Maybe even 1988.

My first memories start around 1988, I can vividly remember a few key personal events from 1989, the biggest one experiencing(and surviving) Hurricane Hugo while living in a rural area near Charleston, sc.

Written By: 1985 on 10/25/19 at 5:08 pm

i have a couple of "yesterday like" memories from when i was as young as 2.5 years old

Written By: nally on 10/26/19 at 12:19 am

I figured this is what you meant.

The year I was 5 (1985) is probably my answer.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/26/19 at 9:28 am

I have several memories that go back to age 3 (1963) but they are by and large vague and sporadic.  I definitely don't remember anything about events or politics from then, and I have zero memories of the Kennedy assassination.  (I really wasn't aware at all regarding events or politics until I was 8-ish - and then only really huge things.  Although I have memories of things that affected us, like the January 1967 crippling snow blizzard.)

Written By: nally on 10/26/19 at 11:20 am

^ Similarly, anything that I would remember from age 3, if at all, would be fuzzy. I didn't even become aware of political stuff, like elections, until age 8 either (for me, that was the 1988 presidential election, between George HW Bush and Michael Dukakis). However, I do remember Ronald Reagan as President, having seen him speak on TV.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/26/19 at 7:44 pm

A couple months ago I detailed a memory of mine from age 4 (1964) in a different thread; here's a link to it, for anyone curious:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=60031.msg3832304#msg3832304

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/19 at 3:44 am

I have several memories that go back to age 3 (1963) but they are by and large vague and sporadic.  I definitely don't remember anything about events or politics from then, and I have zero memories of the Kennedy assassination.  (I really wasn't aware at all regarding events or politics until I was 8-ish - and then only really huge things.  Although I have memories of things that affected us, like the January 1967 crippling snow blizzard.)

Thank you for reminding me, I can recall the severe winter the UK had in December 1962, I recall playing out in the snow.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/27/19 at 9:21 pm

... I have memories of things that affected us, like the January 1967 crippling snow blizzard...

Thank you for reminding me, I can recall the severe winter the UK had in December 1962, I recall playing out in the snow.

About that '67 Chicago blizzard.  At the time I was six going on seven.  I don't remember the snow actually falling.  But I was a kid who loved playing in the snow.  After the snow stopped falling, I told my parents I was going to go out and play in the snow.  Both parents looked me in the face and said, "Don't go out there.  There's too much snow."  Undaunted, I continued to insist I really wanted to go out and play in the snow.  Mom and Dad gave each other that knowing look, then Mom smiled and told me "you can go out, but you make sure to dress really warm".  I had permission!  I obediently rounded up and donned my snow pants, boots, mittens, hat, scarf, and overcoat, and excitedly bolted for the front door for some snowy outdoor bliss.  I opened the front door and walked down the gangway a few feet until I reached the front of the house.  Looked to the left - saw snow above my eye level.  Looked to the right - saw snow above my eye level.  Looked straight ahead - saw snow above my eye level.  Within a minute, I opened our front door, and Mom asked me "what happened?"  I replied "there's too much snow".  ;D

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 10/27/19 at 9:35 pm

You guys probably won't believe it, but I remember taking my first steps. Since babies are usually a year old when that happens, I'm guessing the year was 2000.
It was strange to see my crib gone, even though this happened after I was first able to walk. I remember because my dad was telling me it meant I was a big boy, sleeping in an actual bed, that is.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/19 at 9:18 am

You guys probably won't believe it, but I remember taking my first steps. Since babies are usually a year old when that happens, I'm guessing the year was 2000.
It was strange to see my crib gone, even though this happened after I was first able to walk. I remember because my dad was telling me it meant I was a big boy, sleeping in an actual bed, that is.
Did you take your first steps at a later age?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 10/28/19 at 10:06 am

Did you take your first steps at a later age?

The age I was when I took my first steps, at least according to my Mom, was somewhere between 8 and 12 months old.
I was born April 1999, so I may have even remembered that from the last month of the millenium o_O...

Written By: violet_shy on 10/29/19 at 5:33 pm

I have some vague memories of my mom feeding me. I know I was in infant because she was bottle feeding me. So that must have been either 1980 or 1981. But I don't remember much else from 80 or 81 I was just a baby.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 10/29/19 at 8:56 pm

I have some vague memories of my mom feeding me. I know I was in infant because she was bottle feeding me. So that must have been either 1980 or 1981. But I don't remember much else from 80 or 81 I was just a baby.

Cool!

Written By: mqg96 on 10/29/19 at 9:30 pm

My first real vivid memories (yesterday-like) is probably in 2001 (age 5). 1998-2000 are early blurry memories.

Written By: Howard on 10/30/19 at 3:16 pm

I can't remember when My Mother fed me cause that was over 40 years ago.

Written By: nally on 10/30/19 at 6:29 pm

I can't remember when My Mother fed me cause that was over 40 years ago.

Likewise, I can't either. I have no memories whatsoever of being a baby or a toddler; however, I have looked at several pictures of myself from then.

Written By: 2001 on 11/12/19 at 2:04 pm

I would say 1999 (age 6), but maybe not until 2001.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 11/12/19 at 10:18 pm

Earliest memories I can think of is in 1999 going to take a photo with my cousin at a mall. I was 2.5 years old. Clear memories I can remember vividly, probably 2000/2001. I remember preschool very clearly and Pre Kindergarten. I also remember going to Santa Monica Pier in 2000 and I went to Disneyland summer of 2001 and remember that trip clearly. Some memories from 2001 seem very recent to me and sometimes they seem so distant.

Written By: annimal on 11/12/19 at 10:49 pm

I was born in 82.  Cant seem to recall much now

Written By: fusefan on 11/14/19 at 12:45 pm

My oldest memories seem to go back to 1994 (maybe 1993?) But for more vivid “yesterday like” memories I’d say definitely 1996 when I was 6. I can recall more things from 1996 than 1993-1995 combined.

Written By: Redhairkid on 03/06/20 at 3:53 pm

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/06/20 at 4:36 pm

Late 2000 going into 2001, when I was in pre school. Earliest memories that I remember like 'yesterday'.

Written By: 2001 on 03/06/20 at 4:39 pm

2002 when I was 9 years old. I do have memories as early as 1997.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/07/20 at 7:10 am

I remember when my sister was born, I was 2 1/2. And our short life in Colorado. That was all in 1979.

Written By: Contigo on 07/31/21 at 1:03 pm

1962 or 1963

Written By: kr37 on 07/31/21 at 10:12 pm

The earliest year I can remember is around 2000 and 2001 when I was 3 or 4 years old, but the earliest years that seems more clear would probably be 2007 and 2008 when I was around 10 years old, even though it feels like a long time ago.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/08/21 at 3:50 pm

Written By: nally on 05/29/22 at 2:12 pm

You guys probably won't believe it, but I remember taking my first steps.

The age I was when I took my first steps, at least according to my Mom, was somewhere between 8 and 12 months old.

You're right; I don't believe it. That is amazing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/22 at 2:46 pm

I don't know what year it was but I do remember my brother changing my diaper.

When I was 3, my family took a trip to Florida. I remember that. In fact, it was the day before our wedding and we had a lot of family over to the house for a pre-wedding party. My dad was in the living room with a couple of my sisters. He called me in and ask me about that trip-whether we stayed in a hotel or camped. I said that we stayed in a hotel. Yeah, they knew I was only about 3 but they also know that I have a VERY good memory. I told them what I remembered about the hotel (the pool, the elevator) and I also remember my grandmother teaching us, "Good-night, good-night, parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say good-night 'til it be 'morrow." (Of course I used to say it "Until it be tomorrow." But, for a 3 year old, not too bad learning and quoting Shakespeare. And all my sisters and I will forever know that quote because of my grandmother teaching us on that trip." )

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/29/22 at 4:45 pm

The earliest memory I can remember the exact date of, was something that happened to me on this date 38 years ago. That’s right; on the 29th of May in 1984, I remember losing a tooth while eating an ice cream cone, at home. I was 3 3/4 years old.

Written By: Contigo on 05/30/22 at 4:35 pm

I have rather vague memories of my parents talking about and watching the Cuban missile crisis on television (1962)  also vague memories of the death of Marilyn Monroe .
I have other personal memories slightly earlier than that , but these are the 1st world events I remember most.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 05/31/22 at 8:11 am

I can recall seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey in the summer of 1968.  I can recall seeing the Apollo 11 Moon landing July 20, 1969.  That's the earliest memory I can tie to an exact date.  I remember the record-breaking cold wave in January 1969, around the time Nixon was inaugurated, but not the inauguration itself.  The temperature dropped into the high 40s and low 50s.  The secretary in the office of the school where my dad worked had to use a space heater.  The red glow of the thing fascinated me.

What I remember best is the music of the time: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Hollies, The Turtles, Bob Dylan, The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, The Supremes, just to name a few.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/31/22 at 10:07 am

I can recall seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey in the summer of 1968.  I can recall seeing the Apollo 11 Moon landing July 20, 1969.  That's the earliest memory I can tie to an exact date.  I remember the record-breaking cold wave in January 1969, around the time Nixon was inaugurated, but not the inauguration itself.  The temperature dropped into the high 40s and low 50s.  The secretary in the office of the school where my dad worked had to use a space heater.  The red glow of the thing fascinated me.

What I remember best is the music of the time: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Hollies, The Turtles, Bob Dylan, The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, The Supremes, just to name a few.

O0 Those are some fine memories!

... I remember the record-breaking cold wave in January 1969, ...  The temperature dropped into the high 40s and low 50s. ...

Hmmm, you must not live in Chicagoland.  High 40s/Low 50s is Spring weather around here    ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/22 at 2:23 pm

The Moon Landing was my first news story that I remember. I remember the day after my mother telling me. I ducked thinking they were on the roof right above us. lol. Later, I remember being outside and seeing the moon (it was out during the day) and thinking, "Wow. There are people up there."

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...