inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Underground Tunes, Rarities, Album Cuts and B-Sides

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/31/19 at 11:08 pm

A new thread idea: post songs you know and love that could be categorized as one of Underground, Rarity, Album cut or B-side.  Definitions:

Underground - received/receiving airplay but only on non-mainstream sources
Rarity - released single but received short-lived or no airplay
Album cut - song residing on album never released as a single
B-side - song released as a single, but only on the opposite side of a main release

IMPORTANT: in order to make this thread enjoyable, posters please adhere to the following rules to properly introduce others to your post:

For each song make sure the artist name and title are typed separately (so if the video is deleted later, we still know what song you're talking about)
For each song give an "as near as you can" timeframe that applies to it (if you don't know exactly, even something like "mid-80s" is helpful)
For each song identify whether you consider it underground, rarity, album cut or B-side
Per category, Identify:
  - Underground or Rarity (heard over the air): identify where you heard it to the best of your ability
  - Rarity (not heard over the air): where did you hear it, or if you own it identify that instead
  - Album cut: identify the album and preferably something about the album
  - B-side: identify the single on the other side of it

Optionally identify anything about the artist, possibly at the time of the release

Including this information greatly increases the likelihood someone else will listen to your post.  And isn't that the point?  I'll post the first one for an example.

Enjoy!

Subject: Re: Underground Tunes, Rarities, Album Cuts and B-Sides

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/31/19 at 11:09 pm

Album Cut - Steely Dan, I Got The News

from their 1977 album, Aja

IMO this album is fabulous start to finish.  At the time Steely Dan was at the top of their game and Aja has been one of their best loved albums.  This particular song seems to me a modern take on the kind of jazz my Dad liked.  Love it!  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39AcK9rcS2A

Subject: Re: Underground Tunes, Rarities, Album Cuts and B-Sides

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/11/19 at 11:23 pm

Rarity - The Esquires, Girls In The City

Early 1971

In my first stint living in Chicago, I occasionally switched radio stations from Top 40 to Soul, to feed my voracious music appetite.  Needless to say in doing so I heard different songs.  This sweet mid-tempo soul gem is one that was played on occasion (especially as the group was Midwestern) and it appealed to me instantly; its respectful and tasteful demeanor was not uncommon at that time, which I appreciated - not to mention I just like the song.  Once it "disappeared" from the airwaves I never heard it for many years - until finding it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7rSTP94eU4

Check for new replies or respond here...