inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Growing up, what songs/movies/shows did you feel weren't vintage but recent?

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/20/19 at 10:16 am

Childhood and even into early adolescence provides myths that no other time in life can, and part of that could have to do with pop culture in terms of when it was released, when there's often the reality that it often seemed recent. For me, the 1948 animated short "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" comes to mind, (this was late '80s/early '90s in my childhood) as I thought at the time it seemed like it wasn't too old (maybe from around the 1960s due to some of the singing style), but never thought it was older than the Rankin-Bass version. I also felt that the Mr. Rogers Neighborhood episodes were also pretty new (no more than a few years old) when in fact some older ones, especially ones that still showed the green paint were 15-20 years old at the time, unlike Sesame Street which never showed an episode more than a year old at the time, even though many of the "commercial" segments also dated back to the same early 1970s period. The same with some songs from the 1960s/early 1970s since I felt that not needing synthesizers was how some singers preferred it and just fit in with the then-current and recent songs, given that many were also used in TV commercials. Sure, I never get anything like this today, but do any of you have similar myths regarding what you saw? For example, how many of you thought that Judy Garland was alive when you first saw the Wizard of Oz on TV as a kid back in the '70s/'80s/'90s? Or believed in the "Elvis is Alive" gag that was floating around?

Subject: Re: Growing up, what songs/movies/shows did you feel weren't vintage but recent?

Written By: DisneysRetro on 11/24/19 at 8:50 pm

Full house

Subject: Re: Growing up, what songs/movies/shows did you feel weren't vintage but recent?

Written By: annimal on 11/24/19 at 9:07 pm

there's lots of songs and stuff I knew and know, but didn't know were done by someone in the 50's or something

Written By: rapplepop on 12/13/19 at 9:17 pm

I don't think I really differentiated or knew what was new and what was old when I was a kid. I just liked stuff how it was. So basically everything I watched.

Written By: annimal on 12/14/19 at 3:01 pm

I didn't know what was old or new when I was a kid either

Written By: wagonman76 on 12/16/19 at 9:39 pm

Can't say for shows or movies but songs.

Many late 70s/early 80s yacht rock songs to me sounded way ahead of their time.

I first heard "Dream Weaver" in high school and thought it was from the late 80s, certainly not 1975.

Same with "Bohemian Rhapsody" I first heard in high school when it came out for Wayne's World.  Had no idea it was originally from 1975, let alone Freddie Mercury being gone.

Funny both happen to be from Wayne's World.  I don't think I even watched the movie, just the skit on SNL.

Written By: meesa on 12/21/19 at 6:41 pm

Gone with the Wind. It did not occur to me how old it was when I watched it as a child in the 70s, as my Grandma was my 'narrator' and spoke about the actors in the present tense.  :)

MASH TV show, another one that was old when I watched it, but because it went on so long I was watching the first season when the last was still going.

Check for new replies or respond here...