inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What’s the best nickname for Generation Z?

Written By: duenas8 on 12/22/19 at 4:06 am

Z

Subject: Re: What’s the best nickname for Generation Z?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/22/19 at 9:15 am

iGen gets my vote. "Gen Z"  was just a meaningless placeholder, I'm surprised it's stuck around this long.The equally meaningless "Gen Y" was quickly replaced by the more descriptive "Millennial". "Gen X" was SUPPOSED to be Gen X because it described the emerging generation who, at the time, were in the shadow of the still very active and somewhat overpowering Boomers. Early on they were called "the lost generation" or "the invisible generation". So the "X", as in mysterious, unknown, the "x" factor came into play and was appropriate. "Gen Z" has got to go. Just "lettering" the generations has no meaning or purpose if it is not descriptive. "Gen A1" "Gen B2" etc. What's the point? The Gen Y and Z names simply stem front he fact that there was a Gen X, which was descriptive. Y and Z are not. It was not meant to be an ongoing thing.

Written By: violet_shy on 12/22/19 at 11:29 am

Something beautiful.

Generation Z-Light
Generation Oasis
Generation Zuliny

If I come up with more I will post them!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/22/19 at 12:18 pm

Something beautiful.

Generation Z-Light
Generation Oasis
Generation Zuliny

If I come up with more I will post them!

Those are sweet, but they don't have any meaning in relation to the generation it is describing. What does an oasis have to do with a group born starting roughly in 1995? And "Z-Light" might as well be "Generation Z". They equally have no meaning. The name really should be quantitative and qualitative.

Written By: violet_shy on 12/22/19 at 3:48 pm

Those are sweet, but they don't have any meaning in relation to the generation it is describing. What does an oasis have to do with a group born starting roughly in 1995? And "Z-Light" might as well be "Generation Z". They equally have no meaning. The name really should be quantitative and qualitative.

When I think of this generation I think of an oasis because that's what the future looks like. And same with the other ones I chose. To me they have meaning. But why should there be a meaning? It should be fun.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/22/19 at 4:07 pm

When I think of this generation I think of an oasis because that's what the future looks like. And same with the other ones I chose. To me they have meaning. But why should there be a meaning? It should be fun.

There's nothing "fun" about it. It's factual. They have to have meaning otherwise it is pointless. The Boomers are called that because there was a BOOM of births between 1944 and 1963. The Millennials were born around the millennium. And so on.  If we just assign random and meaningless names, who would know what generation is what? "Generation Pink", "Generation Aqua", "Generation Bunny Rabbit". They're fun, they're colorful, but how does it denote/describe the generation? I'm all for fun and artistic expression, but some things must be systematic.

Written By: violet_shy on 12/22/19 at 6:19 pm

There's nothing "fun" about it. It's factual. They have to have meaning otherwise it is pointless. The Boomers are called that because there was a BOOM of births between 1944 and 1963. The Millennials were born around the millennium. And so on.  If we just assign random and meaningless names, who would know what generation is what? "Generation Pink", "Generation Aqua", "Generation Bunny Rabbit". They're fun, they're colorful, but how does it denote/describe the generation? I'm all for fun and artistic expression, but some things must be systematic.

Ok! I get it. Thanks for explaining it better.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/22/19 at 6:43 pm

Ok! I get it. Thanks for explaining it better.

You're welcome. But just because I make sense doesn't mean anybody will listen to me.  ;)  :)

Written By: 2001 on 12/22/19 at 9:17 pm

I call them #iGen (the hashtag is pronounced).

Written By: mqg96 on 12/23/19 at 6:30 pm

"Zoomer" is my favorite!

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/23/19 at 8:21 pm

I call them #iGen (the hashtag is pronounced).

ew

Written By: 2001 on 12/24/19 at 7:57 am

iGen gets my vote. "Gen Z"  was just a meaningless placeholder, I'm surprised it's stuck around this long.The equally meaningless "Gen Y" was quickly replaced by the more descriptive "Millennial". "Gen X" was SUPPOSED to be Gen X because it described the emerging generation who, at the time, were in the shadow of the still very active and somewhat overpowering Boomers. Early on they were called "the lost generation" or "the invisible generation". So the "X", as in mysterious, unknown, the "x" factor came into play and was appropriate. "Gen Z" has got to go. Just "lettering" the generations has no meaning or purpose if it is not descriptive. "Gen A1" "Gen B2" etc. What's the point? The Gen Y and Z names simply stem front he fact that there was a Gen X, which was descriptive. Y and Z are not. It was not meant to be an ongoing thing.

The problem with iGen is that the next generation will be called jGen.

Written By: 2001 on 12/24/19 at 7:57 am

"Zoomer" is my favorite!

OK Zoomer

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/24/19 at 11:53 am

OK Zoomer

Ok millennial

Written By: 2001 on 12/24/19 at 9:51 pm

Ok millennial

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_1600/l3duzjuv7p97pzm2enou.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/25/19 at 3:41 pm

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_1600/l3duzjuv7p97pzm2enou.jpg

Are we supposed to infer from this utterly idiotic depiction that Boomers are RESPONSIBLE for Vietnam? For Watergate? Rather than the generation that came before? The so-called "Greatest Generation"? The WARMONGER generation that sent over 50,000 young men (and some women), young Boomers all, to the SLAUGHTER in Vietnam?  I take umbrage at this. If people are going to poke at Boomers at least be accurate for heaven's sake.

Written By: 2001 on 12/25/19 at 8:41 pm

Are we supposed to infer from this utterly idiotic depiction that Boomers are RESPONSIBLE for Vietnam? For Watergate? Rather than the generation that came before? The so-called "Greatest Generation"? The WARMONGER generation that sent over 50,000 young men (and some women), young Boomers all, to the SLAUGHTER in Vietnam?  I take umbrage at this. If people are going to poke at Boomers at least be accurate for heaven's sake.

It's from The Onion (a satirical news website)

Written By: imrane on 12/30/19 at 8:04 am

Trappers or trappas
In French-speaking countries Les Djadjas

Written By: 2001 on 12/30/19 at 1:50 pm

Trappers or trappas
In French-speaking countries Les Djadjas

Well, I certainly want to commend the creativity :o I will call them trappers from now on.

Written By: piecesof93 on 12/30/19 at 6:44 pm

I like Zoomers because its catchy.

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/30/19 at 11:27 pm

I like Zoomers because its catchy.

I'm fine with zoomers for now but I feel like it's just a copy of boomers. And it's gonna be weird in the future when future kids start saying "Ok zoomer"  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/20 at 1:36 pm

What do you guys think of Generation Anxiety?

Written By: Sman12 on 01/22/20 at 6:41 am

Considering that I was born with an anxiety disorder, I wouldn't be surprised if most of us Zoomers are anxious and depressed. Hell, we make memes about it.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/22/20 at 8:00 am

No.

Check for new replies or respond here...