inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it hard to get nostalgic over the "9" years?

Written By: temaichi on 01/13/20 at 10:22 am

1979,1989,1999,2009, 2019 etc.

Are they forgotten?
Do people really look back and get nostalgic over the last year of a decade? Let me know.

Subject: Re: Is it hard to get nostalgic over the "9" years?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 10:36 am

I have fond memories for all of the listed years, especially 1979.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/13/20 at 11:38 am

I do remember a little from 1979. 1989 and 1999 were great for me. Loved the pop culture of 1989.

Written By: temaichi on 01/13/20 at 2:13 pm

I have fond memories for all of the listed years, especially 1979.

Why is that? Were you active in your early twenties?

Written By: temaichi on 01/13/20 at 2:14 pm

I do remember a little from 1979. 1989 and 1999 were great for me. Loved the pop culture of 1989.

I loved the pop culture of 1999. Can you educate me on why 1989 was the most special for you?

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/13/20 at 2:14 pm

What a stupid topic. I miss 2009 with all my heart.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 2:14 pm

Why is that? Were you active in your early twenties?
Oh yes indeed, not going into major details, I was at the prime of my life.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/13/20 at 2:15 pm

Summer of 69

Written By: temaichi on 01/13/20 at 2:17 pm

What a stupid topic. I miss 2009 with all my heart.

I miss 2009 too! It was my first time seeing a decade wrapped up.
One of the best Summers of my life aswell. ::)

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/13/20 at 2:19 pm

I miss 2009 too! It was my first time seeing a decade wrapped up.
One of the best Summers of my life aswell. ::)

Sorry for saying it was stupid. Can we kiss?

Written By: temaichi on 01/13/20 at 2:20 pm

My teacher from my current college started a punk band that same year.
Were you interested in punk music? That was the year when it peaked before disco came along right?

Written By: temaichi on 01/13/20 at 2:22 pm

Sorry for saying it was stupid. Can we kiss?

Funny one man ;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 2:22 pm

My teacher from my current college started a punk band that same year.
Were you interested in punk music? That was the year when it peaked before disco came along right?
Under the circumstances of having no proper television at that time, I missed out on punk music, but was certainly aware of disco.

Written By: temaichi on 01/13/20 at 2:31 pm

Under the circumstances of having no proper television at that time, I missed out on punk music, but was certainly aware of disco.

Exiting transition that was. Well, i missed out on both! ;D (crying on the inside)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 2:34 pm

Exiting transition that was. Well, i missed out on both! ;D (crying on the inside)
I saw "Saturday Night Fever" and fell asleep during it...

Written By: temaichi on 01/13/20 at 2:46 pm

I saw "Saturday Night Fever" and fell asleep during it...

Why? Was it boring to you?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 2:47 pm

Why? Was it boring to you?
Too much talking and swearing which seem unnecessary, and I was expecting more of the music...

Written By: Howard on 01/13/20 at 3:58 pm

Are they forgotten?
Do people really look back and get nostalgic over the last year of a decade? Let me know.

I was too young to remember 1979 but I can remember stuff after 1989.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/14/20 at 12:00 am

I loved the pop culture of 1999. Can you educate me on why 1989 was the most special for you?

I was 13, got my first Walkman (which recorded too), and really got into my own music.  Fine Young Cannibals was my first tape.  Other favorites were Paula Abdul, Expose, Richard Marx, Gloria Estefan, Roxette.  I made several mixtapes.  Attached are a couple which I just pulled from my basement, yes I still have all my music history.  I listened to Casey's Top 40 every Sunday morning even though it was torture getting up that early on a weekend.  Shadoe Steven's version in the evening just wasn't the same.  It was my favorite era in music to this day.

TV was great, lots of family oriented sitcoms such as Growing Pains, Who's The Boss, Wonder Years, Roseanne, My Two Dads, Perfect Strangers, Family Matters (before Urkel took over the show).

I went through a lot of changes that year.  Changed my hair and got away from the church boy cut that was all I knew before, shocked everyone at school.  Got new clothes, glasses, retainer to straighten my teeth.  We also did more as a family that year than anytime before or after.  Niagara Falls, Mackinac Island, camping at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park.  It was the last year we would do algebra longhand at school before the graphing calculator took over, and even though I became a top programmer of the calculators, it would never be the same.

80s fashion was still in full force.  80s car styles were as well.  I currently own two 1989 cars, one of them being a beautiful station wagon which was very popular back then.  Many baby boomers these days find old muscle cars from their childhood.  I've got a classic car from my childhood as well.

Written By: fusefan on 01/15/20 at 10:25 pm

The only “9” year I’m nostalgic for is 1999. Despite my parents getting divorced that year it was the better for them. I was into all the fads that year Beanie Babies, Pokémon cards, Yo-Yos, etc I loved the big 3 kids channels Nickelodeon, Disney and Cartoon Network. I was also into Kids WB shows (mainly Pokémon) PBS kids shows (Arthur and Zoom) and wrestling. I was more into WCW than WWF back then, in fact the wrestler Sting’s grandma was a neighbor of mine and I got see family pictures of him without his makeup on. And teen pop, alt rock, euro dance, and swing revival songs on the radio. And I just remember the optimism and good vibes people had because we were going into a new millennium.

As for 2009, I was in a bad mood most that year.  And my only good memories was hanging out at my friend’s house and tagging along with my cousin on a couple of his Amateur storm chasing trips.

And for 2019: I’d like to forget that year ever happened. (mostly for personal reasons not because of pop culture.)

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/20 at 6:43 am

The '9' years are usually my favourite, actually. I liked 1999, 2009, and 2019.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/16/20 at 6:52 am

2009 was the worst year of the 2000's pop culturally (with the exception of Barack Obama being inaugurated as president of the United States). With that being said, 2019 wasn't much better either, but I still prefer 2019 over 2009 pop culturally overall, it definitely was lackluster compared to most 2010's years but still better than 2009, and I know many will disagree on here. I know 1999 was probably the best "9" year pop culturally in the last 40 years, but sadly I was born barely too late to experience it  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/20 at 7:07 am

Are they forgotten?
1969 was a good year too, personally I went to my higher school them, and there was the moon landings.

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/20 at 9:01 am

2009 was the worst year of the 2000's pop culturally (with the exception of Barack Obama being inaugurated as president of the United States). With that being said, 2019 wasn't much better either, but I still prefer 2019 over 2009 pop culturally overall, it definitely was lackluster compared to most 2010's years but still better than 2009, and I know many will disagree on here. I know 1999 was probably the best "9" year pop culturally in the last 40 years, but sadly I was born barely too late to experience it  :-\\

2009 was the best year for pop culture ever.

For K-Pop.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/16/20 at 10:44 am

I wouldn't call myself "nostalgic" over it, but I have some very distinct memories of 1979.  It was its own year for sure.

Among the "newsworthy" things that happened that year, all of which I remember coverage of: the Iran hostage crisis, the herpes STD epidemic, the "Disco Demolition" event, and the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant accident.

Personally, I was a student at University (of Michigan) - struggling, I might add.  I came home to a new house (my parents moved over the prior year) and I had a summer job that my aunt helped me get - a very unpleasant job, but it led to something better over the next year (an odd story; I won't elaborate).  The pocket money allowed me to buy my first stereo (that wasn't "hand-me-down").  I was continuing to collect 60's Motown records at the time.  Disco was still king, and I was still a party animal.  My growing concern about the state of Disco music and how it seemingly "took over the world" was confirmed during the "Disco Demolition" summer event.  I noticed a lot of changes in women's fashion and all the new trends (something I paid a lot of attention to) - incidentally, bell-bottoms and platform shoes were out for women by '79 (not that they weren't worn, they just were no longer "hot").  As for social life, it seems that's the year I had an unending stream of boyfriends - though I settled on one boyfriend after returning to school in the fall.  That, and chasing away one "neighborhood guy" who decided I should be his girlfriend without consulting me...  ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/16/20 at 11:36 am

With all due respect, this is a rather questionable question. I had to wonder for a minute if it was a trolling question. Assuming it is legit, I will proceed. Without even mentioning what went on, 1969 was such an important year that entire books have been written about it, documentaries and TV shows have been made, and college courses are taught on it. It was one of the single most important years of the 20th Century. As mentioned in other posts, 1979 was a most important year, all unto itself. I have put forth my theory here before that the ideals of the 60s actually came true for a certain period, the Jimmy Carter years of 1976-ish-1979.  There was no war, we had a president who openly called himself a "pacifist" and the times seemed open like never before. The only problem was, NOBODY NOTICED. People were cocooning themselves with disco, cocaine, etc. As for 1989, it seemed like a light was finally breaking through after the shallowness, the materialism and greed, the MTV-ness of the 80s. Some of the great 1960s and 70s artists who found themselves adrift in the 80s really rallied and made great albums, such as Bob Dylan with "Oh Mercy" and Neil Young with "Freedom".

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/16/20 at 12:00 pm

I wouldn't call myself "nostalgic" over it, but I have some very distinct memories of 1979.  It was its own year for sure.

incidentally, bell-bottoms and platform shoes were out for women by '79 (not that they weren't worn, they just were no longer "hot"). 

The funny thing about bell bottoms, it's ALL anybody wore from about 1969 to 1979 (I know lots of people were wearing bell bottoms BEFORE 1969. Since maybe about 1964, but I'm saying 1969 was the year when finally EVERY SINGLE PERSON I knew on Earth was wearing them, including older, conservative men who had previously resisted. Maybe because by that point you just couldn't get anything else). We LOVED them. But when they vanished, they vanished overnight. 1979 was the pivotal year. By 1980 they were gone. Disco was on it's final legs by then and by then the disco people were the last people wearing them.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/16/20 at 7:02 pm

1989 was the most transitional, difficult, and exciting year of my life.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/17/20 at 4:49 pm

Bruh.... nah. 2008 was the worst because it seemed like the 2000s had run its course by that point. 2009 felt fresh, new and exciting.

Obama as POTUS, electro pop, blackberries, PS3, Facebook overtaking MySpace, etc. etc.

Music alone just made 2009 legendary af. Jay Z’s The BluePrint 3 is one of the greatest rap albums of all time (and a perfect culmination of the peak of his career in the 90s and 00s). You also had one of the most dope collaborations for a single of all time, that being Forever. On top of that, the year ended of with Shots by LMFAO, Bad Romance by Lady Gaga, and I Got a Feeling by The Black Eyed Pees.

I could go on and on about how great of a year 2009 was; from movies, tv, video games, sports (Yankees winning the World Series in 2009 was a GREAT way to end the decade of turmoil that rocked NYC), but I’d be here all day. Maybe I’ll come back and relish in the glory, who knows.

But overall, 2009 was simply legendary 8).

Written By: Sman12 on 01/22/20 at 6:16 am

Bruh.... nah. 2008 was the worst because it seemed like the 2000s had run its course by that point. 2009 felt fresh, new and exciting.

Obama as POTUS, electro pop, blackberries, PS3, Facebook overtaking MySpace, etc. etc.

Music alone just made 2009 legendary af. Jay Z’s The BluePrint 3 is one of the greatest rap albums of all time (and a perfect culmination of the peak of his career in the 90s and 00s). You also had one of the most dope collaborations for a single of all time, that being Forever. On top of that, the year ended of with Shots by LMFAO, Bad Romance by Lady Gaga, and I Got a Feeling by The Black Eyed Pees.

I could go on and on about how great of a year 2009 was; from movies, tv, video games, sports (Yankees winning the World Series in 2009 was a GREAT way to end the decade of turmoil that rocked NYC), but I’d be here all day. Maybe I’ll come back and relish in the glory, who knows.

But overall, 2009 was simply legendary 8).

In retrospect, I disliked 2009 based on how weak it was. Cartoons on TV were at an all-time drought (per things like CN Real), technology was gimmicky or uninteresting like the PSP Go and 3DTVs (thanks Avatar), and I hated the Black Eyed Peas' reign on the charts with "I Got a Feeling" and ESPECIALLY "Boom Boom Pow". Both are insufferable songs to me. Their songs from their Elephunk album are way better imo ("Let's Get It Started" and "Where Is The Love?"). I never really liked most mainstream music that came out that year (except for artists like Lady Gaga, Lil Wayne, and T.I.), and the death of Michael Jackson was also a downer for me.

Now 2009 did have great movies. Up and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs are some of my favorite movies ever. Others like Coraline, Inglorious Basterds, Precious, and Fantastic Mr. Fox also had critical acclaim. 

I also do really like MW2, Minecraft (back then it was at its alpha stage), Borderlands, Arkham Asylum, and Left 4 Dead 2. But most other video games were either shovelwares or mobile apps (not really a bad thing, but they showed a lack of AAA console video game titles that year).

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/28/20 at 8:57 am

What makes you think that? Just curious.

Written By: temaichi on 02/13/20 at 3:37 pm

I was 13, got my first Walkman (which recorded too), and really got into my own music.  Fine Young Cannibals was my first tape.  Other favorites were Paula Abdul, Expose, Richard Marx, Gloria Estefan, Roxette.  I made several mixtapes.  Attached are a couple which I just pulled from my basement, yes I still have all my music history.  I listened to Casey's Top 40 every Sunday morning even though it was torture getting up that early on a weekend.  Shadoe Steven's version in the evening just wasn't the same.  It was my favorite era in music to this day.

TV was great, lots of family oriented sitcoms such as Growing Pains, Who's The Boss, Wonder Years, Roseanne, My Two Dads, Perfect Strangers, Family Matters (before Urkel took over the show).

I went through a lot of changes that year.  Changed my hair and got away from the church boy cut that was all I knew before, shocked everyone at school.  Got new clothes, glasses, retainer to straighten my teeth.  We also did more as a family that year than anytime before or after.  Niagara Falls, Mackinac Island, camping at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park.  It was the last year we would do algebra longhand at school before the graphing calculator took over, and even though I became a top programmer of the calculators, it would never be the same.

80s fashion was still in full force.  80s car styles were as well.  I currently own two 1989 cars, one of them being a beautiful station wagon which was very popular back then.  Many baby boomers these days find old muscle cars from their childhood.  I've got a classic car from my childhood as well.

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting to read and gave me an idea of the times back then. :)

Written By: temaichi on 02/13/20 at 3:44 pm

What makes you think that? Just curious.

Alot of people tend to get nostalgic over the early years of a decade which is understandable because it is a fresh start.
I do not hear alot of nostalgia about some last year of a decade. I feel like it is forgotten most of the time which is sad because to me that is always a special year and should be celebrated and remembered for what it was. It should be remembered as a conclusion! (Not only as a year but, for a decade too!)

Check for new replies or respond here...