inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First website you went to when you first had access to the internet?

Written By: violet_shy on 02/02/20 at 12:08 am

I don't know if you all can remember that.

I do actually. And the first time I had any access to my own internet was in 2001. First website I went to was a Thomas Kinkade page. It is no longer up so I can't post the link. I used the internet in 1997, but I couldn't visit any sites because it was computer class in school. It was still exciting!!

Subject: Re: First website you went to when you first had access to the internet?

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/02/20 at 12:39 am

Hmmm my first internet access was in college in the computer room in 1994.  First thing I looked up was either a page on the 80s or a page on beavis and butthead.

I got my first home computer and internet access in 1997. First place I went was to the freeway chat room. Freeway was the primary isp for northern Michigan and they had a chat room that tons of locals used. Along with a few distant folks. A very barebones text only room. Sometimes they had monthly meets and I went to a few. I talked to and met a lot of people from that room during those 2 years. Every night at 3am they would dump all chat history and like matchbox 20 at the time we would say it’s 3am I must be lonely. After an inappropriate relationship happened in 1999 they shut the room down. I miss it.

Subject: Re: First website you went to when you first had access to the internet?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/02/20 at 8:51 am

I first had access to the internet in 1996. I honestly can't remember the first website I went to, but I'm sure it had something to do with music.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/02/20 at 1:48 pm

Disney, Shockwave, Yahoo, Cartoon Network, Planet Hot Wheels, etc. were some of the earliest websites I started browsing the moment we switched from Windows 98 to Windows XP around late 2001/early 2002. I never went to Google back then. I learned to type in the web address straight in right after opening Internet Explorer. When I was that young of an age, I had a curfew. I could only be on the computer for an hour, and I had to choose between a CD-ROM game or spending time on the web, and I learned to use that time pretty wisely.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 02/02/20 at 5:30 pm

2002, Nickelodeon.com/Disneychannel.com.

Written By: nally on 02/02/20 at 6:36 pm

I think the very first time I had actual access to the internet was in spring of 1998, when I was a senior in high school. It was probably the homepage for my school... which made sense, being on a computer at school. (We weren't online at home yet.)

Later in 1998, as I began college, I used the computers over there; and clicking on the browser icon brought me to the homepage for that college. Then the first website I went to from there may have been Yahoo. It was the only one I really knew, from having heard about it. It was a good site back then.

Written By: 2001 on 02/03/20 at 5:46 am

Yahoo! Games circa 1998

Written By: karen on 02/03/20 at 5:14 pm

I don't remember what it was called but it was a database of film information. I was doing a mega quiz and was trying to find out the names of the characters in The Maltese Falcon.  A colleague directed me to a website run by some students at Cardiff University (I think).  This was sometime in the very early 90s

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/20 at 1:57 am

I don't remember what it was called but it was a database of film information. I was doing a mega quiz and was trying to find out the names of the characters in The Maltese Falcon.  A colleague directed me to a website run by some students at Cardiff University (I think).  This was sometime in the very early 90s
That was IMDB that started at Cardiff University, I website I was using when I started on the web, and still do so today. Another confirmed website was the site for my e-mails.

Check for new replies or respond here...