inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First website you went to when you first had access to the internet?

Written By: violet_shy on 02/02/20 at 12:08 am

I don't know if you all can remember that.

I do actually. And the first time I had any access to my own internet was in 2001. First website I went to was a Thomas Kinkade page. It is no longer up so I can't post the link. I used the internet in 1997, but I couldn't visit any sites because it was computer class in school. It was still exciting!!

Subject: Re: First website you went to when you first had access to the internet?

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/02/20 at 12:39 am

Hmmm my first internet access was in college in the computer room in 1994.  First thing I looked up was either a page on the 80s or a page on beavis and butthead.

I got my first home computer and internet access in 1997. First place I went was to the freeway chat room. Freeway was the primary isp for northern Michigan and they had a chat room that tons of locals used. Along with a few distant folks. A very barebones text only room. Sometimes they had monthly meets and I went to a few. I talked to and met a lot of people from that room during those 2 years. Every night at 3am they would dump all chat history and like matchbox 20 at the time we would say it’s 3am I must be lonely. After an inappropriate relationship happened in 1999 they shut the room down. I miss it.

Subject: Re: First website you went to when you first had access to the internet?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/02/20 at 8:51 am

I first had access to the internet in 1996. I honestly can't remember the first website I went to, but I'm sure it had something to do with music.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/02/20 at 1:48 pm

Disney, Shockwave, Yahoo, Cartoon Network, Planet Hot Wheels, etc. were some of the earliest websites I started browsing the moment we switched from Windows 98 to Windows XP around late 2001/early 2002. I never went to Google back then. I learned to type in the web address straight in right after opening Internet Explorer. When I was that young of an age, I had a curfew. I could only be on the computer for an hour, and I had to choose between a CD-ROM game or spending time on the web, and I learned to use that time pretty wisely.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 02/02/20 at 5:30 pm

2002, Nickelodeon.com/Disneychannel.com.

Written By: nally on 02/02/20 at 6:36 pm

I think the very first time I had actual access to the internet was in spring of 1998, when I was a senior in high school. It was probably the homepage for my school... which made sense, being on a computer at school. (We weren't online at home yet.)

Later in 1998, as I began college, I used the computers over there; and clicking on the browser icon brought me to the homepage for that college. Then the first website I went to from there may have been Yahoo. It was the only one I really knew, from having heard about it. It was a good site back then.

Written By: 2001 on 02/03/20 at 5:46 am

Yahoo! Games circa 1998

Written By: karen on 02/03/20 at 5:14 pm

I don't remember what it was called but it was a database of film information. I was doing a mega quiz and was trying to find out the names of the characters in The Maltese Falcon.  A colleague directed me to a website run by some students at Cardiff University (I think).  This was sometime in the very early 90s

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/20 at 1:57 am

I don't remember what it was called but it was a database of film information. I was doing a mega quiz and was trying to find out the names of the characters in The Maltese Falcon.  A colleague directed me to a website run by some students at Cardiff University (I think).  This was sometime in the very early 90s
That was IMDB that started at Cardiff University, I website I was using when I started on the web, and still do so today. Another confirmed website was the site for my e-mails.

Written By: karen on 02/06/20 at 11:49 am

That was IMDB that started at Cardiff University, I website I was using when I started on the web, and still do so today. Another confirmed website was the site for my e-mails.

cool - I often wonder if the site I used became IMDB or was totally unrelated.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/06/20 at 1:20 pm

Yahoo, where I would search the directories for humor pages people made. It was also fun for games like collapse.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/06/20 at 1:30 pm

Does anyone remember playing Solitare on Windows?

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/06/20 at 2:36 pm

Yes I did all the time. Freecell and minesweeper too.

I played solitaire in high school on the old monochrome blue screen Apple computers. It was called Klondike and when the cards dealt it played a midi clip simulating the intro to The Entertainer.

Written By: nally on 02/06/20 at 6:04 pm

Yes. All the time.

I also played those games when I first got access to the Windows operating systems family.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/06/20 at 6:08 pm

And there was Spider Solitare.

Written By: nally on 02/06/20 at 7:18 pm

I must also add, that when I first got acquainted with Freecell, in August of 1998, I wasn't quite sure how to play it, but when I read the rules I realized it was very similar to "Klondike" solitaire in that you had to alternate red and black cards on the columns and eventually pile all the cards by suit up at the top.

Then I started keeping track of which numbered deals I won. My ultimate goal was to win them all, but eventually I found a website about Freecell, with solutions to some of the very difficult deals (and difficulty levels on them)... and it stated that number 11982 was impossible to win no matter what (and that being said, I will NEVER attempt to solve it).

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/06/20 at 8:50 pm

I must also add, that when I first got acquainted with Freecell, in August of 1998, I wasn't quite sure how to play it, but when I read the rules I realized it was very similar to "Klondike" solitaire in that you had to alternate red and black cards on the columns and eventually pile all the cards by suit up at the top.

Then I started keeping track of which numbered deals I won. My ultimate goal was to win them all, but eventually I found a website about Freecell, with solutions to some of the very difficult deals (and difficulty levels on them)... and it stated that number 11982 was impossible to win no matter what (and that being said, I will NEVER attempt to solve it).

I always figured every freecell game was winnable. I also had to be in the right frame of mind to win it. When recovering from surgery just over a year ago I was winning 70-80%. Once I started feeling better and doing an engine swap in the garage I couldn’t top 50% when I would lay in bed and play.

Written By: nally on 06/09/20 at 11:02 am

Yahoo, where I would search the directories for humor pages people made. It was also fun for games like collapse.

I first got acquainted with the "Collapse" game in the early 2000s, on websites that you could play puzzle games like those. During my spare time as an undergrad student at CSU Northridge I would go to such sites, particularly during my first year or two there. But I would often end up spending too much time on those games.

Written By: goodbants on 06/09/20 at 11:05 am

I’ve been on the Internet ever since I was a little kid. I used to spend a lot of time on willywonka.com, clubpenguin.com, and webkinz.com

Written By: nally on 06/09/20 at 11:07 am

If the internet had been around in the early 1980s (when I was a little kid), I probably wouldn't have used it. I had better things to play with.

Written By: goodbants on 06/09/20 at 11:10 am

If the internet had been around in the early 1980s (when I was a little kid), I probably wouldn't have used it. I had better things to play with.

You say that, but is it true? How would you ever know if you didn’t grow up in the 21st century?

Written By: nally on 06/09/20 at 11:11 am

You say that, but is it true? How would you ever know if you didn’t grow up in the 21st century?

You obviously grew up in a different time period than me.

Written By: goodbants on 06/09/20 at 11:13 am

You obviously grew up in a different time period than me.

Yea that’s what I’m saying. You never know how different your life would be if you grew up in a different time period.

Written By: Howard on 06/09/20 at 3:17 pm

My parents might have used it during the early 1980's.

Written By: nally on 06/09/20 at 3:19 pm

Mine probably would've done so as well, had it been around.

Of course, when I got old enough to be computer literate, things like parental controls would've also come in handy. But the computers back then were rather primitive...and had much less memory available than the ones we have now!

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/09/20 at 9:54 pm

I probably would have been the only one to use it. I was always the one to run the gadgets and stuff. Always the homebody and the one to stay up late. When we got a computer I was the only one to really use it. My sister was always out and about. I’m still helping my dad with his computer with just the basics. Both of them would rather watch tv.

Written By: Howard on 06/10/20 at 5:07 am

I probably would have been the only one to use it. I was always the one to run the gadgets and stuff. Always the homebody and the one to stay up late. When we got a computer I was the only one to really use it. My sister was always out and about. I’m still helping my dad with his computer with just the basics. Both of them would rather watch tv.

We got a computer during The early to mid 1990's.

Check for new replies or respond here...