inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late 80s or Early 90s? Which One was Better?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/23/20 at 6:45 pm

Do you like the late 80s (ALF, Robocop, Growing Pains, Swatches, Nintendo, Who’s the Boss, The Coreys, The Little Mermaid, TMNT cartoon, Batman, Debbie Gibson versus Tiffany) or the early 90s (Saved by the Bell, The Simpsons, Full House, Reebok Pumps, TMNT the movie 1 and 2 Secret of the Ooze, MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice, Batman Returns, haircut cut-outs, SEGA Genesis, Desert Storm) or both? Explain.

Subject: Re: Late 80s or Early 90s? Which One was Better?

Written By: violet_shy on 02/23/20 at 7:18 pm

I LOVE the late 80s...but, I love the early 90s more. The 90s were my decade, so there's a special place in me for them.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/23/20 at 7:35 pm

I LOVE the late 80s...but, I love the early 90s more. The 90s were my decade, so there's a special place in me for them.

The late ‘80s had a lot going on with them (Pee Wee’s Playhouse, The Real Ghostbusters, The Noid, Cosby sweaters, Oliver North, bolo ties, Vision Skate Wear, The California Raisins, Acid Wash Oversized Denim Jackets, Robin Givens scandal, Baby Jessica, and Micro Machines), but the early 90s were the time of the dysfunctional families on the TV (Married… with Children, Roseanne, The Simpsons, and Dinosaurs). I see where you’re coming from. The early 90s were easier to remember.

If you don’t mind me asking, what do you love about the late 80s?

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 02/23/20 at 7:41 pm

Both tie, it's quite a hard choice between the two of them.

For Music. The late 80s were quite a boring time for mainstream music and it seemed like the 80s were becoming stale, Hair Metal, Rock, Teen Pop, Dance Pop and Ballads really defined the late 80s mainstream music. The early 90s were extremely cheesy but, atleast seemed like a new fresh breathe of air at the time with, R&B/New Jack Swing, Hip Hop, House Music, Dance-Pop and Ballads defining the mainstream music at the time.

The movies were a lot better in the late 80s in my opinion (with 1989 being one of the greatest years for movies ever), I'm also a huge fan of 80s movies too. The television however, was much much much better in the early 90s as, the early 90s were actually a bit more interesting with stuff on such as, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Law & Order, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and more. Meanwhile, the late 80s were extremely oversaturated with boring family sitcoms which, mostly seemed so similar to each other (there were a few good/interesting shows, don't get me wrong).

The indoor technology of the two eras were a bit different such as, CD's taking over the music industry (compared with audio cassettes which dominated the mid & late 80s), the death of the type writer, the rise of 16-Bit gaming and a bit more. Overall, tech did not see too much of a big jump between the two eras. The video gaming though, of the early 90s were much better due to 16-Bit technology becoming more mainstream.

The fashion of the two eras was not the best. Not a fan of the fashion from then really. The late 80s were just a toned down 80s and the early 90s were their own thing.

A big thing though, that makes the early 90s better is the political scene. The fall of the Berlin Wall & Soviet Union, along with the ending of the Cold War gave the early 90s a dramatically different feeling compared to the late 80s, things were already looking more optimistic and there was much less paranoia. A lot of my family members describe this well.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/23/20 at 7:51 pm

If you don’t mind me asking, what do you love about the late 80s?

The fashion and music. Fashion was still very 80s but a bit more toned down. And I remember going to my cousin's birthday party in 1989. My outfit was perfect! I still have the blouse which I have kept all these years.  :)

And like I said, I just love the 90s more.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/23/20 at 8:06 pm

TV-Wise: Tie
Music-wise: Early 90s
Toy-wise: Late 80s
Movie-wise: Late 80s
Political-wise: Early 90s
Book-wise: Early 90s
Game-wise (Board, Card,and Video Games): Early 90s

Check for new replies or respond here...