inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Decade

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/06/20 at 6:50 pm

Does anyone on here hate the word ‘decade’? I do not like to label or compartmentalize things, so I prefer to use the words ‘time period’ or ‘age’ to describe the time we’re living in whether than blindly measuring time. It’s too simple to call every age a ‘decade’. What if there are ages that aren’t decades? Is there anyone on here other than me who does not use the word ‘decade’?

Subject: Re: Decade

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/07/20 at 7:13 am

Does anyone on here hate the word ‘decade’? I do not like to label or compartmentalize things, so I prefer to use the words ‘time period’ or ‘age’ to describe the time we’re living in whether than blindly measuring time. It’s too simple to call every age a ‘decade’. What if there are ages that aren’t decades? Is there anyone on here other than me who does not use the word ‘decade’?

I typically use the word decade to describe a period of 10 consecutive years, regardless of when those years happened. When referring to pop culture or anything else that described a time, I like to say era.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/07/20 at 8:01 am

I feel like people use the term ‘decade’ because other people before them have used ‘decade’. Basically, people who say every time period is a ‘decade’ is a conformist.

https://i1.wp.com/teeminus24.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Dont_Be_Sheep_sharper.jpg?fit=1200%2C800&ssl=1

Written By: violet_shy on 03/07/20 at 4:24 pm

I use all of the terms, "decade" "time period" "era".

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/10/20 at 6:38 pm

I use all of the terms, "decade" "time period" "era".

Era is fine, but how can people say every time period is a period of 10 years?  :o

The people that say every age is a period of 10 years are thinking in absolutes. That’s never a good idea.

Check for new replies or respond here...