inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Memorable Zeitgeists

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/10/20 at 7:59 pm

Which time periods had the most memorable zeitgeists?

Here’s the ones I can come up with:

-1980s: Very early 80s (time of Star Wars, Saturday Night Live, KISS, and Farrah Fawcett)

-1990s: Early 90s (time of Paula Abdul, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Super Mario Brothers, Jumpman, the new Batman, and Batman copycats)

-2000s: Y2K era (time of South Park, Britney Spears, Austin Powers, and Pokèmon)

-2010s: Early 2010s (the time of Angry Birds, Breaking Bad, The Twilight Saga, and Justin Bieber)

Subject: Re: Memorable Zeitgeists

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/20 at 9:27 am

Which time periods had the most memorable zeitgeists?

Here’s the ones I can come up with:

-1980s: Very early 80s (time of Star Wars, Saturday Night Live, KISS, and Farrah Fawcett)

-1990s: Early 90s (time of Paula Abdul, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Super Mario Brothers, Jumpman, the new Batman, and Batman copycats)

-2000s: Y2K era (time of South Park, Britney Spears, Austin Powers, and Pokèmon)

-2010s: Early 2010s (the time of Angry Birds, Breaking Bad, The Twilight Saga, and Justin Bieber)

Star Wars for me was back in 1977.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/15/20 at 9:29 am

Star Wars for me was back in 1977.

Star Wars mania was still happening in early 1978.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/20 at 9:41 am

Star Wars mania was still happening in early 1978.
Back in 1977, in the UK, due to my work position I saw Star Wars three times before it opened at Christmas that year and it's general release in January 1978. The expectation was high with cinema goers from the premier release in the US in May 1977, and it was notice that many of the viewers were watching the film repeatedly. It was noticed by us staff, what is this Episode IV: A New Hope all about in the title, we were asking what about the first three episodes.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/15/20 at 3:22 pm

Back in 1977, in the UK, due to my work position I saw Star Wars three times before it opened at Christmas that year and it's general release in January 1978. The expectation was high with cinema goers from the premier release in the US in May 1977, and it was notice that many of the viewers were watching the film repeatedly. It was noticed by us staff, what is this Episode IV: A New Hope all about in the title, we were asking what about the first three episodes.

There was a Star Wars Holiday Special over here in late 1978, but the electronic game Simon was the most wanted item of the year.

What was a part of the zeitgeist of your favorite decade?

Check for new replies or respond here...