inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Years Ending In “7”

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/26/20 at 9:55 pm

Has anybody noticed the girl power that seems to be emanated by female singers in the years ending in “7”?

Here’s what I mean:

1987: Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, Sabrina, Whitney Houston, Belinda Carlisle, and Elissa Fiorillo

1997: Lilith Fair, Spice Girls, Fiona Apple, and Natalie Imbruglia

2007: Fergie, Rihanna, Pink, and Alicia Keys

2017: Taylor Swift, Camila Cabello, Alessia Cara, and Cardi Blurrrr B

Subject: Re: The Years Ending In “7”

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/26/20 at 10:04 pm

Nope, I think girl power can be found in any year.

However every year ending in 7 , also starting with 1987, is the year of the Michigan Dogman.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/26/20 at 10:12 pm

Nope, I think girl power can be found in any year.

However every year ending in 7 , also starting with 1987, is the year of the Michigan Dogman.

Where was girl power in 1976?

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/26/20 at 10:31 pm

Donna Summer and Diana Ross at least.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/26/20 at 10:42 pm

1977-Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" #1 album of the year. Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie "Dreams", "Gold Dust Woman" "You Make Lovin Fun", Don't Stop"

1977-Donna Summer-"I Feel Love"

1977-Your Love Has Lifted Me Higher-Rita Coolidge

1977-Nobody Does It better-Carly Simon

1967-"Ode To Billy Joe"-Bobbie Gentry. Singer/songwriter/guitarist/producer. "Girl power" indeed, trite and trivializing phrase though it is.

1967-"To Sir With Love"-Lulu

1967-'Somebody to Love"-Grace Slick/Jefferson Airplane

1967-"Piece of My heart"-Janis Joplin/Big brother & The Holding Company

and so on.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/26/20 at 11:11 pm

Donna Summer and Diana Ross at least.

That’s not enough to go by.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/27/20 at 12:17 am

That’s not enough to go by.

Diana Ross-Love Hangover
Dorothy Moore-Misty Blue
Heart--Ann & Nancy Wilson-Magic Man, Crazy On You
Captain & Tenille-Shop Around, Muskrat Love (sung by Toni Tenille)
Donna Sumner-Love to  Love You Baby
Linda Ronstadt-That'll Be The Day

throw in "Don't Go Breaking My heart" at least 50% of which was sung by Kiki Dee

etc, etc, etc...

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/20 at 1:44 am

I'm pretty sure that's not true for 2017 at least. I distinctly remember there was a week where there were no women in the Billboard top 10 (because I joked about how "this is the Trump cultural shift"). Men also had a 9 month record remaining at the top of the Billboard, which was a record.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7957746/ladies-hot-100-2017-all-time-low

This article doesn't exist anymore but still shows up in Google and is also linked to in the above article. You can tell from the URL what it was about.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/7768087/no-women-hot-100-top-10--first-time-33-years-ask-billboard

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/20 at 2:52 am

Has anybody noticed the girl power that seems to be emanated by female singers in the years ending in “7”?

Here’s what I mean:

1987: Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, Sabrina, Whitney Houston, Belinda Carlisle, and Elissa Fiorillo

1997: Lilith Fair, Spice Girls, Fiona Apple, and Natalie Imbruglia

2007: Fergie, Rihanna, Pink, and Alicia Keys

2017: Taylor Swift, Camila Cabello, Alessia Cara, and Cardi Blurrrr B
For the UK, the Spice Girls started in 1996 and ended with "Spice World" in 1997.

Btw, where is Adele?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/27/20 at 7:27 am

Diana Ross-Love Hangover
Dorothy Moore-Misty Blue
Heart--Ann & Nancy Wilson-Magic Man, Crazy On You
Captain & Tenille-Shop Around, Muskrat Love (sung by Toni Tenille)
Donna Sumner-Love to  Love You Baby
Linda Ronstadt-That'll Be The Day

throw in "Don't Go Breaking My heart" at least 50% of which was sung by Kiki Dee

etc, etc, etc...

It was mainly Boomers listening to that music and not Joneses, early Xers, or late Xers.

For the UK, the Spice Girls started in 1996 and ended with "Spice World" in 1997.

Btw, where is Adele?

I know. I was talking about the Spice Girls when they charted in the US.

Adele did not have any good singles in 2007 or 2017.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/27/20 at 8:12 am

It was mainly Boomers listening to that music and not Joneses, early Xers, or late Xers.

You didn't qualify it that way. Girl Power is Girl Power. Besides, in 1976 there was no such distinction WHATSOEVER. Of course it was Boomers listening to it in 1976. At that point they were still THE target audience for the music business. Be it full Boomers or the so-called subset of "Jones".  The first Gen X's, being born in 1965, would have been 11. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/20 at 9:01 am

You didn't qualify it that way. Girl Power is Girl Power. Besides, in 1976 there was no such distinction WHATSOEVER. Of course it was Boomers listening to it in 1976. At that point they were still THE target audience for the music business. Be it full Boomers or the so-called subset of "Jones".  The first Gen X's, being born in 1965, would have been 11. 
Back in that day the closes thing to Girl Power was Women's Lib?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/20 at 9:06 am

Adele did not have any good singles in 2007 or 2017.
The strange thing is, that Adele (in the UK) her first single "Chasing Pavements" was in 2008 and last hit single "Water Under The Bridge" was in 2016. She has had no hit singles since.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/27/20 at 9:09 am

Back in that day the closes thing to Girl Power was Women's Lib?

Yes but women's liberation/feminism is a legitimate movement, a force to be reckoned with. So called "girl power" is nothing more than a silly slogan. Marketing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/20 at 9:14 am

Yes but women's liberation/feminism is a legitimate movement, a force to be reckoned with. So called "girl power" is nothing more than a silly slogan. Marketing.
O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/20 at 5:54 am

In the UK in 1917. the Speaker's Conference on electoral reform represented all the parties in both houses, and came to the conclusion that women's suffrage was essential, and from 1918–1928, women could vote at 30 with property qualifications or as graduates of UK universities, while men could vote at 21 with no qualification. From 1928 women had equal suffrage with men.

Check for new replies or respond here...