inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Timeless Songs...

Written By: Criz on 03/31/20 at 9:25 am

I was just thinking about this the other day - there are certain songs that get released that don't necessarily sound like the era they were created in and they just sort of blow up because there's nothing else quite like it around. Or  - they feel as if they could have been recorded in so many other time periods - sometime before their time, other times in a state of no time - as it were.

What songs would you say fit into such a category? For me I would say Gnarls Barkley - Crazy, The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition, Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know and Moloko - The Time Is Now really spring to mind as being timeless in this way because they were pretty unique when they were released.

Uptown Funk might possibly fit into the second instance because it sounds like it crosses so many genres and so many time periods, also.

What do we all think?

Subject: Re: Timeless Songs...

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/31/20 at 10:05 am

Both “Somebody That I Used To Know” by Gotye, and “Locked Out Of Heaven” by Bruno Mars sound like 80s Police.

“Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd sounds like something straight out of the 80s.

Going the other direction, I always thought “Dream Weaver” sounded like it could have been made in the 80s too.

Written By: Criz on 03/31/20 at 11:11 am

Both “Somebody That I Used To Know” by Gotye, and “Locked Out Of Heaven” by Bruno Mars sound like 80s Police.

“Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd sounds like something straight out of the 80s.

Going the other direction, I always thought “Dream Weaver” sounded like it could have been made in the 80s too.

Now that you say that about 'Somebody..' I can totally see the "King of Pain' similarities!

Written By: nally on 04/04/20 at 2:21 pm

Now that you say that about 'Somebody..' I can totally see the "King of Pain' similarities!

Now that I think about it, they do have some similarities, especially with chord progressions and things like that.

Written By: Criz on 04/06/20 at 9:43 am

Now that I think about it, they do have some similarities, especially with chord progressions and things like that.

I genuinely never heard the similarity before until it was pointed out!

Check for new replies or respond here...