inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nostalgia is always a bad thing

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/15/20 at 9:09 pm

Before I start this thread, I want to get one thing out of the way.
Nostalgia is not the same as having a fascination or appreciation for the pop cultural or socio-political landscape or aesthetic of a past era, whether you experienced that era or not.
The definition of the word nostalgia, according to Dictionary.com, is "a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time".
This is clearly not the same as finding the music, movies, shows, gaming, technology, politics, economics, fashion trends, etc. of a specific era fascinating, as long as you have no drive or desire to return back to that era, especially if it's of an era you never experienced, as having nostalgia for a time you never experienced is an oxymoron by definition.
While I do love a lot of the music and overall cultural aesthetics of the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s, and even the '10s to a certain degree, I have no desire for the pop cultural and socio-political landscape of today to revert back to the landscape of any previous era, as I prefer to watch the pop cultural and socio-political landscape evolve and go forward, rather than devolve and go back.
I prefer to see future decades defined by new forms of pop culture, new forms of socio-political policy, new technology, a push towards an advanced society that works, or at least tries to work, for everyone. You're not going to get "the future" by "going back to the past", if you know what I mean.

The main problem with nostalgia, a the dictionary defines it, is that in all cases, it is reactionary. Reactionary, just like right wing populism. It is a negative reaction to how the world around you is changing, that the world is changing into something you don't like, that the things you love are being taken away, and therefore, you want to get out of it, and reverse everything back to the way it was, just so you can become comfortable again.
The consequences of this reactionary process range from minor nitpicky issues, such as the whole '90s Kid circlejerk in the late '00s and early '10s which involved communities of young deviants on the internet making multitudes of YouTube rants about how they want TV shows and music to go back to the way they were and gatekeeping younger people from taking part in these circle jerks in an attempt of purification (ie, the '90s Kids Debate), to more major issues, like the rise of right-wing populism in global politics, which panders to many in the public who believe that society has become too politically correct and easily offended, and that we should revert back to the traditional conservative politics of yesterday. (Granted, I don't like neoliberal globalization either, but right wing populism is not the solution, but part of the problem).

The truth is, no matter what you do, no matter if you surround yourself with certain posters, music, games, and movies from a certain era to try to recapture the vibe of when you were younger, or if you vote a bunch of right-wing populist candidates into office in the hopes that their policies will bring back the good old days, the sad truth is, to quote Three Days Grace, ""The world we knew won't come back; The time we've lost can't get back; The life we had won't be ours again".
This is absolutely true. The past stays in the past, all those memories from when you were a child or a teen that you cherish so dearly, you will never experience them again. Maybe in the afterlife, perhaps, but as long as you're a terrestrial being here in this Universe, you will never get to re experience those cherished memories that you yearn so much to go back to again.
Therefore, nostalgia is pointless, because the end-goal of nostalgia is in-achievable. Attempts to recreate the past will either have a saltwater effect of "having you drink more, but always remaining thirsty", or, such as in the case of the right-wing populist movements, it may make a bad situation worse.

I'm sure right now, during this whole COVID pandemic, many of you are experiencing true nostalgia. Not just faux-nostalgia of being fascinated for a previous era, but a true yearning to return to yesteryear.
Do yourself a favor, and just forget about those desires. Yes, eventually, this whole quarantine thing will end, but we are still in for rough times ahead.
But moping around about how you want the past to come back is not going to change any of this, you're just making things worse for yourself.
It's time to grow up, leave the past behind, and focus our attention and energy into improving the future, because unlike the past, the future is actually something of which we will experience. We don't know how this future will shape up, but we will experience it, and therefore, our attention and energy should be focused on it, on a push towards a better world which should work, or try to work, for everybody. A future where our future descendants should never be nostalgic, as they will have no desire to go back to the ways of the past when their present is good enough.
I'm not suggesting this future would be a perfect utopian kumbaya of a society, but it could certainly be preferential, and could be the best system of governance in the history of mankind, as long as every individual continually contributes to make sure it stays that way without getting lazy and taking it for granted.

What are your thoughts?
Let me know down below.

Subject: Re: Nostalgia is always a bad thing

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/20 at 12:57 am

Hearing an old song can bring back memories for a person. A song heard once at a specific moment and then not heard again until a far later date will give the listener a sense of nostalgia for the date remembered and events which occurred then. However, if it is heard throughout life, it may lose its association with any specific period or experience

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 8:20 am

nostalgia for me has always been a good thing.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/17/20 at 2:26 am

To be fair, I can't blame people for feeling nostalgia during this pandemic. I've noticed myself listening to songs from the late 2000's and becoming more nostalgic for my earlier childhood. I've even became nostalgic for the entire year of 2019. And that's a year I remember not being a fan of while it was happening, but compared to 2020 it may as well be the 90's.  Hell, I already want to go back to late 2019. I've never wanted to go back to yesteryear more in my life.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/17/20 at 4:05 am

Nostalgia as long as it's not involved in something pathological or possible harmful can't be bad.

I would like to see the 2020s being less influenced or based around nostalgia. Don't get me wrong I like it but the 2010s relied way too much on nostalgia of the 80s and 90s.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/17/20 at 12:54 pm

Nostalgia as long as it's not involved in something pathological or possible harmful can't be bad.

I would like to see the 2020s being less influenced or based around nostalgia. Don't get me wrong I like it but the 2010s relied way too much on nostalgia of the 80s and 90s.

Yeah, I hope the 2020’s focuses less on nostalgia and reboots and more on  newer ideas. I want the 2020’s to have its own unique culture.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/17/20 at 1:16 pm

Yeah, I hope the 2020’s focuses less on nostalgia and reboots and more on  newer ideas. I want the 2020’s to have its own unique culture.

Nobody in the 60s-90s worshipped previous generations.

Of course there was nostalgia mixed into pop culture from previous ones which is fine.

On a side note, I just wished the 2000s was like a more sophisticated and better version of the 90s. Meaning using the same formula that made the 90s great but evolving that formula instead of regressing in many aspects outside of technology.

Sometimes I worry newer generations will get lazy and uncreative not just with music and movies like in the 2000s/2010s but maybe even tech gets stagnant.

Especially when times aren’t good ( economically, corona etc)

Check for new replies or respond here...