inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When Nostalgia Was A Disease

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/30/20 at 1:29 pm

Interesting article from the Atlantic. I just came across it, I'm surprised to see it's from back in 2013, but there you go.

Sample paragraphs:

"People who like to bring up old Nickelodeon cartoons at parties (you know who you are) should be grateful it's not a few hundred years ago. We'd have license to leech them, bully them, and maybe even bury them alive.

These were some of the treatments proposed for nostalgia during the 17th to 19th centuries, when it was considered a psychopathological disorder--rather than a blanket term for fondness for anything that existed more than thirty minutes ago."

Read entire article here:

www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/08/when-nostalgia-was-a-disease/278648/

Subject: Re: When Nostalgia Was A Disease

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/20 at 1:38 pm

Is the World Health Organisation aware of this?

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/20 at 3:08 pm

I think they were onto something. This forum can be very negative sometimes. It's not as bad right now (surprisingly) as it was a couple of years ago. A lot of people think bad music or bad TV shows are a source of their misery and their lives will magically get better if they hear a Top 40 pop single they like. In reality they should be getting treated for depression or whatever it is they have, being nostalgic over avrose coloured version of the past is not going to make you happier or keep you grounded to reality.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/02/20 at 11:02 am

Another article about the danger of losing yourself in nostalgia:

www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2020-05-01/parks-and-rec-coronavirus-reunion

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/20 at 2:58 pm

Another article about the danger of losing yourself in nostalgia:

www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2020-05-01/parks-and-rec-coronavirus-reunion

It is memory I fear losing!

Check for new replies or respond here...