inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Covers of The Beatles' "Yesterday".

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/20 at 11:42 am

According to Guinness World Records, “Yesterday” has over 1,600 cover versions. Broadcast Music Incorporated (BMI) asserts that it was performed over seven million times in the 20th century alone.

Let us see it we can find each cover version?

Starting with the original by The Beatles:

wXTJBr9tt8Q

In 1964, the tune to "Yesterday" came to Paul McCartney in a dream, and on waking worked out the medley and chords on the piano straightaway. He was convinced that this tune was already a piece of classical music, asking around friends had they heard it before, even playing at a birthday party of Biritsh singer Alma Cogan with many musician friends attending. Originally the song was to be titled "Scrambled Eggs", but "Yesterday" became the final song.

Over the years I always felt that John Lennon wrote better lyrics than Paul McCartney, and vice versa with melodies. Reflecting on that Paul wrote "Yesterday" entirely on his own.

Please post just one cover version per reply.

Subject: Re: Covers of The Beatles' "Yesterday".

Written By: violet_shy on 05/27/20 at 11:57 am

I've always wanted to sing a cover of "Let it be" by The Beatles. Maybe I'll do that sometime and surprise everyone!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/20 at 12:01 pm

From May 1970, Bob Dylan's cover of "Yesterday".

xWBuCH5wIZ0

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/20 at 3:56 am

From October 1965, Matt Monro's cover of "Yesterday".

ShXJ5WrvQpc

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/20 at 3:38 am

From 1970, Elvis Presley's cover of "Yesterday".

D4w9SzxxepQ

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/20 at 6:50 am

From 1966, Cilla Black's cover of "Yesterday"

ew1y-gvO_NM

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/20 at 3:47 am

From 1968, Ray Charles' cover of "Yesterday"

Bzk0n7h6I-o

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/20 at 2:49 am

The Beatles' "Yesterday" played by Manuel Barrueco on the solo classical guitar.

KK_HpWB9cwc

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/20 at 1:12 pm

From 1987, Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson cover of "Yesterday"

W64pgAcKbYA

Written By: violet_shy on 09/15/20 at 11:47 pm

This is one of the best things to ever happen to me. Singing this cover of "Let it be" by The Beatles. Usually, I have an octave when I sing. But with this song I was able to mellow it out. I am very happy with my cover! Used under permission of course. Here is my cover of "Let it be".

JDGy7vkCVgs

Written By: violet_shy on 09/16/20 at 9:36 am

Have you covered "Yesterday" yet?

I will work on it, and post it here!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/20 at 11:16 am

From 2001, P.P. Arnold cover of "Yesterday", with intro sounding like "Words" by the Bee Gees.

BlrN7e9SAZU

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/06/20 at 12:06 pm

This is one of the best things to ever happen to me. Singing this cover of "Let it be" by The Beatles. Usually, I have an octave when I sing. But with this song I was able to mellow it out. I am very happy with my cover! Used under permission of course. Here is my cover of "Let it be".

I see you stuck with the standard "I wake up to the sound of music mother Mary comes to me speaking words of wisdom". I was kind of hoping you'd use the lyrics Paul McCartney sings in the "Let It Be" movie "I wake up to the sound of music mother Mary comes to me THERE WILL BE NO SORROW, let it be". I think that line is the point of the entire song, but The Beatles inexplicably left it out in both the 45 and the LP versions. Speaking of that, I can't tell if your version leans more towards the Beatles 45 arrangement or the LP arrangement since you seem to have sidetracked the guitar solo completely, which would be the giveaway of which version. Is this your own arrangement? I notice you also seem to have avoided McCartney's majestic piano chords. Did you do up the lead sheets for this?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/23 at 12:33 pm

From 1965, "Yesterday" covered by Peter & Gordon. (Peter Asher (b. 1944) and Gordon Waller (1945–2009))

Pd1WpKBlFtY

Peter Asher after performing went on to a successful career as a manager and record producer, helping to foster the recording careers of James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt, and others. His sister, actress and writer of cake decorating books Jane Asher was partner to Paul McCartney from 1963 to 1968).

Gordon Waller's after career was not so successful.

Check for new replies or respond here...