inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which decade was the trashiest decade?

Written By: goodbants on 07/09/20 at 2:24 pm

I’m voting that the 2000s was the trashiest, and slightly trashier than the 2010s.

Subject: Re: Which decade was the trashiest decade?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/09/20 at 2:36 pm

Can you define what you mean by trashiest, since it can be a number of things  ???

Written By: goodbants on 07/09/20 at 2:53 pm

Can you define what you mean by trashiest, since it can be a number of things  ???

Least classy, cheap-looking, raunchy

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/20 at 3:13 pm

Least classy, cheap-looking, raunchy
Products in the fifties were a lot cheaper than those of today?

Written By: goodbants on 07/09/20 at 4:31 pm

Products in the fifties were a lot cheaper than those of today?

You know what I mean.. just like trashy

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/09/20 at 4:32 pm

In certain ways, the 70's were pretty trashy!  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/09/20 at 4:35 pm

Trashy?  ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/09/20 at 4:39 pm

Trashy?  ???

Yeah, the proliferation of cheap motels - that, and some of the fashions were trashy in retrospect.  Still, at the time we loved them    :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/09/20 at 4:51 pm

Yeah, the proliferation of cheap motels - that, and some of the fashions were trashy in retrospect.  Still, at the time we loved them    :)

No, I wasn't answering your post, I was wondering how a decade could be defined as "trashy" and what the criteria would be.
It's kind  of a bizarre question. The 1920s could be defined as "trashy" I suppose. Not only the fashions  but the rise of organized crime as a direct result of prohibition.

Written By: goodbants on 07/09/20 at 8:52 pm

No, I wasn't answering your post, I was wondering how a decade could be defined as "trashy" and what the criteria would be.
It's kind  of a bizarre question. The 1920s could be defined as "trashy" I suppose. Not only the fashions  but the rise of organized crime as a direct result of prohibition.

Maybe it wasn’t the best question.

Written By: AstroPoug on 12/20/20 at 11:14 pm

Definitely the late 00s/early 2010s (circa 2007-2013). I mean, we had YourFavoriteMartian, low-quality YouTube videos made with Windows Movie Maker and Unregistered HyperCam complete with Drowning Pool playing over it, those parody films by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, twerking, Annoying Orange, so many live-action movies based off cartoons that were just filled with lowbrow humor like Alvin and the Chipmunks and The Smurfs, Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore, and by far the trashiest genre of music to ever exist, CRUNKCORE.
This kind of stuff has basically completely died off around 2014 as people want classier media. Nowadays nobody even watches MTV anymore, YouTube videos, whilst there's definitely trashy stuff like the Paul brothers and whatnot, is much more high-quality nowadays (even if YouTube itself has actually declined in quality in my opinion, but the videos have improved overall), movies are gradually moving away from trashiness and toward more quiet and less trashy fare (nowadays movies like Joker and Bohemian Rhapsody are popular whereas just a few years earlier, it was stuff like The Hangover and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen). This even extends to cartoons somehow. Nowadays it's about stuff like Steven Universe and Hilda and Bojack Horseman whereas LITERALLY a few years prior it was all about Johnny Test and Fanboy and Chum Chum and even Total Drama (which I like that show, don't get me wrong, but it's pretty trashy if you think about it, what with the Flash animation and raunchy humor and whatnot). They even gave Fred and Annoying Orange shows. That just goes to show how much things have changed culturally since like 2012 or so.
Oh, and crunkcore is completely gone now, thank god.

Check for new replies or respond here...