inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most homogenous decade ?

Written By: CarCar on 07/16/20 at 8:28 am

Which decade had a more stagnant culture from beginning to end.

Pop culture and politics wise ?

Subject: Re: Most homogenous decade ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/20 at 8:48 am

1950s, for it was in 1949 when homogeneous cheese was introduced by Kraft with the packets of sliced cheese branded as Singles, with the ingredients: milk, whey, milk protein concentrate, milkfat, sodium citrate, contains less than 2% of calcium phosphate, whey protein concentrate, salt, lactic acid, sorbic acid as a preservative, cheese culture, annatto and paprika extract (color), enzymes, vitamin d3.

Nowadays in America, consumers are slowly moving away from Kraft Singles, though around 40 percent of households in America continue to buy Kraft Singles, sales are flat.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/16/20 at 9:05 am

1950s, for it was in 1949 when homogeneous cheese was introduced by Kraft with the packets of sliced cheese branded as Singles, with the ingredients: milk, whey, milk protein concentrate, milkfat, sodium citrate, contains less than 2% of calcium phosphate, whey protein concentrate, salt, lactic acid, sorbic acid as a preservative, cheese culture, annatto and paprika extract (color), enzymes, vitamin d3.

Nowadays in America, consumers are slowly moving away from Kraft Singles, though around 40 percent of households in America continue to buy Kraft Singles, sales are flat.

I never did like Kraft cheese. I prefer a better quality cheese. Kraft cheese is like eating plastic. I once heard that if you lit a McDonald's shake on fire it smelled like burning plastic. I never knew if that was an urban legend because I never tried it. But if it is true, the same thing would probably happen with Kraft cheese.

Written By: wixness on 07/16/20 at 9:37 am

Tricky because I think that the 2000s appeared to have a "stagnant" decade but I'm not sure if I could say it was homogenous. In fact, it's known to be quite clique-y. I would say the 2010s was more homogenous (especially if you consider a lot of people who complain about the politics of the 2010s), but it was far more pro-active than in the previous decade - people tried to make a name for themselves and the things they cared for at least in part due to the internet being a much more pervasive influence in everyday life. The "trashy" image of the 2000s was discarded almost entirely in favor of the hipster and "classy" look, favoring a gender conforming and "tidy" aesthetic. I can't really say for the other decades though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/20 at 9:56 am

I never did like Kraft cheese. I prefer a better quality cheese. Kraft cheese is like eating plastic. I once heard that if you lit a McDonald's shake on fire it smelled like burning plastic. I never knew if that was an urban legend because I never tried it. But if it is true, the same thing would probably happen with Kraft cheese.
Milkshakes are to filling and lethal, and the milkshakes I have had when abroad are even worse, I will try out burning plastic experiment when I can.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/16/20 at 10:06 am

This is a very confusing question to answer. "Homogenous" is an obsolete word. According to grammar.com:

To summarize: Earlier, homogenous was used as a scientific term, mainly in biology, but now it is almost obsolete, being replaced by homologous. Whereas, homogeneous is a common word, very much in use and means having similar or comparable characteristics.

Homogeneous:

adjective:

composed of parts or elements that are all of the same kind; not heterogeneous:

a homogeneous population.
of the same kind or nature; essentially alike.

Mathematics:

having a common property throughout:
a homogeneous solid figure.

having all terms of the same degree:
a homogeneous equation.

relating to a function of several variables that becomes multiplied by some power of a constant when each variable is multiplied by that constant: x2y3 is a homogeneous expression of degree 5.

relating to a differential equation in which a linear combination of derivatives is set equal to zero.

-dictionary.com

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/20 at 10:07 am

This is a very confusing question to answer. "Homogenous" is an obsolete word. According to grammar.com:

To summarize: Earlier, homogenous was used as a scientific term, mainly in biology, but now it is almost obsolete, being replaced by homologous. Whereas, homogeneous is a common word, very much in use and means having similar or comparable characteristics.

Homogeneous:

adjective:

composed of parts or elements that are all of the same kind; not heterogeneous:

a homogeneous population.
of the same kind or nature; essentially alike.

Mathematics:

having a common property throughout:
a homogeneous solid figure.

having all terms of the same degree:
a homogeneous equation.

relating to a function of several variables that becomes multiplied by some power of a constant when each variable is multiplied by that constant: x2y3 is a homogeneous expression of degree 5.

relating to a differential equation in which a linear combination of derivatives is set equal to zero.

-dictionary.com

The same king of processed cheese?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/16/20 at 10:14 am

Milkshakes are to filling and lethal, and the milkshakes I have had when abroad are even worse.

You are correct. Yet some people swill them (and sugar/corn syrup/fructose laden carbonated beverages) like they are water. A big reason for the obesity epidemic in the United States. According to studies, the obesity epidemic began in earnest in the 90s. It's true. Look at the Woodstock movie or any photo from that 1969 festival. Half a million people in various states of undress and not an obese person among them! (No silly baseball caps either, but that's a discussion for another day). Something  changed. Stay away from that McDonald's food, folks!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/20 at 10:21 am

You are correct. Yet some people swill them (and sugar/corn syrup/fructose laden carbonated beverages) like they are water. A big reason for the obesity epidemic in the United States. According to studies, the obesity epidemic began in earnest in the 90s. It's true. Look at the Woodstock movie or any photo from that 1969 festival. Half a million people in various states of undress and not an obese person among them! (No silly baseball caps either, but that's a discussion for another day). Something  changed. Stay away from that McDonald's food, folks!
When we were in the USA for a vacation, when dining out needing a snack, at Subway we would buy just one item to eat and one to drink, for the roll would be large, along with the drink being large too.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/16/20 at 10:23 am

When we were in the USA for a vacation, when dining out needing a snack, at Subway we would buy just one item to eat and one to drink, for the roll would be large, along with the drink being large too.

Subway is a massive ripoff. The roll is large but there's like one piece of meat and one piece of cheese inside. And the cheese tastes like the dreaded Kraft cheese! And they charge a fortune. Avoid them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/20 at 10:24 am

Subway is a massive ripoff. The roll is large but there's like one piece of meat and one piece of cheese inside. And the cheese tastes like the dreaded Kraft cheese! And they charge a fortune. Avoid them.
On that day we had no other choice. BTW, we did avoid McDonald's

Written By: nally on 07/16/20 at 10:25 am

On that day we had no other choice. BTW, we did avoid McDonald's

I have been avoiding McDonald's for quite some time myself now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/20 at 10:26 am

I have been avoiding McDonald's for quite some time myself now.
The McDonald's meal here in the UK are best described as smaller and are bearable for a meal.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/16/20 at 11:32 am

I actually thought Kraft cheese was the better tasting, compared to the off brand ones that taste like oily cardboard and break if you try to bend it.

Written By: karen on 07/16/20 at 11:45 am

I actually thought Kraft cheese was the better tasting, compared to the off brand ones that taste like oily cardboard and break if you try to bend it.

Try real cheese and you’ll never go back to any of the processed stuff

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/20 at 11:52 am

Try real cheese and you’ll never go back to any of the processed stuff
Real cheese it always is, and real Cheddar comes from Cheddar.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/16/20 at 12:20 pm

Yes,but you're still operating on the "lower level", so to speak, of cheeses there. Isn't there a deli counter at your supermarket that slices fresher cheese than the packaged stuff?

Written By: violet_shy on 07/16/20 at 12:35 pm

compared to the off brand ones that taste like oily cardboard and break if you try to bend it.

Eww. Lol. I hate processed cheeses.

Written By: karen on 07/16/20 at 12:47 pm

Real cheese it always is, and real Cheddar comes from Cheddar.

But it’s not a protected place of origin (or whatever that phrase is) cheese as the word has become too generic. For example we like the Snowdonia cheese company’s cheddar. Growing up my mum always bought Red Leicester

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/20 at 12:51 pm

But it’s not a protected place of origin (or whatever that phrase is) cheese as the word has become too generic. For example we like the Snowdonia cheese company’s cheddar. Growing up my mum always bought Red Leicester
Red Leicester was my favourite on toast, and I have still never knowingly tasted Stilton.

...generic, how about Cornish Pasty?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/16/20 at 12:56 pm

That's true, I think pretty much anything can call itself cheddar cheese. Unlike champagne, which to officially be called champagne MUST come from the Champagne Valley in France. Any pretender has to call itself "sparkling wine".

Written By: karen on 07/16/20 at 1:28 pm

Red Leicester was my favourite on toast, and I have still never knowingly tasted Stilton.

...generic, how about Cornish Pasty?

I think Cornish pasty might also be a designated area wotsit. Melton Mowbray pork pies definitely are. Weirdly with the designated place thing is that Stilton cheese can’t actually be made in Stilton!

Written By: karen on 07/16/20 at 1:31 pm

When did we swap to having homogenous milk? As a kid we always had full fat pasteurised milk and, if you left it a while, the cream always rose to the top. My mum used to like this in her cup of tea. You had to remember to take the top off the mil when you opened a bottle and keep it in a tea cup for her.

Nowadays I’m sure that full fat milk doesn’t separate in the same way. We always buy semi skimmed so I can’t be entirely certain.

Written By: karen on 07/16/20 at 1:34 pm

That's true, I think pretty much anything can call itself cheddar cheese. Unlike champagne, which to officially be called champagne MUST come from the Champagne Valley in France. Any pretender has to call itself "sparkling wine".

We were looking at the various rules around this. I think most of them only apply in the European Union. Some are to do with the method, some are the ingredients and some are the location of manufacture and they have various initials depending on which rule is being applied.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/16/20 at 1:41 pm

When did we swap to having homogenous milk? As a kid we always had full fat pasteurised milk and, if you left it a while, the cream always rose to the top. My mum used to like this in her cup of tea. You had to remember to take the top off the mil when you opened a bottle and keep it in a tea cup for her.

Nowadays I’m sure that full fat milk doesn’t separate in the same way. We always buy semi skimmed so I can’t be entirely certain.

Even though I'm pretty old, in my lifetime we have always had pasteurized, homogenized milk here in the US, which we bought in cartons in supermarkets. The "milkman" era of delivery in glass bottles was pretty much over, though some less urban ares may have had it for a while longer.  But I had an older teacher who told me in his youth the milkman delivered the full fat milk and the cream rose to the top. He said if it was cold out and the milk was delivered and sitting outside waiting to be brought into the house, the cream would pop through the paper covers on the bottles and freeze, kind of like a popsicle. He said this would attract local cats who would all come and lick it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/20 at 1:44 pm

I think Cornish pasty might also be a designated area wotsit. Melton Mowbray pork pies definitely are. Weirdly with the designated place thing is that Stilton cheese can’t actually be made in Stilton!
The Blue Stilton has penicillin in ti to make it go blue?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/16/20 at 2:15 pm

With our dietary needs, we usually choose reduced fat cheese slices (not non-fat - ick 8-P).  Over the last few years it's been harder to find reduced fat cheese slices in the store.  A newer entry in our area grocers, Mariano's, they seem to have the best selection of reduced fat cheeses - I can get Cheddar, Provolone, Swiss, Pepper Jack, Colby Jack, and Mozzarella.  All Sargento brand.  The other stores don't seem to carry many reduced fat varieties.  Although Target has reduced fat cheddar in their store brand - but we don't like it because they don't use the little paper to separate the cheese and it sticks together, so annoying.

Written By: karen on 07/16/20 at 2:24 pm

Even though I'm pretty old, in my lifetime we have always had pasteurized, homogenized milk here in the US, which we bought in cartons in supermarkets. The "milkman" era of delivery in glass bottles was pretty much over, though some less urban ares may have had it for a while longer.  But I had an older teacher who told me in his youth the milkman delivered the full fat milk and the cream rose to the top. He said if it was cold out and the milk was delivered and sitting outside waiting to be brought into the house, the cream would pop through the paper covers on the bottles and freeze, kind of like a popsicle. He said this would attract local cats who would all come and lick it.

We had a milkman deliver milk when we first got married in the early nineties. You can still get milk delivered in the U.K., but it is plastic bottles the same as you get in the supermarket.

As a child we had small bottles of milk at school and it would sometimes be frozen in the winter. We would call it ice cream.

I more remember a problem with birds pecking the milk tops off, rather than cats trying to eat the frozen stuff

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/20 at 2:27 pm

I had the left-overs from last night's dinner for lunch today. It was Annie's mac & cheese with peas & tuna. We refer to it as "quicky tuna casserole".

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/20 at 2:28 pm

I had the left-overs from last night's dinner for lunch today. It was Annie's mac & cheese with peas & tuna. We refer to it as "quicky tuna casserole".

Cat
Tuna with cheese, I once had that combination it a Tuna Pasta Bake.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/20 at 2:29 pm

As a child we had small bottles of milk at school and it would sometimes be frozen in the winter. We would call it ice cream.

Was you ever a milk monitor?

...and remember who snatched the milk away from the schoolchildren?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/16/20 at 3:24 pm

In eighth grade, I decided I detested the school lunchroom (I really did).  It was noisy and chaotic and just became repulsive to me.  My school had a rule then - no food can exit the lunchroom but milk.  Only milk.  And exiting the lunchroom meant going "outside", literally.  Alas, the allure of the outdoors was quite a draw for me.  So I decided, I could find a nickel (harder than it sounded in that day).  I'd go to the lunchroom, purchase a single chocolate milk for a nickel, which became my "lunch", and head straight for the door to the outside.  I usually found one or two other rebellious girlfriends who would also go outside at lunch, and hang with them.  But the best part of this routine was, whenever the weather wasn't freezing, there were often a few cute boys playing at the outdoor basketball hoop over lunch!    :D

Hmm, wonder why I was so ravenous when I got home from school in those days...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/20 at 3:29 pm

In eighth grade, I decided I detested the school lunchroom (I really did).  It was noisy and chaotic and just became repulsive to me.  My school had a rule then - no food can exit the lunchroom but milk.  Only milk.  And exiting the lunchroom meant going "outside", literally.  Alas, the allure of the outdoors was quite a draw for me.  So I decided, I could find a nickel (harder than it sounded in that day).  I'd go to the lunchroom, purchase a single chocolate milk for a nickel, which became my "lunch", and head straight for the door to the outside.  I usually found one or two other rebellious girlfriends who would also go outside at lunch, and hang with them.  But the best part of this routine was, whenever the weather wasn't freezing, there were often a few cute boys playing at the outdoor basketball hoop over lunch!    :D

Hmm, wonder why I was so ravenous when I got home from school in those days...
I trust you are eating much better now.

Through my whole education years at school, because I lived closed to the schools I attended, I was able to have dinner at home, and I had school dinner only once, for I had to attend a special event, it was a free lunch.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/20 at 4:10 pm

Our lunch room in high school was basically a grill. They sold other cold sandwiches but mostly what they sold were hamburgers or cheeseburgers and fries. The women who worked the grill all had accents. If they were backed up, they gave you a number and when it ready, they would call out, "Cheesebugga 4" to which just about everyone in the room would start saying, "Cheesebugga, cheesebugga, cheesebugga. 4 chips. No Coke, Pepsi."

For those of you who don't get the reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puJePACBoIo

One time, there was this kid at the front of the line who paid for his meal in pennies. After the woman counted them all out, the next kid in line did the same thing. I thought that was mean of them. Those women worked hard to feed us all.

Cat

Written By: karen on 07/16/20 at 4:20 pm

I know it was “Margaret Thatcher, milk snatcher” but we continued having milk long after she finished being education secretary. I think our LEA decided to carry it on. We only stopped in about 1978.

I probably fished out the pink straws occasionally,  but never got to go and collect the milk crate. I was team points monitor for the whole school. Every Friday afternoon I walked around the junior school with a little notebook and wrote down the points each different colour team had. I added them up and presented the totals to the headmaster for announcing in school assembly the following week. I also had to do the trembly and yearly total. I remember buying a new set of ribbons for the cup.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/20 at 4:26 pm

I know it was “Margaret Thatcher, milk snatcher” but we continued having milk long after she finished being education secretary. I think our LEA decided to carry it on. We only stopped in about 1978.

By that time I had left school, and I only recall having milk at primary school.

Written By: CarCar on 07/16/20 at 5:29 pm

Y’all talking about cheese not the topic at hand  >:(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/16/20 at 6:16 pm

Y’all talking about cheese not the topic at hand  >:(

If I understand the way things go around here, once you put a topic out there, it's no longer up to you the way it goes. If your topic reminds people of cheese then c'est la vie. You're the one who used the word "homogenous", apparently far more applicable to dairy products than decades in people's minds. Although I do believe you have the right to lock the topic if you are unhappy. Otherwise, just relax and join in on the cheese talk.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/16/20 at 6:59 pm

Can we please just go back on topic? I think it's pretty obvious to anyone with a functional brain that the OP obviously wasn't talking about cheese.

Back on topic, I have always felt like the 1980's were pretty consistent culturally, since the culture and music are easily identifiable. You can easily identify 80's music and fashion. I don't know a lot about the 80's decade though.

Written By: CarCar on 07/16/20 at 8:54 pm

Can we please just go back on topic? I think it's pretty obvious to anyone with a functional brain that the OP obviously wasn't talking about cheese.

Back on topic, I have always felt like the 1980's were pretty consistent culturally, since the culture and music are easily identifiable. You can easily identify 80's music and fashion. I don't know a lot about the 80's decade though.

I admit I could worded it better, but y’all are being dense for thinking I was talking about cheese !

Written By: CarCar on 07/16/20 at 8:55 pm

Sometimes I wonder if it’s because we’re so far removed from the 80s now that we have no choice to look at the decade that way

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/16/20 at 9:09 pm

I admit I could worded it better, but y’all are being dense for thinking I was talking about cheese !

A decade can't be homogenous, it's a contradiction in terms, it's apples and oranges. More cheese talk please!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/16/20 at 11:04 pm

All this cheese talk makes me long to take a quick road trip to neighboring Wisconsin!  Even though it's just over an hour's drive.  After crossing the border on I-94, this is the second thing that greets us Illinois tourists (after the "Welcome to Wisconsin" sign):

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SERXl14mNOY/TgN4t_rGMZI/AAAAAAAAD_w/MlJ0YQf0FGk/s1600/IMG_5477.JPG

On the other hand, I don't like those "cheesehead" hats because there's always a Packers fan below!  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/16/20 at 11:15 pm

All this cheese talk makes me long to take a quick road trip to neighboring Wisconsin!  Even though it's just over an hour's drive.  After crossing the border on I-94, this is the second thing that greets us Illinois tourists (after the "Welcome to Wisconsin" sign):

Love that sign! It's similar to, but not exactly, the futuristic "googie" design of mid-20th century. I love googie architecture. Here's an example of googie signage:

http://i.pinimg.com/originals/2f/3a/f2/2f3af2a4f14f1c117bc673426fc308f2.jpg

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/16/20 at 11:15 pm

Yes,but you're still operating on the "lower level", so to speak, of cheeses there. Isn't there a deli counter at your supermarket that slices fresher cheese than the packaged stuff?

Probably the stuff my ex housemate used to get. She always believed in paying more for higher quality food. She always got this unwrapped cheese that was sliced thicker and separated by paper like it came from a deli. It was ok but I much prefer Kraft or Velveeta slices.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/16/20 at 11:18 pm

A decade can't be homogenous, it's a contradiction in terms, it's apples and oranges. More cheese talk please!

The only other thing I think of when I hear the word homogenized is Smokey Yunick’s hot vapor engine.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/16/20 at 11:26 pm

Probably the stuff my ex housemate used to get. She always believed in paying more for higher quality food. She always got this unwrapped cheese that was sliced thicker and separated by paper like it came from a deli. It was ok but I much prefer Kraft or Velveeta slices.

For American cheese I prefer Land O Lakes sliced from the deli. A good Italian provolone is always nice too. There is also really good imported Italian provolone that comes in a big ball wrapped in wax with red printing on it, but it's very pricey. It can generally be found in the gourmet cheese section of supermarkets. It's heavenly but I don't have it that often because of the cost and because I try to limit my cheese intake due to high fat and calorie content.

Written By: karen on 07/17/20 at 1:36 am

In terms f cheese, if it comes presliced it probably still isn’t the real deal.

Written By: karen on 07/17/20 at 1:39 am

I think there is a big change between the beginning and the end of the 80s. New wave and New Romantic s is nothing like the plastic pop of Stock, Aiken and Waterman

Written By: CarCar on 07/17/20 at 4:05 am

I think there is a big change between the beginning and the end of the 80s. New wave and New Romantic s is nothing like the plastic pop of Stock, Aiken and Waterman

I’m just gonna lock this thread and start a new one, hopefully without the bored people who ruined this one

Check for new replies or respond here...