inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which 5-month period was worst for the United States?

Written By: goodbants on 07/17/20 at 5:48 pm

I forgot to add in the 21st century.

Subject: Re: Which 5-month period was worst for the United States?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/17/20 at 8:23 pm

Is there a reason you carved up these bad periods into five month clumps? Is that how long a disastrous period usually lasts, and then ends? Are we only talking about five month bad periods and not longer bad periods like the Great Recession of 2008-2009? That lasted two years and beyond. I'm just trying to figure out the rationale of this question.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/17/20 at 9:04 pm

I voted for 2020.

I've been around a good number of years at this point.  This time is unprecedented.  I didn't think it could get worse than post-9/11.  :-\\

Written By: goodbants on 07/17/20 at 9:10 pm

Is there a reason you carved up these bad periods into five month clumps? Is that how long a disastrous period usually lasts, and then ends? Are we only talking about five month bad periods and not longer bad periods like the Great Recession of 2008-2009? That lasted two years and beyond. I'm just trying to figure out the rationale of this question.

Nah, I know disastrous periods can last more than 5-months. I just used it as a random marker for time. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/17/20 at 9:11 pm

I voted for 2020.

I've been around a good number of years at this point.  This time is unprecedented.  I didn't think it could get worse than post-9/11.  :-\\

The difference between post-9/11 and now, is that after 9/11 we all, however briefly, CAME TOGETHER. AS AMERICANS. For better or worse. It was a positive thing in the wake of a tragedy. Now there is nothing but divisiveness and tearing down and destruction. I hear a lot of rhetoric about what is systemically wrong but I don't see anyone offering any positive, workable solutions. Just empty virtue-signaling.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 07/17/20 at 11:53 pm

Other, aka, the Panic of 1873

edit: Couldn't you edit the title?

Written By: goodbants on 07/18/20 at 12:59 am

Other, aka, the Panic of 1873

edit: Couldn't you edit the title?

It’s edited now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/18/20 at 1:41 pm

I also voted 2020.

9/11 was horrific. Over 3000 died on that fateful day. (I have a friend who worked in the Twin Towers and was at work that day. She still suffers from PTSD.) Over the last 20 years, I don't know how many people were killed in Afghanistan & Iraq. As callas as this may sound, that whole period only affected a certain number of families (and STILL affects them). I'm not discounting their pain and suffering but on the whole, that number isn't that great.

The Great Recession cost people their jobs, savings, and in many places, their homes. (Of course that came from deregulation but that is another issue.) As bad as it seemed them, we bounced back.

2020, on the other hand, more people have died of Covid than they have on 9/11 AND in Afghanistan and that number is only going up. The economy is in the toilet. Record numbers of unemployment.  Then you have the protests. Yes, people are calling for change-people have been calling for change for at least 150 years. But, things have finally came to a head. With many people out of a job, they don't have much to lose so they are fighting for change. You also have those who want to keep the status quo so there are clashes. Some of those clashes has resulted in deaths.

Things are much worst now then they were on 9/11 and after, and they are much worse than they were during the Great Recession. I'm afraid that all of this will only get worse before it gets better.

Cat

Written By: fusefan on 07/23/20 at 12:53 am

I remember Sept 2001-Jan 2002 being pretty rough. But the events directly effected folks on the east coast.

Events of Mar 2020 - Jul 2020 pretty much affects everyone in every state and has killed more americans.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 07/27/20 at 4:46 pm

June - November 1918
The five months the United States was directly involved in World War I, which culminated in the deadliest battle in the nation’s history (Meuse-Argonne) as well as the onset and peak of the Spanish flu. Which itself would claim over 600,000 American lives.

Subject: Re: Which 5-month period was worst for the United States in the 21st century?

Written By: goodbants on 07/27/20 at 10:28 pm

June - November 1918
The five months the United States was directly involved in World War I, which culminated in the deadliest battle in the nation’s history (Meuse-Argonne) as well as the onset and peak of the Spanish flu. Which itself would claim over 600,000 American lives.

Sorry, I said I changed it to the 21st century on the first post. Here, I'll edit my title to make it more clear.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/20 at 1:29 am

The first 5 months with a new President?

Subject: Which 5-month period was worst for the United States?

Written By: Dude111 on 07/28/20 at 11:23 am

I forgot to add in the 21st century.

Im glad ya did,thats the one I picked!!

Check for new replies or respond here...