inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do tragedies change the world ?

Written By: CarCar on 08/10/20 at 4:40 pm

1). Generation X (Born Late 60s through Early 70s): entered young adulthood when the challenger exploded in 1986

2). Generation Y/Xennials (Born Late 70s through Early 80s): entered young adulthood when 9/11 happened in 2001

3). Millennials (Born Late 80s through Early 90s): entered young adulthood when the 2008 recession happened

4). Gen Z (Born Late 90s through Early 2000s): entered young adulthood when the 2020 Coronavirus pandemic stoped the world

5). Post Gen Z Cohort (Born Late 2000s through Early 2010s): will enter young adulthood in the Late 2020s/Early 2030s

Do tragedies tend to move the world and define generations who can only remember a life before said traged changed things. Will we view 2020 with rose tinted glasses in the future

Subject: Re: Do tragedies change the world ?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/10/20 at 7:24 pm

1). Generation X (Born Late 60s through Early 70s): entered young adulthood when the challenger exploded in 1986

2). Generation Y/Xennials (Born Late 70s through Early 80s): entered young adulthood when 9/11 happened in 2001

3). Millennials (Born Late 80s through Early 90s): entered young adulthood when the 2008 recession happened

4). Gen Z (Born Late 90s through Early 2000s): entered young adulthood when the 2020 Coronavirus pandemic stoped the world

5). Post Gen Z Cohort (Born Late 2000s through Early 2010s): will enter young adulthood in the Late 2020s/Early 2030s

Do tragedies tend to move the world and define generations who can only remember a life before said traged changed things. Will we view 2020 with rose tinted glasses in the future

Not all tragedies are created equal.  For example when the Challenger exploded, it was very sad and was atop all the headlines, but very few people's lives changed from that.  Whereas 9/11 impacted almost everyone in certain ways, at least in America.  We may not know for a while how lasting the effect is, but this Coronavirus is definitely a "major impact" event as of right now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/10/20 at 7:49 pm

Not all tragedies are created equal.  For example when the Challenger exploded, it was very sad and was atop all the headlines, but very few people's lives changed from that.  Whereas 9/11 impacted almost everyone in certain ways, at least in America.  We may not know for a while how lasting the effect is, but this Coronavirus is definitely a "major impact" event as of right now.

Very true. Sad as it was, nobody, save for the family and friend of the deceased, walks around saying "the Challenger disaster changed my life".  It's a stretch to include it on this chart. If  anyone doesn't believe me, are you aware of the time it happened before? On January 27, 1967 three astronauts,  Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee were killed when they couldn't escape when a fire broke out during a test on the Apollo 1 capsule. This was huge news when I was young. I doubt anybody from today's generation knows about it, except perhaps for NASA aficionados.

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/10/20 at 9:22 pm

Very true. Sad as it was, nobody, save for the family and friend of the deceased, walks around saying "the Challenger disaster changed my life".  It's a stretch to include it on this chart. If  anyone doesn't believe me, are you aware of the time it happened before? On January 27, 1967 three astronauts,  Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee were killed when they couldn't escape when a fire broke out during a test on the Apollo 1 capsule. This was huge news when I was young. I doubt anybody from today's generation knows about it, except perhaps for NASA aficionados.

I agree my generation definitely knows of the Challenger explosion, but I don’t think it changed anything except for space travel for awhile. I think living in a world with AIDS was a larger scale tragedy. It affected humans everywhere and at the time had a 100% death rate, or at least pretty close.

I don’t think we will ever look at 2020s with rose colored glasses. I wasn’t there but I compare this to the 1930s and it’s going to get worse before it gets better. I never knew anyone who looked at the 1930s with rose colored glasses.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/10/20 at 10:00 pm

I agree my generation definitely knows of the Challenger explosion, but I don’t think it changed anything except for space travel for awhile. I think living in a world with AIDS was a larger scale tragedy. It affected humans everywhere and at the time had a 100% death rate, or at least pretty close.

I don’t think we will ever look at 2020s with rose colored glasses. I wasn’t there but I compare this to the 1930s and it’s going to get worse before it gets better. I never knew anyone who looked at the 1930s with rose colored glasses.

Yes, the AIDS crisis was life changing and majorly culture changing for sure, the effects of which are felt to this day. Although subsequent generations may not feel it quite as much, my generation definitely knew a life "before AIDS" and "after AIDS". I don't know why it wasn't mentioned in the theorem proposed by OP in favor of the Challenger disaster which was a tragedy but neither life nor culture changing.

Written By: CarCar on 08/11/20 at 2:19 am

Yes, the AIDS crisis was life changing and majorly culture changing for sure, the effects of which are felt to this day. Although subsequent generations may not feel it quite as much, my generation definitely knew a life "before AIDS" and "after AIDS". I don't know why it wasn't mentioned in the theorem proposed by OP in favor of the Challenger disaster which was a tragedy but neither life nor culture changing.

I was going to say the aids crisis but that was discovered in 1981 when that cohort was still kids and had not entered young adulthood yet

Written By: CarCar on 08/11/20 at 2:22 am

Ehh people in the 1930s didn’t have Pokémon, PS4s, Netflix, Hulu or Uber eats to keep them entertained. People aren’t even deployed to war just refusing to quarantine and take precautions. 1930s seems a bit of a reach this is more like the Spanish influenza

Written By: CarCar on 08/11/20 at 2:23 am

I can hear people say stuff like 2020 was a bad year but the music and video games were awesome in the future for some reason

Written By: CarCar on 08/11/20 at 2:26 am

Aids ruined sex for people in the 80s

Coronavirus ruins getting to close to people in the 2020s

Not that different

Written By: CarCar on 08/11/20 at 2:52 am

Honestly what in the 1930s doesn’t look depressing. Music, fashion, aesthetic everything about that decade would give a good reason for someone not reminisce the decade fondly. At least the 2020s tries to be vibrant in the middle of all this chaos. It tries to be different

Written By: Howard on 08/11/20 at 7:51 am

Tragedies do change the way people think and I have seen plenty of them growing up and that would include The Challenger Explosion in 1986, The 1993 Explosion, The 2001 World Trade Center Hijacking just to name a few.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/11/20 at 7:53 am

Shakespeare's Tragedies certainly changed the face of the world, the new and different approach in theatre, street performers to a central stage, having the audience seated to to view the play.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/11/20 at 8:23 am

I was going to say the aids crisis but that was discovered in 1981 when that cohort was still kids and had not entered young adulthood yet

Doesn't matter. The first known cases of AIDS came to light in 1981 but it was not a big news story. The existence of the disease and the disease itself  affected very few outside the LGBT, Haitian and hemophiliac communities at that time. By 84-86 it was full blown and full known. I would think the fact that it was running rampant at that point is a more important date than when it first came to light as far as affecting people's lives who were just coming into adulthood.  So 1986 as a "year of AIDS" would have far more life changing effect than as "year of the Challenger".  The reason these charts don't work is you try to shoehorn things in and make "random factors" seem to have more of a pattern than they actually do.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/11/20 at 11:18 am

Not that different

:-\\  I beg to differ.  Shaking someone's hand, hugging them, high-fiving them or just breathing too close to them is not a risk factor to catch AIDS.  That was the time when toilet seat covers in public bathrooms became widespread, but that is hardly life-changing on a grand scale.  (Perhaps a bit costly to those who maintained those bathrooms.)  I will say that AIDS did indeed have an effect on culture at the time.  The scale of impact on the culture at large, however, as bad as AIDS was (and it was bad), is much less than COVID-19.

There was one big difference, though, that upped the ante with AIDS - getting AIDS was a near automatic death sentence at that time, whereas a large proportion of people recover from COVID.  Still, there were no lockdowns, school shutdowns, business shutdowns, or mask wearing mandates for AIDS then.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/11/20 at 1:37 pm

Not that different

Why do you always have to contradict what others say about different times-especially with people who WERE THERE and we can assume that you were not!

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/11/20 at 1:41 pm

Most certainly did not... I was there!

Only getting close to strangers, to those that live in another household.

I can recall Princess Diana shaking hands with those infected by AIDS.

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/11/20 at 9:40 pm

Most certainly did not... I was there!
Only getting close to strangers, to those that live in another household.

I can recall Princess Diana shaking hands with those infected by AIDS.

AIDS wasn’t just about sex. Getting it from blood transfusions, or from dirty needles, were big things. Or medical workers who are in contact with infected body fluids.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/20 at 3:18 am

AIDS wasn’t just about sex. Getting it from blood transfusions, or from dirty needles, were big things. Or medical workers who are in contact with infected body fluids.
We remember tennis player Arthur Ashe here  :\'(

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/12/20 at 3:00 pm

We remember tennis player Arthur Ashe here  :\'(

I do remember Arthur Ashe. Ryan White was a big name in my generation. I had a blood transfusion in early 1985 so as I got older was concerned for awhile.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/12/20 at 3:30 pm

I had to take AIDS tests all the time (even when I didn't study for them).

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/20 at 10:36 pm

From what I have learned, we still haven't really fully recovered from the 2008/2009 stock market crash. And now the Coronavirus affecting the economy.

The average Millenial was born in 1988/1989, so by the start of the crash in 2008, the average Millennial was about 18 to 20! It was as shock to the system and affected a whole generation. Imagine ending high school in 2007/2008 and then 2008 happening. The crash did change the Millennial generation, more than 9/11, more than the Challenger in 1986.

Written By: CarCar on 08/19/20 at 7:54 pm

From what I have learned, we still haven't really fully recovered from the 2008/2009 stock market crash. And now the Coronavirus affecting the economy.

The average Millenial was born in 1988/1989, so by the start of the crash in 2008, the average Millennial was about 18 to 20! It was as shock to the system and affected a whole generation. Imagine ending high school in 2007/2008 and then 2008 happening. The crash did change the Millennial generation, more than 9/11, more than the Challenger in 1986.

I mean in someways the 2000s is still kinda seen as the previous decade. It only ended 10/11 years ago so that’s probably why it’s effects still linger in people’s minds and day to day life. The young adults at the time are now on average 30

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/20 at 10:03 am

How about those born before the Late 60s through Early 70s and the tragedies within?

Check for new replies or respond here...