inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Covers of the song "Unchained Melody"

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/20 at 10:30 am

Over the years there has been many a cover of "Unchained Melody", a 1955 song with music by Alex North and lyrics by Hy Zaret. North wrote the music as a theme for the little-known prison film Unchained (January 1955), hence the song title. Todd Duncan sang the vocals for the film soundtrack.

szpGVAGcysw

How many more can we find?

Subject: Re: Covers of the song "Unchained Melody"

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/20 at 11:33 am

The best-known version of "Unchained Melody" was recorded by the duo The Righteous Brothers for Philles Records in 1965 and reappeared on the US Billboard charts in 1990 after The Righteous Brothers' recording was used in the box office blockbuster film Ghost. The best-known version of "Unchained Melody" was recorded by the duo The Righteous Brothers for Philles Records in 1965. The lead vocal was performed solo by Bobby Hatfield, who later recorded other versions of the song credited solely to him. According to his singing partner Bill Medley, they had agreed to do one solo piece each per album. Both wanted to sing "Unchained Melody" for their fourth album, but Hatfield won the coin toss.

IYj2hex99gY

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/06/20 at 1:08 pm

There’s been tons of covers. This one is probably my favorite.

HFKB5HJWZ5g

I always get this song mixed up with Sea Of Love.

Written By: nally on 10/06/20 at 1:14 pm

The best-known version of "Unchained Melody" was recorded by the duo The Righteous Brothers for Philles Records in 1965 and reappeared on the US Billboard charts in 1990 after The Righteous Brothers' recording was used in the box office blockbuster film Ghost. The lead vocal was performed solo by Bobby Hatfield, who later recorded other versions of the song credited solely to him.

The Righteous Brothers' version from 1965 is the one I know best. A quarter-century later, when it was re-popularized due to inclusion in the movie Ghost, the duo also made a new recording of it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/06/20 at 1:24 pm

Gene Vincent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDOWMr8feE

Heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJBNfCEhVB8

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/06/20 at 1:25 pm

Donny Osmond

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvJBK15A1bg

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/20 at 8:24 am

An obscure 1955 parody cover of "Unchained Melody" by 1950s British comedy team The Goons, featuring Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers, and Harry Secombe. Produced by George Martin.

XqqNsyHajb0

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/20 at 9:17 pm

Most of the covers post Righteous Brothers that were hits seemed to have primarily been in Europe.
British duo Robson and Jerome took it to UK #1 in 1995 as did British singer Gareth Gates in 2002.  I am an avid listener of whatever hits the UK charts, so I know both versions quite well and they are great!

Check for new replies or respond here...