inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs with different duet vocalists

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/20 at 11:01 pm

Sometimes when an artist records a duet, a different version with a different singer might be released depending on the country.  I am curious if anyone knows any songs like this.  I know of two off the top of my head.  Here is one:

In 2010, British singer Taio Cruz released a song called Higher.  One version featured Australian singer Kylie Minogue, while an alternate version featured American rapper Travie McCoy.  The Minogue version charted in the UK and Canada, while the McCoy version charted in the US.

KRBS5WZMdik FrK6N4db-ik

Subject: Re: Songs with different duet vocalists

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/10/20 at 11:16 pm

The officially released hit version:

Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birken
""Je t'aime… moi non plus"
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ2bXzlh2WM

The earlier, unreleased version with Brigitte Bardot:

Serge Gainsbourg & Brigitte Bardot
""Je t'aime… moi non plus"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDkRG5eP_pk

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/20 at 11:19 pm

In 2008, Canadian rap artist Kardinal Offishall released a song titled Numba 1 (Tide is High), which is based on the song The Tide is high, originally made famous by Blondie in 1981.  Kardinal's version featured duet vocals with Keri Hilson, however a version featuring Rihanna was the one that charted in Canada, and a version released in Latin America featured Nicole Scherzinger.  The versions are easily identifiable via the opening rap verse:

Rihanna:  "Light it up, from Rihanna"
Nicole Scherzinger:  "Light it up, from Pussycat"
Keri Hilson:  "Light it up, everybody"

To my knowledge, only the Keri Hilson version had a music video

original video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvznomizYnw

version with Rihanna                                                                    version with Nicole Scherzinger
286i9qHdhZQ hxrqkkMWt10

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/20 at 11:39 pm

Here is Sleep, a fantastic 2006 single by Scottish band Texas.  The original version is a duet with Paul Buchanan, singer of the 80s Scottish band The Blue Nile.  The version used in the music video is a duet with British comedian Peter Kay.  I prefer the Buchanan version, but the music video featuring Kay is fantastic!

version with Paul Buchanan                                                          version with Peter Kay
bYujPv-TFKc&t si-vj6NdxVg

Written By: nally on 10/11/20 at 12:20 am

"Why Don't You And I" by Santana (2003) comes to mind. One version has Chad Kroeger (frontman of Nickelback) as the featured vocalist, and another version has Alex Band (of The Calling) as the vocalist.

Check for new replies or respond here...