inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dances

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/20 at 2:26 pm

Every decade has their own set of dances that everyone seems to know.

Early decades had the Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, & even the Charleston.

Then you had dances like the Jitterbug, the Lindy, etc.

The ones I remember from the '60s, were the Monkey, the Twist, the Swim, etc.

The 70s, I remember doing the Hustle and the Bump. Of course there is also YMCA.

In the 80s, it was the Moonwalk, followed by the 90s, with the Macarana.

I don't really know any of the newer ones.

So, what dances do you remember and used to dance to?

Cat

Subject: Re: Dances

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/26/20 at 4:09 pm

In the late 70's when I was in college a lot of people danced the Freak.  The song "Le Freak" refers to the dance.  I also liked doing the bump, but by my college days it was slightly passe.  Dancing, I was generally a little freestyle - I did things I saw other people do, and didn't always know the name of the dance.

One dance I greatly admired but didn't do was the Robot - made popular by Michael Jackson in the mid-70's.

In the 80's I totally danced freestyle - and that seemed fine, it was so casual then!  ;D  It seems it was around the very late 80's or early 90's when line dancing started to get popular (electric slide, etc.).

When I was a little girl in the 60's I remember the Monkey and the Twist.  There were several other popular dances but I don't remember all of them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/20 at 4:20 pm

In the late 70's when I was in college a lot of people danced the Freak.  The song "Le Freak" refers to the dance.  I also liked doing the bump, but by my college days it was slightly passe.  Dancing, I was generally a little freestyle - I did things I saw other people do, and didn't always know the name of the dance.

One dance I greatly admired but didn't do was the Robot - made popular by Michael Jackson in the mid-70's.

In the 80's I totally danced freestyle - and that seemed fine, it was so casual then!  ;D  It seems it was around the very late 80's or early 90's when line dancing started to get popular (electric slide, etc.).

When I was a little girl in the 60's I remember the Monkey and the Twist.  There were several other popular dances but I don't remember all of them.

I did a lot of free style, too. Of course with my ballet/jazz/tap background, I kind of combined just about all of it.

Cat

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/26/20 at 5:29 pm

There was break dancing which I think of as early 80s.

In the early 90s there was the Humpty Dance. I remember that from when I hung out at the teen nights.

We headbanged a lot to the hair metal that was left, but that was more popular in the 70s and 80s.

I think of the robot as what I see people doing to Mr Roboto.

Another one I remember from the late 80s or early 90s was the Lambada. At least hearing about it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/26/20 at 5:48 pm

There was break dancing which I think of as early 80s.

In the early 90s there was the Humpty Dance. I remember that from when I hung out at the teen nights.

We headbanged a lot to the hair metal that was left, but that was more popular in the 70s and 80s.

I think of the robot as what I see people doing to Mr Roboto.

Another one I remember from the late 80s or early 90s was the Lambada. At least hearing about it.

The Lambada was one of those annoying things like the Macarena and the Gangnam thing. Novelty trends not really done by people in dance clubs but more by middle aged suburban housewives at weddings. The exact same type of person that in the 70s used to say "do you know how to do the disco?".

Written By: violet_shy on 10/26/20 at 8:03 pm

The Running man, late 80s early 90s.

Written By: karen on 10/27/20 at 3:33 am

A couple of dances that seem to be purely British are the row boat to Oops Upside Your Head and the slosh. I don’t recall what song I did this to,  but on Google the popular one seems to be Beautiful Sunday by Daniel Boone.

The Birdie Song was another one danced at family parties.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/20 at 7:38 am

From what I can remember there was Moonwalking, breakdancing and The Macarena to name a few.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/20 at 3:00 pm

Let's Do the Time Warp Again.

(It's just a jump to the left...)

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/20 at 3:03 pm

From what I can remember there was Moonwalking, breakdancing and The Macarena to name a few.
The Moonwalk dates back to the 1940s with the entertainer Bill Bailey performing it on stage.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/20 at 8:13 am

The Bus Stop

Written By: karen on 10/29/20 at 8:15 am

The Bus Stop

Is that standing about in a line looking at your watch and commenting on how late the bus is?

Written By: Howard on 10/29/20 at 8:41 am

Is that standing about in a line looking at your watch and commenting on how late the bus is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH6iJgUo0co

Written By: ChristopherA.Martin on 10/29/20 at 2:07 pm

The Lambada was one of those annoying things like the Macarena and the Gangnam thing. Novelty trends not really done by people in dance clubs but more by middle aged suburban housewives at weddings. The exact same type of person that in the 70s used to say "do you know how to do the disco?".

I remember people actually saying that back then. Hilarious.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/20 at 2:51 pm

I always got the Bus Stop & the Hustle mixed up. They were done pretty much the same.

Oh, another one I forgot, The Alley Cat.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/30/20 at 8:11 am

The Macarena

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWaymcVmJ-A

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/30/20 at 8:20 am

The Macarena

To repeat:

Oh, another one I forgot, The Alley Cat.

Cat

See above.  Although, having said that, I actually had the original 45 by "Bent Fabric" in the 60s.  I also remember Liberace playing it on TV all the time as a medley with other songs (including "Chopsticks"). It was a well known piano piece.

Written By: Howard on 10/30/20 at 8:45 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZZw8NyPq8
The Ketchup Song (this came out in 2002 but not sure if you'd consider this a "dance".)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/30/20 at 2:23 pm

To repeat:

See above.  Although, having said that, I actually had the original 45 by "Bent Fabric" in the 60s.  I also remember Liberace playing it on TV all the time as a medley with other songs (including "Chopsticks"). It was a well known piano piece.

I remember learning the Alley Cat in gym in 5th grade.  And I have a hilarious video of my dad trying to do the Macarana when it was played at our wedding.

Oh, and when I was a kid. Chopsticks was one of the few things I could play on the piano (that and Frère Jacques).

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...