inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the first film you saw in the cinema?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/20 at 9:23 am

First film in the cinema?

For me it was double bill "tom thumb" and "The Wizard of Oz" seen way back in December 1964.

Subject: Re: What was the first film you saw in the cinema?

Written By: karen on 10/27/20 at 10:49 am

I couldn’t say exactly. I have an early memory of going to the Saturday Morning Picture Show and not liking being in the dark so I went and sat outside the cinema on the steps to wait for my brothers. No clue what was being shown. It may just have been cartoons rather than a specific film, as this was a weekly kids club.

I can remember queueing up to go and watch Star Wars but I had probably seen a Disney film before that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/20 at 10:52 am

I couldn’t say exactly. I have an early memory of going to the Saturday Morning Picture Show and not liking being in the dark so I went and sat outside the cinema on the steps to wait for my brothers. No clue what was being shown. It may just have been cartoons rather than a specific film, as this was a weekly kids club.

The only time I went to Saturday Morning Pictures was to receive my cycling proficiency certificate, walking on the stage in front of the audience.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/27/20 at 11:41 am

First thing I watched at the theater was Bambi. My sister was a baby so we watched several movies from this tiny upstairs room with a viewing window and a small cheap speaker.

First thing I watched in the normal part of the theater was ET. I couldn’t believe how loud it was. I preferred the baby room. Even now I’d rather watch stuff at home and use night mode to try and even out the sound.

I don’t remember what the first drive in movie was. The screen was so bright it hurt my eyes so I sat on the floor of the car and ate chocolate stars.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/20 at 11:52 am

First thing I watched at the theater was Bambi. My sister was a baby so we watched several movies from this tiny upstairs room with a viewing window and a small cheap speaker.
If my memory serves me right, "Bambi" was my son's first cinema viewing film.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/27/20 at 12:34 pm

I don’t remember what the first drive in movie was. The screen was so bright it hurt my eyes so I sat on the floor of the car and ate chocolate stars.

So cool!  :)  :)

Written By: nally on 10/27/20 at 1:43 pm

My parents took me to a drive-in feature of the animated 101 Dalmatians when I was very little, in the 1980s, but I do not have a recollection of it.

However, the first time I remember going into a sitdown theatre was in June 1990, to see Ghost Dad, a fantasy comedy film starring Bill Cosby and directed by Sidney Poitier.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/20 at 1:52 pm

I remember seeing Snow White at a drive-in. I was sitting in the "way back" and when the witch came on, I would duck behind the top of the back seat because she frightened. I don't recall the year but I must have been about 3 or 4 years old.

First film in the cinema?

For me it was double bill "tom thumb" and "The Wizard of Oz" seen way back in December 1964.

I remember Tom Thumb. I don't know when we saw that but I remember we all were humming the music from it.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 10/27/20 at 1:55 pm

The first time I went to the cinema was in 1985. My parents took me and my brother to go see The Goonies. It was like this big, epic event lol. I remember it all very clearly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/20 at 1:57 pm

I remember Tom Thumb. I don't know when we saw that but I remember we all were humming the music from it.

Cat
Strange for me, for it was Peter Sellers that would become one of the teenage favourite comedians / comic stars / film stars.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 10/28/20 at 2:27 am

This first one I can remember is 2001: A Space Odyssey which I saw at the Cinerama Theater in the summer of 1968.

e-QFj59PON4

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/20 at 8:30 am

This first one I can remember is 2001: A Space Odyssey which I saw at the Cinerama Theater in the summer of 1968.

e-QFj59PON
Interesting that you have "2001: A Space Odyessy" as you first film, for me it was the first film I was to see in many different formats, 16mm, 35mm, 70mm, VHS, and DVD, and Stanley Kubrick is my favourite film director.

Btw, my first Kubrick film was "Dr. Strangelove".

Written By: whistledog on 11/05/20 at 10:40 pm

The first one I can remember was E.T. back in 1982 at a Drive-In that has long since been torn down

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/06/20 at 1:34 am

The first movie I can remember seeing was The Apple Dumpling Gang in 1975. I have 2 older brothers and 2 older sisters, and my younger brother was born in 1975 so he was an infant at the time.

This came out at the same time as Jaws, and both movies were playing at this mulitplex theater. My oldest sister and two older brothers went to see Jaws while my other sister took me to see The Apple Dumpling Gang. I don't recall much about the movie, but what I do remember was having to go to the bathroom and while I was outside the theater I peeked into the one where Jaws was playing. All I remember was seeing a shark fin going across the water and the scary music playing and I immediately noped out of there.

I got Disney+ earlier this year and one of the first movies I watched was The Apple Dumpling Gang, which I hadn't seen since 1975. I was pleasantly surprised at how funny it was and how much I enjoyed it. Disney really was masterful at making family friendly movies that were genuinely funny and entertaining.

Written By: karen on 11/06/20 at 2:54 am

I can remember queueing up to go and watch Star Wars but I had probably seen a Disney film before that.

I have though about this some more and Bedknobs and Broomsticks is possibly the film I saw. This sort of thing would be shown in the school holidays if a children’s film wasn’t on general release, or shown during the day with the new films kept for the evening showings.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/20 at 3:07 am

The first movie I can remember seeing was The Apple Dumpling Gang in 1975. I have 2 older brothers and 2 older sisters, and my younger brother was born in 1975 so he was an infant at the time.

This came out at the same time as Jaws, and both movies were playing at this mulitplex theater. My oldest sister and two older brothers went to see Jaws while my other sister took me to see The Apple Dumpling Gang. I don't recall much about the movie, but what I do remember was having to go to the bathroom and while I was outside the theater I peeked into the one where Jaws was playing. All I remember was seeing a shark fin going across the water and the scary music playing and I immediately noped out of there.

I got Disney+ earlier this year and one of the first movies I watched was The Apple Dumpling Gang, which I hadn't seen since 1975. I was pleasantly surprised at how funny it was and how much I enjoyed it. Disney really was masterful at making family friendly movies that were genuinely funny and entertaining.
In fact, "Jaws" was the first film I got to see more than once in the cinema, three times in the space of one week, in my hometown, when visiting my cousin, and in a big cinema in central London.

Written By: ChristopherA.Martin on 11/06/20 at 11:38 am

I know the first one was The Sword in the Stone but I was very little at the time so I don't remember a lot. I do remember seeing 101 Dalmatians at a theater in 1969.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 12/30/20 at 11:15 pm

Rocky IV was the first movie I (barely) remember seeing in the theater.

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/21 at 9:31 pm

One of the first films I can remember seeing in an actual cinema, not a drive-in like I had mentioned before was Disney's The Rescuers.  I never saw it's original release as the film came out 6 months before I did lol  In December of 1983, they re-released it to theatres with a new short film, the now classic Mickey's Christmas Carol.  Here's a bit of a funny story about the theatre we used to go to ...

We lived in the suburbs, and the theatre was downtown, so we'd come down and park in a lot and walk to the cinema. The street we would walk down had a seedy strip club called The Plaza Hotel, so my mom would walk me and my brother on the other side of the street to shelter us from that kind of thing.  On that other side of the street was a building that had this basement apartment and through the curtainless window, we could see this old fat bald guy sitting on this ratty looking chair and he was wearing only a dirty pair of underwear and nothing else. 

It got to the point where whenever we would go to the movies, we would get excited to see if that guy would still be there, and he always was, just sitting there like a statue.  We would often wonder, does he even know we are there and that people can see him?  And why would we get excited to see him?  To this day, I jokingly bug my mom about it because rather than walk us on the side of the street with naked ladies, she would walk us on the side of the street with a naked fat man.  I would have rather been on the side with the naked ladies lol

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/22/21 at 10:40 pm

One of the first films I can remember seeing in an actual cinema, not a drive-in like I had mentioned before was Disney's The Rescuers.  I never saw it's original release as the film came out 6 months before I did lol  In December of 1983, they re-released it to theatres with a new short film, the now classic Mickey's Christmas Carol.  Here's a bit of a funny story about the theatre we used to go to ...

We lived in the suburbs, and the theatre was downtown, so we'd come down and park in a lot and walk to the cinema. The street we would walk down had a seedy strip club called The Plaza Hotel, so my mom would walk me and my brother on the other side of the street to shelter us from that kind of thing.  On that other side of the street was a building that had this basement apartment and through the curtainless window, we could see this old fat bald guy sitting on this ratty looking chair and he was wearing only a dirty pair of underwear and nothing else. 

It got to the point where whenever we would go to the movies, we would get excited to see if that guy would still be there, and he always was, just sitting there like a statue.  We would often wonder, does he even know we are there and that people can see him?  And why would we get excited to see him?  To this day, I jokingly bug my mom about it because rather than walk us on the side of the street with naked ladies, she would walk us on the side of the street with a naked fat man.  I would have rather been on the side with the naked ladies lol

Great story!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/23/21 at 4:43 am

Coming To America

Check for new replies or respond here...