inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which decade would you go back to if you could?

Written By: Braeden on 11/14/20 at 3:36 pm

If you had a time machine and go back to any decade 1930s-2010s temporarily, which would you pick?

Subject: Re: Which decade would you go back to if you could?

Written By: violet_shy on 11/14/20 at 3:44 pm

I would choose either the 1980s or 1990s, buuut...lol since I can only choose one decade I chose the 1980s. Best childhood ever!

Subject: Which decade would you go back to if you could?

Written By: Dude111 on 11/15/20 at 12:53 am

I picked 50s

Written By: Slim95 on 11/15/20 at 1:19 am

1950s

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/15/20 at 5:30 am

1960s.

Written By: Howard on 11/15/20 at 8:07 am

I would choose either the 1980s or 1990s, buuut...lol since I can only choose one decade I chose the 1980s. Best childhood ever!

Definitely The 1980's.

Written By: 2001 on 11/15/20 at 6:10 pm

I'm happy with where I am. This decade sounds exciting with how high-tech it started off and the debarrassment of you-know-who.

If I could go back it would be the 2010s. To keep it short, I was 17-26 years old and being gay I could have not asked for a better decade.  8)

Written By: nally on 11/15/20 at 6:25 pm

I'm happy with where I am.

Same here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/20 at 2:26 am

I would love to, but there's something wrong with the space-time continuum!

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/17/20 at 11:48 am

I love the TV, movies, and music of the 80s more than any other. However I wouldn’t want to go back. I have better and cheaper access to a lot of my favorite things today than I had back then.

I would return to the early 2000s. The internet was bare bones, fast, not as many hacker criminals. But still had everything I needed. Tons of highly active message boards, chat rooms. I did everything on a 150 MHz computer and a 26400 connection and it was fast. I met up with a lot of people from chat rooms.

The cars I love were just over 10 years old and parts were everywhere in junkyards, and there was a huge enthusiast group. Now just a handful of us remain.

C Band TV was very popular and had multiple providers to choose from. I still use it but only oddball freebies remain which is still ok.

The country seemed like a happy place with the turn of the century and the optimism. 911 was a tragedy and made permanent changes but it was followed by a surge of patriotism. So in a way things were still good.

Gas was under $2 a gallon and propane was under $1 a gallon and even though I owned a house while earning less than 25k a year I did well.

Written By: Howard on 11/17/20 at 2:30 pm

Even though I wasn't around to see it, I would love to go back to The Studio 54 era from 1975-1979 and see if I can fit into some disco attire.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/17/20 at 2:34 pm

Despite racism and some other social issues, the '50s seemed like an awesome time. It was after the World War, people were really polite and proper, the economy was solid, there wasn't all the technology we have now and not a lot of problems. I would love to go back to a 1950s Diner and order a milkshake for 30 cents. I would love to see the family units from the '50s. I'd love to see all the old architecture from that era too.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/18/20 at 8:21 pm

^

I agree with you. Even though I'd be more comfortable living with 1980s/90s technology, I wouldn't quite feel inclined to "revisit" those decades since by large, a lot of media and objects from those decades still remain quite accessible from those decades, and socially doesn't feel too terribly different, just a little less politically correct (especially with regards to the '80s). You can still hear '80s-'90s hit music on the radio today, catch many TV shows/movies from those eras, though I wouldn't mind seeing shopping malls in their prime. It's just that the very first shopping malls were actually built in the 1950s, and some were of the open-air concept. Instead of these soulless multiplex movie chains, you had those neighborhoody, yet elaborate movie palaces, and admission included a B-movie, cartoon like Looney Tunes, short subject, and a newsreel in addition to the feature. You didn't really have Entertainment Tonight-type shows, but plenty gossip and news magazines like Screen Stoires and Modern Screen. Cities were also much more human scaled and even with the early freeways, still had plenty of mom & pop businesses, with only a few chains like Woolworths and Sears. And best of all (unless if you were in Britain), many coins were made out of silver, and collecting old/rare coins was in its wonder years where there was lots of investment potential ahead. And all those early television shows that only aired once would be of a unique experience that few people today ever had the chance to see since so many shows were either live and untaped or had their tapes destroyed. People often forget that certain things that we took for granted like refrigerators, air conditioners, air travel, and pizza all first became commonplace during that decade. Even though many view the fashion of that decade as very formal based upon the images that media portray, it also had a very casual side to it, especially among the younger set and in warmer weather/climates. I'd also enjoy the first half of the 1960s just as well before Vietnam, urban riots/decay, and later bad governments set the table for the lousy '70s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/19/20 at 8:18 am

Even though I wasn't around to see it, I would love to go back to The Studio 54 era from 1975-1979 and see if I can fit into some disco attire.

Disco Howie in his tight white pants
Goes to Studio 54, he loves to dance
The music's loud, the disco ball gleams
All this happens in his dreams!
;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/20 at 2:38 pm

I wouldn't want to go back but what I would like is a magic mirror that would let me see any era. I would love to see my house how it looked when it was first built (1865). I would love to see the house I lived in when I a kid, etc. etc.

Cat

Written By: Emman on 12/03/20 at 3:25 pm

I want to go to the future, not the past, so boring.

Probably the 2270s. ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/04/20 at 8:31 am

2019, before the pandemic started and people weren't wearing masks.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/24/20 at 11:19 pm

2000s

Check for new replies or respond here...