inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why was R&B so popular in the 90s and 2000s ?

Written By: CarCar on 02/09/21 at 3:54 pm

The more time passes I don’t even group the 2000s anymore with the 2010s because they seem like such different decades now but I digress.

The fashion kinda from both decades even resembles each other, the baggiest of clothes to oversized shirts.

I mean in every sitcom and tv show you can find from the 90s or 2000s the intro is always some R&B themed song, something you don’t see anymore today. The mainstream fashion of both decades especially among the youth reflected pop stars of R&B musicians(or pop stars who added R&B aspects) such as Usher, Ne-Yo, Beyoncé, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, TLC, Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC and Boyz II Men.

Was the 90s and 2000s the era of R&B, and era that began somewhere in the early 90s and ended around the late 2000s, almost 20 years

Subject: Re: Why was R&B so popular in the 90s and 2000s ?

Written By: violet_shy on 02/09/21 at 4:09 pm

Well, R&B is a fairly new music genre. Unlike other genres that have been around for decades. I think it's because R&B was new in the 90s. And all of the artists of the time wanted to be "in". I think everyone got tired of it after a certain time(after the 2000s). Now there are all these different types of music these days!

Written By: CarCar on 02/09/21 at 4:15 pm

Well, R&B is a fairly new music genre. Unlike other genres that have been around for decades. I think it's because R&B was new in the 90s. And all of the artists of the time wanted to be "in". I think everyone got tired of it after a certain time(after the 2000s). Now there are all these different types of music these days!

Good point but trends are a thing, and I’ve noticed once we got deeper into the 2010s we switched it for this Bedroom Pop and Chilled sound that I predict will continue into the 2020s

nlcIKh6sBtc

ZmDBbnmKpqQ

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/09/21 at 4:29 pm

This is manifestly inaccurate. R&B (rhythm & blues) originated in the post-war 40s. It was absolutely huge in the 50s and 60s  and 70s as well. I think the great R&B artists of the 50s, 60s and 70s, everybody from Ruth brown to Sam Cook to Billy Paul, every band from  The O'Jays, to Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes to Jerry Bell to and Archie Bell & The Drells to the great Marvin Gaye would be upset to hear you say "R&B was new in the 90s".

Read all about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythm_and_blues

Written By: violet_shy on 02/09/21 at 5:16 pm

This is manifestly inaccurate. R&B (rhythm & blues) originated in the post-war 40s. It was absolutely huge in the 50s and 60s  and 70s as well. I think the great R&B artists of the 50s, 60s and 70s, everybody from Ruth brown to Sam Cook to Billy Paul, every band from  The O'Jays, to Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes to Jerry Bell to and Archie Bell & The Drells to the great Marvin Gaye would be upset to hear you say "R&B was new in the 90s".

Read all about it here:

That's what I meant. It's a recently evolved genre of music. And honestly, I don't care...as long as I have my fans liking my Dance, Pop, and Alternative Rock music. I don't do R&B...so who cares!!  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/09/21 at 5:27 pm

That's what I meant. It's a recently evolved genre of music. And honestly, I don't care...as long as I have my fans liking my Dance, Pop, and Alternative Rock music. I don't do R&B...so who cares!!  ;D ;D ;D

Possibly I am misunderstanding, but are you saying that if something doesn't revolve around you, you just don't care, and don't care if you perpetrate an inaccurate statement? Surely I must misunderstand. But I can't help but notice you manage to insinuate your own personal projects into every thread, no matter how unrelated.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/09/21 at 5:35 pm

Possibly I am misunderstanding, but are you saying that if something doesn't revolve around you, you just don't care, and don't care if you perpetrate an inaccurate statement? Surely I must misunderstand. But I can't help but notice you manage to insinuate your own personal projects into every thread, no matter how unrelated.

Silly! Of course I care I'm a musician. I was just being silly myself. I don't do R&B but I might someday.  ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 02/09/21 at 5:56 pm

But I can't help but notice you manage to insinuate your own personal projects into every thread, no matter how unrelated.

:\'(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/09/21 at 5:59 pm

Silly! Of course I care I'm a musician. I was just being silly myself. I don't do R&B but I might someday.  ;D

I see you playing banjo. You should take it up. Then you can accompany yourself. It doesn't have to be country, mind you. The banjo is a versatile instrument. Maye like Elle King. She's quite good.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Elle_King_at_the_2015_Interstellar_Rodeo.jpg

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/09/21 at 6:12 pm

Read all about it here:

I agree and a lot of my favorite R&B was in the 80s. Al Jarreau, James Ingram, Peabo Bryson, Jeffrey Osborne, George Benson, Luther Vandross...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/09/21 at 6:42 pm

I see you playing banjo. You should take it up. Then you can accompany yourself. It doesn't have to be country, mind you. The banjo is a versatile instrument. Maye like Elle King. She's quite good.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Elle_King_at_the_2015_Interstellar_Rodeo.jpg

Carlos used to play the banjo until arthritis got the best of him. He gave his banjo to our grandson.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/09/21 at 7:08 pm

Carlos used to play the banjo until arthritis got the best of him. He gave his banjo to our grandson.

Cat

Another legendary banjo player:

http://www.thoughtco.com/thmb/I4fFfk1xRZfGRPYCoqQJfncBPqs=/768x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Pete-Seeger-banjo-clr-3000-3x2gty-b65591caf70f429f87d5ad1fbd879245.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/21 at 2:26 am

Cat
I have always loved "Duelling Banjos" used for the soundtrack to the movie Deliverance.

Written By: karen on 02/10/21 at 3:14 pm

Was the 90s and 2000s the era of R&B, and era that began somewhere in the early 90s and ended around the late 2000s, almost 20 years

I don’t think the 90s and 00s was the era of R&B, or at least not the first era.

R&B was popular from the 1940s in the US, although it wasn’t called that at first. In the U.K. I think it was popular from the 1960s with The Rolling Stones and The Animals among the first bands to make it in the charts with this type of music.

What?  :o

Written By: CarCar on 02/10/21 at 10:41 pm

I don’t think the 90s and 00s was the era of R&B, or at least not the first era.

R&B was popular from the 1940s in the US, although it wasn’t called that at first. In the U.K. I think it was popular from the 1960s with The Rolling Stones and The Animals among the first bands to make it in the charts with this type of music.

What?  :o

I think it was the era many seem to call “Contemporary R&B” when people seemed to mix hip hop with traditional R&B and other genres, not the old school ones from like the 40s, 50s and 60s etc..

Written By: nally on 02/10/21 at 10:50 pm

Yeah, she certainly is. O0

For example, she used said instrument for her big hit "Ex's And Oh's", which is considered to be a mashup of pop rock, blues rock, and alt rock.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/21 at 5:24 am

I agree and a lot of my favorite R&B was in the 80s. Al Jarreau, James Ingram, Peabo Bryson, Jeffrey Osborne, George Benson, Luther Vandross...

same here :)

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/18/21 at 8:03 am

R&B really had two golden ages: the mid-1960s to the mid-'70s and the early '90s to the mid-2000s. It was moderately popular during the 1980s as well as the late 1950s-early '60s. The first golden age was triggered by Motown, Civil Rights/desegregation, and Black Power. The second (the subject of this thread) was fueled by the Third Way liberalism movement, the Afrocentric vibe/lifestyle, the urban renaissance, and a side of Boomer nostalgia with certain songs from that '90s/'00s wave inspired by '60s/'70s sounds as well as oldies stations repopularizing the hits of the first golden age.

What caused a bit of a decline between the two was first disco, which basically took the popular silky Philadelphia soul and funk and melded them together to promote to a mass audience, followed by the fallout of disco, which caused a "blacklash" of a lot of sounds that even remotely resembling disco, save for a few dependable, veteran artists like Diana Ross, Donna Summer, Marvin Gaye, or the Jacksons. MTV, even after it started to play Michael Jackson and Prince, didn't play a ton of R&B except for crossover pop hits, and the Urban Cowboy trend of the early '80s was another strike against R&B, since its slick style is pretty much the opposite of the country sound, where those banjos mentioned upthread were cool and not horns and synths. It wasn't totally in the gutter, as the genre had even made a brief second home on daytime soap operas, with various songs being used as love things or simply background music, in contrast to the organs that dominated soap music in earlier decades. But things started turning around later in the decade when Whitney Houston brought the popular "melisima" style to the forefront, and combined with the emergence of hip hop and New Jack Swing, it set the tone for a huge '90s/early 2000s. 

IMO that second golden age ended not due to much of a backlash, but to a lack of originality, along with the fact of a lot of "so called R&B" as the decade progressed simply merged with other genres, whether it was glam rap, crunk, or later on, electropop. What passed as contemporary R&B struggled outside of Urban AC radio as its target audience aged out of the teen/young adult demo. It was rapidly becoming a legacy genre like rock is.

Check for new replies or respond here...