inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1987 was like a preview of the 90s

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 02/19/21 at 4:56 am

-Shows like Married with Children, TMNT and Full House premiered.

-The start of trashy talk shows with Geraldo and Morton Downey Jr.

-All those celebrity sex scandals

-Proto 90s songs here and there

-The cold war was just about over

I'm sure there's probably a few more things.

-

Subject: Re: 1987 was like a preview of the 90s

Written By: violet_shy on 02/19/21 at 9:44 am

But music and fashion was still very much 80s.

Written By: Emman on 02/21/21 at 5:43 pm

Rap and heavy metal started becoming more mainstream too.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/21/21 at 5:56 pm

c1xf_RWhwso

This came out in 1987 and to me looked and sounded 90s.

But for the most part the music at the time was very 80s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/21/21 at 6:59 pm

Heavy metal was pretty mainstream in the 70s too. The original wave, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc. And, of course, Led Zeppelin.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 02/22/21 at 1:41 am

-Shows like Married with Children, TMNT and Full House premiered.

-The start of trashy talk shows with Geraldo and Morton Downey Jr.

-All those celebrity sex scandals

-Proto 90s songs here and there

-The cold war was just about over

I'm sure there's probably a few more things.

-

I disagree completely. Other than the TV show debuts you mentioned (that aren't really that representative of the 90s anyway) the things you describe are not really previews of the 90s, but are all defining aspects of late 80s culture. The Cold War was beginning to wind down with the INF treaty, but it definitely wasn't over until the fall of the Berlin Wall two years later, don't know why you'd consider celebrity sex scandals to be a sign of 90s culture nor the debut of certain trashy talk shows, and I can't think of any songs in 1987 that truly sound 90s, sure rap was becoming somewhat more prominent but it still sounded worlds apart from any rap that would soon become popular in the next few years when acts like Dr Dre, Tupac and Snoop Dogg introduced the more cutting edge sound to the genre.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/22/21 at 12:06 pm

I disagree completely. Other than the TV show debuts you mentioned (that aren't really that representative of the 90s anyway) the things you describe are not really previews of the 90s, but are all defining aspects of late 80s culture. The Cold War was beginning to wind down with the INF treaty, but it definitely wasn't over until the fall of the Berlin Wall two years later, don't know why you'd consider celebrity sex scandals to be a sign of 90s culture nor the debut of certain trashy talk shows, and I can't think of any songs in 1987 that truly sound 90s, sure rap was becoming somewhat more prominent but it still sounded worlds apart from any rap that would soon become popular in the next few years when acts like Dr Dre, Tupac and Snoop Dogg introduced the more cutting edge sound to the genre.

I was thinking the same thing about the Cold War. In 1987 people still acted like some kind of nuclear war between the US ad the USSR was still an imminent possibility. It wasn't until the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 and the end of the USSR in 1991 that the Cold war cooled off.

As for celebrity sex scandals, maybe OP meant in the 90s they started being covered more as if they were real news. Culminating with the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal in 1998 and the advent of TMZ in 2005. And, at some point along the way, TMZ somehow became considered  a "real news source". People quote "according to TMZ..." as if that's the official word on things.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/21 at 2:57 pm

It was close to the end of that old school flavor.

Check for new replies or respond here...