inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs with Famous Guest Singers/Musicians

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/21 at 11:49 am

The 1986 hit Nikita by Elton John featured an all-star line-up of George Michael (backing vocals) and Nik Kershaw (electric guitar) and also featured David Patton (lead singer of 70's band Pilot) on bass guitar and Dave Mattacks (of Fairport Convention) on drums

Tg-Q-Acv4qs

-------------------------------------

Elton John plays piano on the 1986 hit The Edge of Heaven by Wham!

cCqEyJc-wdk

Subject: Re: Songs with Famous Guest Singers/Musicians

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/21 at 11:59 am

The 1988 hit Electric Blue by Icehouse features backing vocals by John Oates, who also co-wrote the song

IUFOVu1CurM

--------------------------------------

The legendary E-Street Band sax player Clarence Clemons plays the sax solo on the 2011 hit The Edge of Glory by Lada Gaga and even appears in the music video.  He sadly passed away a month after the song was released as a single, marking his final performance on a song

QeWBS0JBNzQ

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/03/21 at 12:06 pm

"Gold" by John Stewart (1979) featured Stevie Nicks (vocals) and Lindsay Buckingham (guitar).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3KGpIoE5CY

"Billion Dollar Babies" by Alice Cooper (1973) featured the legendary Donovan on co-lead vocals. Listen to that falsetto!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2kBG5dcVtU

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/03/21 at 12:10 pm

"Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones (1969) features Merry Clayton on vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeglgSWKSIY

"You're So Vain" by Carly Simon (1972/73) features Mick Jagger on vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cleCtBP0o5Y

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/21 at 12:45 pm

The 1983 hit P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) by Michael Jackson features James Ingram on keyboard, Louis Johnson (of The Brothers Johnson) on electric bass and backing vocals from The Facts of Life star Mindy Cohn and Michael's sisters Janet and LaToya

1ZZQuj6htF4

Ian Anderson, lead singer of Jethro Tull, plays flute on the 1987 hit All Along You Knew by Honeymoon Suite

4Oq6qUrqh6E

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/03/21 at 1:23 pm

Fame by David Bowie (1975) features John Lennon on vocals and guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypgq0qdgVZA

Whatever Gets You through the Night by John Lennon (1974) features Elton John on vocals, piano and organ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFTD9O-XMw

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/03/21 at 1:24 pm

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by the Beatles (1968) features Eric Clapton on led guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI8P6ZSHSvE

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/03/21 at 1:35 pm

"Day After Day" by Badfiinger (1971) features George Harrison on slide guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-btv-7GkVk0

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/03/21 at 3:26 pm

Lou Reed
"Satellite of Love"
Check out David Bowie's vocals at the end.

"Bowie has a melodic sense that's just well above anyone else in rock & roll. Most people could not sing some of his melodies. He can really go for a high note. Take 'Satellite of Love,' on my Transformer album. There's a part at the very end where his voice goes all the way up. It's fabulous."
-Lou Reed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH2EgYq_NCY

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/21 at 3:38 pm

Here is Sittin' in the Lap of Luxury, a 1990 Top 40 hit by a singer named Louie Louie.  It features the legendary Dizzy Gillespie on the trumpet

fW6BVMEBsP8

---------------------------------------

Electronic was a duo comprised of Bernard Sumner (lead singer of New Order) and Johnny Marr (guitarist of The Smiths).  In 1990, they had a hit called Getting Away With It that features Neil Tenant of Pet Shop Boys on backing vocals.  He also appears in the music video

DSfjtdnUsls

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/21 at 3:48 pm

Daryl Hall provides backing vocals at the end of the 1984 Diana Ross hit Swept Away.  Hall co-wrote the song

fa4Y4ZhZAdE

---------------------------------------

Daryl Hall also provides vocals on the 1984 hit The Only Flame in Town by Elvis Costello and the Attractions and also appears in the music video

ugcURF7B_gw

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 05/03/21 at 4:35 pm

Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention sang on Led Zeppelin's "Battle of Evermore"

UUmd6lujmuE

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/03/21 at 4:44 pm

Sting on Money For Nothing-Dire Straits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTP2RUD_cL0

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/03/21 at 5:10 pm

Whatever Gets You through the Night by John Lennon (1974) features Elton John on vocals, piano and organ.

The legend goes, John Lennon promised Elton that if he got a number 1 hit, he'd reciprocate.  He did; here's the result:

Elton John - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (w/ a little help from John Lennon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SZ6J6fjw9w

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/03/21 at 5:56 pm

The legend goes, John Lennon promised Elton that if he got a number 1 hit, he'd reciprocate.  He did; here's the result:

Elton John - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (w/ a little help from John Lennon)

I think they had already done "Lucy In the Sky". Elton's deal was that if "Whatever Gets You through The Night" went to #1 that John would appear live with him at his (Elton's) Madison Square Garden show on Thanksgiving night 1974. The song went to #1 and John had to honor the bet. The three songs they played were "Whatever Gets You Through the Night", "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" and "I Saw Her Standing There".  There were always rumors around that Elton made SURE the song went to #1 by buying up all the singles (not personally, of course. He had people.) and forcing the song up the charts.

That night also played a special part in getting John & Yoko back together after their 18 month separation in the mid-70s, the so-called "lost weekend". Yoko went to the show and then backstage afterwards. There's a photo of it. Their eyes kind of locked and they started "dating" again shortly afterwards.  I remember watching the Grammy Awards in 1975 and seeing John & Yoko together. Up to that point nobody knew they had reconciled and they used the Grammys to basically announce it to the world in one swoop. Oh, those pre-social media times.  :-*

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/03/21 at 5:59 pm

Neil Young
"Old Man"
background vocals by Linda Ronstadt and James Taylor. Banjo by James Taylor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAtDrFdomN4

Steve Winwood
"Back In The High Life Again"
vocals by James Taylor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq40GsxIDBI

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/03/21 at 7:16 pm

I think they had already done "Lucy In the Sky". Elton's deal was that if "Whatever Gets You through The Night" went to #1 that John would appear live with him at his (Elton's) Madison Square Garden show on Thanksgiving night 1974. The song went to #1 and John had to honor the bet. The three songs they played were "Whatever Gets You Through the Night", "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" and "I Saw Her Standing There".  There were always rumors around that Elton made SURE the song went to #1 by buying up all the singles (not personally, of course. He had people.) and forcing the song up the charts.

That night also played a special part in getting John & Yoko back together after their 18 month separation in the mid-70s, the so-called "lost weekend". Yoko went to the show and then backstage afterwards. There's a photo of it. Their eyes kind of locked and they started "dating" again shortly afterwards.  I remember watching the Grammy Awards in 1975 and seeing John & Yoko together. Up to that point nobody knew they had reconciled and they used the Grammys to basically announce it to the world in one swoop. Oh, those pre-social media times.  :-*

O0 Good info!  I hadn't realized "Lucy" was done first, but that seems plausible.  As you mention it I do recall about the live appearance angle.  As far as "Whatever" going #1, to these ears the song had what it needed to go #1, no surprise whatsoever (IMO it was among the best songs on the radio at the time, and very catchy; the Elton John factor just added to the mix).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/03/21 at 7:53 pm

O0 Good info!  I hadn't realized "Lucy" was done first, but that seems plausible.  As you mention it I do recall about the live appearance angle.  As far as "Whatever" going #1, to these ears the song had what it needed to go #1, no surprise whatsoever (IMO it was among the best songs on the radio at the time, and very catchy; the Elton John factor just added to the mix).

Amazingly interesting things like this seemed to happen on a daily basis in the music world back then.

Written By: nally on 05/03/21 at 7:55 pm

Electronic was a duo comprised of Bernard Sumner (lead singer of New Order) and Johnny Marr (guitarist of The Smiths).  In 1990, they had a hit called "Getting Away With It" that features Neil Tenant of Pet Shop Boys on backing vocals.  He also appears in the music video.

Aha! I knew about Electronic being a supergroup, but I was unsure of whether Neil was a member or just a backing vocalist. Apparently he was the latter.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/03/21 at 10:08 pm

Stevie Nicks
"Stand Back"
with guest Prince on the "swirly" sounding synthesizer (played with just two fingers!) and the high vocals at the end. Stevie Nicks wrote the song based on the chords of "Little Red Corvette". (She later agreed to split the publishing rights with him).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLcPqpG4jps

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/21 at 10:32 pm

Aha! I knew about Electronic being a supergroup, but I was unsure of whether Neil was a member or just a backing vocalist. Apparently he was the latter.

He collaborated with them on more than one occasion to the point where he probably should have been an actual member.  He sang lead vocals on their 1992 hit Disappointed which was released as a single from the film Cool World starring Brad Pitt and Kim Basinger

tUTJCIPsWwE

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/21 at 10:50 pm

Speaking of Neil Tenant, he sings backing vocals on the 1992 Boy George hit The Crying Game.  The song was produced by Neil with his Pet Shop Boys partner Chris Lowe

-EPGhjxm0G0

Neil Tenant, along with Neil Hanon (of the British rock band The Divine Comedy) sing backing vocals on the 1998 Robbie Williams hit No Regrets

Yb_3Bv-kmWQ

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/21 at 11:22 pm

Beach Boy Brian Wilson sings backup on the 1990 Linda Ronstadt hit Adios.  The song also features bass guitar by former (and founding) Toto member David Hungate

LtmQat6nC_o

Madonna sings backup vocals on the 1986 hit Each Time You Break My Heart by British singer Nick Kamen.  She also co-wrote and co-produced the song

gix6cPfF3S4

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/04/21 at 12:45 am

4wxgsFA_qr0
George Harrison on guitar solo.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/04/21 at 9:39 am

John Mayer
"Born and Raised"

David Crosby and Graham Nash on harmony vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUsRCShU6PI

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/04/21 at 11:13 am

oRdxUFDoQe0
Guitar solo by Eddie Van Halen

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/21 at 11:30 am

Cat Stevens' recording of "Morning Has Broken", had a piano arrangement arranged and performed by Rick Wakeman, led to the song being known internationally. Rick Waksman, also played the prominent piano for David Bowie's "Changes", "Oh! You Pretty Things", and "Life on Mars?"

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/21 at 12:43 pm

A little known fact, according to Philip Norman's biography of Sir Elton John, when times were hard for the then-aspiring superstar, and he took whatever session work he could get, becoming in this case an indistinguishable voice in the chorus behind the melodramatic Tom Jones #2 smash hit single "Delilah."

Written By: nally on 05/04/21 at 11:19 pm

He collaborated with them on more than one occasion to the point where he probably should have been an actual member.  He sang lead vocals on their 1992 hit Disappointed which was released as a single from the film Cool World starring Brad Pitt and Kim Basinger

Totally.

Written By: nally on 05/04/21 at 11:21 pm

Weird Al's 1989 single "Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies" was a parody of the 1985 Dire Straits hit "Money For Nothing". Al's version features Mark Knopfler, frontman of Dire Straits, on guitar, and the title of the original had to be included in the title of the parody for this reason.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/21 at 1:37 pm

Weird Al's 1989 single "Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies" was a parody of the 1985 Dire Straits hit "Money For Nothing". Al's version features Mark Knopfler, frontman of Dire Straits, on guitar, and the title of the original had to be included in the title of the parody for this reason.

Weird Al often had the original performers on his parodies-like Greg Kihn on "I Lost on Jeopardy".

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/21 at 1:48 pm

Weird Al often had the original performers on his parodies-like Greg Kihn on "I Lost on Jeopardy".

Cat
I believe that he (Weird Al) had the same dancers for the "Eat It" video, as used for Michael Jackson's "Beat It".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/21 at 1:54 pm

I believe that he (Weird Al) had the same dancers for the "Eat It" video, as used for Michael Jackson's "Beat It".

Weird Al had Dr. Demento in a few of his videos-I Lost on Jeopardy & Headline News. He also had Dick Patterson on Smells Like Nirvana.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/05/21 at 2:09 pm

David Bowie
"The Prettiest Star"
original 45 version

MARC BOLAN on lead guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16A1bxJsPNY

Written By: Howard on 05/05/21 at 2:14 pm

I thought those fat guys were just paid actors in Eat It?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/21 at 2:30 pm

British singer Kirsty MacColl wrote and recorded a song called They Don't Know in 1979.  While her version was not a success, it became a world-wide hit in 1983 for British comedian/singer Tracey Ullman.  MacColl can be heard at 1:51 singing "Baby!"

f9un119lq4c

------------------------------------

In 1984, Kirsty MacColl recorded a cover of the 1983 Billy Bragg song A New England.  She originally felt the song was too short, so Billy wrote additional verses specifically for her, and even contributed guitar work and her version became a Top 10 hit in the UK

Vnzpg5GgQCo

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/21 at 2:52 pm

In 1985, famed New York producer/DJ John "Jellybean" Benitez had a popular hit called Sidewalk Talk.  The song was written by Madonna, who also can be heard singing backup and some co-lead vocals.  The main vocals are by a singer named Catherine Buchanan

WMcpYcBMLWo

----------------------------------------

The 1985 hit Wrap Her Up by Elton John is technically a duet with George Michael, but the song is only credited as by Elton.  Backup vocals are performed by Katie Kissoon, Pete "Eighteen With A Bullet' Wingfield and Kiki Dee.

George Michael and Kiki Dee can be seen in the music video.  On an interesting note, at the end of the song, Elton and George sing about famous ladies they would like to have "wrapped up" and George mentions Doris Day, whom we all know is not as bright as the sun.  I always wondered if that was a planned reference.

XFBTpRmhIFo

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/21 at 3:26 pm

British soul singer Ruby Turner sings duet vocals on the 1988 Corey Hart hits In Your Soul and Spot You in A Coalmine.  The former song reached the US Top 40 while both reached the Canadian Top 40 and marked the only time Ruby Turner reached the Hot 100 in both countries.  She can be seen in the video for In Your Soul

Corey Hart - In Your Soul (1988)
VMdm72iE2Fw

Corey Hart - Spot You on A Coalmine (1988)
W27bmkBGqT4

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/12/21 at 3:42 pm

Emmylou Harris on Bob Dylan's One More Cup Of Coffee (off the Desire album).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95cufW4h-gA

(I have always wanted to choreograph a dance to this but never did.) 

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/21 at 4:00 pm

"Coal Miner's Daughter", the song written and recorded by American singer-songwriter Loretta Lynn. It was originally released as a single in 1970 and became a number one hit on the Billboard country chart. It was later released on an album of the same name. Produced by Owen Bradley, the song tells the story of Lynn's coal-mining father in rural Kentucky during the Great Depression.

Written By: nally on 05/12/21 at 7:54 pm

"Take Me Home Tonight", a 1986 hit by the late Eddie Money, had guest vocals from Ronnie Spector (lead singer of 60s girl-group The Ronettes), particularly the phrase "Be my little baby" from her band's 1963 hit "Be My Baby."

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/21 at 3:11 am

David Crosby also sung backing vocals on Phil Collins' "Another Day In Paradise".

Btw, this page, due to the videos, made the downloading very slow.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/19/21 at 8:46 am

David Crosby also sung backing vocals on Phil Collins' "Another Day In Paradise".

I know what it’s like. I only had dialup till 2 years ago. I had to run with pictures and videos and signatures disabled.

Written By: nally on 06/19/21 at 11:52 am

I know what it’s like. I only had dialup till 2 years ago. I had to run with pictures and videos and signatures disabled.

That's why I've been placing a quote box around any vids that I put into a post. That way if someone quotes the post, the vids won't go with it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/21 at 4:19 pm

The 1986 hit Nikita by Elton John featured an all-star line-up of George Michael (backing vocals) and Nik Kershaw (electric guitar) and also featured David Patton (lead singer of 70's band Pilot) on bass guitar and Dave Mattacks (of Fairport Convention) on drums

Elton John plays piano on the 1986 hit The Edge of Heaven by Wham!

Elton John also played the piano on "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" recorded by The Hollies in 1969.

Written By: nally on 06/25/21 at 9:07 pm

Speaking of Phil Collins, he contributed to other artists' recordings, particularly with instrumentation such as drums.

Written By: whistledog on 06/28/21 at 10:11 am

Speaking of Phil Collins, he contributed to other artists' recordings, particularly with instrumentation such as drums.

Yep, he sang and played drums on the 1982 hit I Know There's Something Going On by Frida and the 1986 hit No One is to Blame by Howard Jones

He also plays drums on the 1983 hits Puss 'N Boots and Strip by Adam Ant and the 1986 hit Typical Male by Tina Turner

Written By: nally on 07/06/21 at 10:07 pm

^ Yup, I remember the first two you mentioned. (I didn't realise he contributed vocals to "I Know There's Something Going On", but I knew about his drum contribution to said recording.)

Check for new replies or respond here...