inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Humor/comedy per decade

Written By: AstroPoug on 05/17/21 at 7:14 pm

I feel as though the dominant style of humor has changed throughout the decades, but how would you really say it's changed? This is my personal perspective:
1930/1940s - Predominately slapstick-based. This was the golden age of Looney Tunes, The Three Stooges, and Tom and Jerry. It's very goofy and easy to understand, but it's also very timeless. IMO a lot of comedy from the 30s and 40s that DOESN'T involve racial stereotypes has aged quite well, especially the cartoons from back then.
1950s/1960s - Wholesome and goofy. There were pretty much no politically incorrect jokes, no raunchy humor, not even a single fart joke from back in those days. These were the days of relatable stories about families and goofy situations about them. Again, never involves sex or nudity or anything. I'll be honest and say I find a lot of 50s/60s humor kinda boring. It doesn't seem to take lots of risks from my point of view, and just this whole "holier than thou" conformist attitude has ALWAYS bugged me, especially about the 50s. Honestly, I don't know why, but I find humor from the 50s and 60s a lot more dated than 30s and 40s humor, except for the 50s Looney Tunes shorts, which are ABSOLUTELY timeless and even sometimes ahead of their time. Things did begin to change in the late 60s with the counter-culture however, which leads me to...
1970s - This decade is quite varied in terms of humor styles. The 70s had a rep for pushing boundaries compared to the previous two decades. It could be raunchy, experimental, weird, politically incorrect, whatever. Shock humor wasn't really a thing however. The 70s humor was also quite cynical and slightly dark, fitting for the times. A lot of it was snarky/witty, like in MASH and Monty Python. It seemed like except for cartoons (which sucked in this decade), humor was a lot more verbal-based compared to prior decades, and we really wouldn't see goofy slapstick be popular again until the 90s.
1980s - Cheesy, cheesy, and MORE cheesy. A lot of 80s comedies actually do hold up like John Hughes films, but the 80s in general have a rep for being quite cheesy, with tons of pop culture references and dancing (the 80s WAS the Michael Jackson decade after all). Whenever I think of 80s comedy I think of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Mario cartoons. I know those are directed towards children, but even non-child oriented humor from the 80s had this cheesy/corny vibe to it.
1990s - Boundary-pushing and crude. The 70s and 80s definitely had their fair share of crude comedies, but they absolutely dominated the 90s. It was the era of Dumb and Dumber, Beavis and Butthead, early South Park, Ren and Stimpy, and American Pie. This decade thusly gained a rep for being filled with penis and fart jokes. Even today, I think things have matured, you don't get entire games like Boogerman anymore, nor the sort of Beavis and Butthead type humor that enfused a lot of 90s culture. If it wasn't this, it was either satirical Simpsons-esque type humor, or goofy slapstick like The Mask.
2000s - Politically incorrect AF. Both the 90s and 2000s had an obsession with boundary-pushing, but whilst the 90s did it in a more juvenile gross-out sort of way, the 2000s, a decade notorious for its political turmoil, was all about stuff like Tropic Thunder, Team America, later South Park,and Borat. A lot of 2000s humor was based off shock value as well, like Freddy Got Fingered
Early 2010s - LOL RANDOM. The Nyan Cat, Adventure Time, and asdfmovie era of humor. This is when Web 2.0 became huge, and a lot of it was based off absurdism. To some extent, this still influences humor today, but not to the extent of...
Late 2010s - Quirky/awkward humor. I saw one person post about this decade's obsession with being quirky and awkward, which might've started in the late aughts with films like Juno, but it really exploded in the mid-late 2010s thanks to Tumblr and shows like Teen Wolf and Gravity Falls. To some degree, this is similar to early 2010s humor but a lot more introspective and introverted. In general I would say surrealist humor pretty much defined the 2010s, even if things have chilled since the early part of the decade.

Subject: Re: Humor/comedy per decade

Written By: CarCar on 05/17/21 at 11:17 pm

I feel as though the dominant style of humor has changed throughout the decades, but how would you really say it's changed? This is my personal perspective:
1930/1940s - Predominately slapstick-based. This was the golden age of Looney Tunes, The Three Stooges, and Tom and Jerry. It's very goofy and easy to understand, but it's also very timeless. IMO a lot of comedy from the 30s and 40s that DOESN'T involve racial stereotypes has aged quite well, especially the cartoons from back then.
1950s/1960s - Wholesome and goofy. There were pretty much no politically incorrect jokes, no raunchy humor, not even a single fart joke from back in those days. These were the days of relatable stories about families and goofy situations about them. Again, never involves sex or nudity or anything. I'll be honest and say I find a lot of 50s/60s humor kinda boring. It doesn't seem to take lots of risks from my point of view, and just this whole "holier than thou" conformist attitude has ALWAYS bugged me, especially about the 50s. Honestly, I don't know why, but I find humor from the 50s and 60s a lot more dated than 30s and 40s humor, except for the 50s Looney Tunes shorts, which are ABSOLUTELY timeless and even sometimes ahead of their time. Things did begin to change in the late 60s with the counter-culture however, which leads me to...
1970s - This decade is quite varied in terms of humor styles. The 70s had a rep for pushing boundaries compared to the previous two decades. It could be raunchy, experimental, weird, politically incorrect, whatever. Shock humor wasn't really a thing however. The 70s humor was also quite cynical and slightly dark, fitting for the times. A lot of it was snarky/witty, like in MASH and Monty Python. It seemed like except for cartoons (which sucked in this decade), humor was a lot more verbal-based compared to prior decades, and we really wouldn't see goofy slapstick be popular again until the 90s.
1980s - Cheesy, cheesy, and MORE cheesy. A lot of 80s comedies actually do hold up like John Hughes films, but the 80s in general have a rep for being quite cheesy, with tons of pop culture references and dancing (the 80s WAS the Michael Jackson decade after all). Whenever I think of 80s comedy I think of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Mario cartoons. I know those are directed towards children, but even non-child oriented humor from the 80s had this cheesy/corny vibe to it.
1990s - Boundary-pushing and crude. The 70s and 80s definitely had their fair share of crude comedies, but they absolutely dominated the 90s. It was the era of Dumb and Dumber, Beavis and Butthead, early South Park, Ren and Stimpy, and American Pie. This decade thusly gained a rep for being filled with penis and fart jokes. Even today, I think things have matured, you don't get entire games like Boogerman anymore, nor the sort of Beavis and Butthead type humor that enfused a lot of 90s culture. If it wasn't this, it was either satirical Simpsons-esque type humor, or goofy slapstick like The Mask.
2000s - Politically incorrect AF. Both the 90s and 2000s had an obsession with boundary-pushing, but whilst the 90s did it in a more juvenile gross-out sort of way, the 2000s, a decade notorious for its political turmoil, was all about stuff like Tropic Thunder, Team America, later South Park,and Borat. A lot of 2000s humor was based off shock value as well, like Freddy Got Fingered
Early 2010s - LOL RANDOM. The Nyan Cat, Adventure Time, and asdfmovie era of humor. This is when Web 2.0 became huge, and a lot of it was based off absurdism. To some extent, this still influences humor today, but not to the extent of...
Late 2010s - Quirky/awkward humor. I saw one person post about this decade's obsession with being quirky and awkward, which might've started in the late aughts with films like Juno, but it really exploded in the mid-late 2010s thanks to Tumblr and shows like Teen Wolf and Gravity Falls. To some degree, this is similar to early 2010s humor but a lot more introspective and introverted. In general I would say surrealist humor pretty much defined the 2010s, even if things have chilled since the early part of the decade.

21 jump street was the beginning of the offensive humor of the 2000s. It was a reaction towards it. Which then would lead to movies like Booksmart or Cockblockers

Team America is pretty peak 2000s humor a movie like that wouldn’t pass on the 2010s or 2020s. It was all about Bush, 9/11, Patriotism and terrorism. 

Check for new replies or respond here...