inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When do you think 1980s nostalgia will finally end?

Written By: deloresthegreat on 06/09/21 at 5:41 pm

It's June 2021, just six more months left of the year.  I believe in there being a 2-3 decades rule, so going by that rule 1980s nostalgia should be ending this decade.  But when?  This year?  Next yr?  2023?  Mid-2020s? Late 2020s?  Do you think the 1980s were just really so great that people will continue to be nostalgic for them even well into the 2030s? 

I'm honestly still pretty nostalgic about the 80s myself even though I wasn't alive back then.  I watched "The Goonies" last night and have the urge to give the 80s teen films that I loved so much in middle school (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Goonies, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, etc.) just one more watch this summer before I have to focus on succeeding in junior yr with classes and extracurriculars.  I definitely know that the 80s weren't perfect, and that if I had lived back then I would have experienced a lot of racism and that homophobia was still rampant... but the movies were so good and there was the Brat Pack and I like some of the wonky music.  Plus, a lot of 2010s media was set in the 80s since there was so much nostalgia for it, like the movie "IT" for example or "Stranger Things" (which I'm still so in love with, can't wait for season 4 to come out) that it makes it really tough to just... stop thinking about the 80s even though I also very much feel the vibe of the 90s and know that we'll probably be feeling 2000s nostalgia vibes in the next few yrs

Subject: Re: When do you think 1980s nostalgia will finally end?

Written By: CarCar on 06/09/21 at 9:58 pm

It's June 2021, just six more months left of the year.  I believe in there being a 2-3 decades rule, so going by that rule 1980s nostalgia should be ending this decade.  But when?  This year?  Next yr?  2023?  Mid-2020s? Late 2020s?  Do you think the 1980s were just really so great that people will continue to be nostalgic for them even well into the 2030s? 

I'm honestly still pretty nostalgic about the 80s myself even though I wasn't alive back then.  I watched "The Goonies" last night and have the urge to give the 80s teen films that I loved so much in middle school (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Goonies, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, etc.) just one more watch this summer before I have to focus on succeeding in junior yr with classes and extracurriculars.  I definitely know that the 80s weren't perfect, and that if I had lived back then I would have experienced a lot of racism and that homophobia was still rampant... but the movies were so good and there was the Brat Pack and I like some of the wonky music.  Plus, a lot of 2010s media was set in the 80s since there was so much nostalgia for it, like the movie "IT" for example or "Stranger Things" (which I'm still so in love with, can't wait for season 4 to come out) that it makes it really tough to just... stop thinking about the 80s even though I also very much feel the vibe of the 90s and know that we'll probably be feeling 2000s nostalgia vibes in the next few yrs

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=39395.0

Here’s to add some perspective on this question based around the 70s decade which is now just entering its 50s. A decade full of events now considered historical, jeez I think today’s parents were actually born in the 70s.

Sometime from now people are gonna see that the best media about the 80s isn’t even from the 80s but from the 2010s kinda like “That 70s Show”. It’s about the 70s just from a 90s perspective lol

The 80s have entered they’re historical age

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/21 at 4:27 am

For me, the 1980s are not historical or even nostalgically, especially when I lived through that era.

I consider 'historical' beyond the time of living memory, i.e. like now World War One and before.

Written By: CarCar on 06/10/21 at 7:23 am

For me, the 1980s are not historical or even nostalgically, especially when I lived through that era.

I consider 'historical' beyond the time of living memory, i.e. like now World War One and before.

I mean you lived through it that’s why you don’t consider it historical, what about those who only know the 80s from history books/music videos/movies ?

The 80s aren’t far from being 50 years ago considering it’s turning 40 now

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/21 at 9:51 pm

It won't ever end as long as people are alive who lived through that time they will always be nostalgic for it. We even still see 1970s nostalgia in places with funk music revivals (of the likes of Bruno Mars) and stuff like that. When the generation that lived through it starts dying off or are really old in age, that's probably when the nostalgia will end.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/21 at 9:53 pm

I mean you lived through it that’s why you don’t consider it historical, what about those who only know the 80s from history books/music videos/movies ?

The 80s aren’t far from being 50 years ago considering it’s turning 40 now

1980s are retro but not ancient.

Written By: CarCar on 06/13/21 at 11:17 pm

1980s are retro but not ancient.

Not yet anyways

I predict that by 2040 we will see a decline in 1980s nostalgia when people who were 18 in 1985 turns 73. The same way we have seen a decline in 60s nostalgia due to people in that cohort aging, retiring and passing away. People’s closest good quality interpretations of what life was like in the 80s is by movies made in later decades like the 2010s, conversations with kids now adults raised by 80s teen parents.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/16/21 at 9:47 am

Oh my god. But, aren't you missing out on your own times? :-\\

This is one of the reasons I am glad I grew up in the 1990s. We didn't care about 60s or 70s nostalgia. We did our own thing. My parents were into the whole 70s nostalgia thing because they grew up in the 70s. So, they did play 70s music when I was growing up. But, I stuck with my own music and movies. Everyone did.

Check for new replies or respond here...