inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It's difficult being a part of Generation Z rn

Written By: deloresthegreat on 06/11/21 at 1:52 am

Bc everyone's nostalgic for decades I never grew up in and I really REALLY dig the vibe of those decades but also time is passing by so fast and 80s nostalgia will go out of style before we know it and I can just FEEL how things are changing it's crazy

I was born in 2005 and wonder what 2010s nostalgia will look like

Subject: Re: It's difficult being a part of Generation Z rn

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/21 at 3:06 am

Bc everyone's nostalgic for decades I never grew up in and I really REALLY dig the vibe of those decades but also time is passing by so fast and 80s nostalgia will go out of style before we know it and I can just FEEL how things are changing it's crazy

Just wait till you reach my age, time will pass by even quicker.

As for nostalgia, I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/12/21 at 10:12 pm

It's difficult being a part of Generation Z rn

I get what you're saying.  But recognize, nostalgia for one's time doesn't happen at the time, but later.

Being 1960 born, the 1970s were my late childhood, teens and earliest adulthood.  At the time I enjoyed pop culture, imperfect as it was.  But I didn't think then, "how lucky I am to have a claim on this great 1970s pop culture".  Rather, I habitually turned on my radio and expected to hear something good; same with TV.  There was some garbage in pop culture then too - stuff I by and large forgot.  Definitely more good than bad.  Then you might be surprised to learn that by the late 1970's, I was actively collecting 1960's music (I was more or less alone in that interest, judging by how little I paid for 60s music then).  Plus an interest in 1950s-style music had invaded pop culture by then and caught my ear somewhat; I had zero claim on that decade (I wasn't even born then).  The 1980s came and went; as a 20-something I consumed, but always thought pop culture lost a step, even as I was still quite engaged.  Incidentally, during the 1980s my interest in both 1960s and 1950s music exploded (it was popular then as "oldies", too).  By the 1990s, I'd lost interest in much of the current 1990s pop culture, and had an increased longing to hear the music I grew up with (1970s).  Not just because it was good IMHO, but because it was familiar, the "soundtrack of my life".  1960s and 1950s music weren't the "soundtrack of my life", but the music appealed to my taste.

All this to say, your taste is what your taste is - embrace it.  As far as music, it's all a matter of what sounds good to you.  No need to worry about what 2010s nostalgia will look like in the future, because after a while you'll look back on it because it's familiar more than because it's popular.  (Perhaps the parts you don't like, you'll forget about too - who knows.)  And if you like music from before when you were born, it might just mean that you have good taste.  :)

Written By: Contigo on 06/14/21 at 7:23 pm

It's difficult being a part of Generation Z rn

I get what you're saying.  But recognize, nostalgia for one's time doesn't happen at the time, but later.

Being 1960 born, the 1970s were my late childhood, teens and earliest adulthood.  At the time I enjoyed pop culture, imperfect as it was.  But I didn't think then, "how lucky I am to have a claim on this great 1970s pop culture".  Rather, I habitually turned on my radio and expected to hear something good; same with TV.  There was some garbage in pop culture then too - stuff I by and large forgot.  Definitely more good than bad.  Then you might be surprised to learn that by the late 1970's, I was actively collecting 1960's music (I was more or less alone in that interest, judging by how little I paid for 60s music then).  Plus an interest in 1950s-style music had invaded pop culture by then and caught my ear somewhat; I had zero claim on that decade (I wasn't even born then).  The 1980s came and went; as a 20-something I consumed, but always thought pop culture lost a step, even as I was still quite engaged.  Incidentally, during the 1980s my interest in both 1960s and 1950s music exploded (it was popular then as "oldies", too).  By the 1990s, I'd lost interest in much of the current 1990s pop culture, and had an increased longing to hear the music I grew up with (1970s).  Not just because it was good IMHO, but because it was familiar, the "soundtrack of my life".  1960s and 1950s music weren't the "soundtrack of my life", but the music appealed to my taste.

All this to say, your taste is what your taste is - embrace it.  As far as music, it's all a matter of what sounds good to you.  No need to worry about what 2010s nostalgia will look like in the future, because after a while you'll look back on it because it's familiar more than because it's popular.  (Perhaps the parts you don't like, you'll forget about too - who knows.)  And if you like music from before when you were born, it might just mean that you have good taste.  :)

In agreement 100% and my age is comparable
to yours ( I'm a couple of years older)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/14/21 at 8:29 pm

I'm noticing a certain pattern in your posts. Like in the other topic you posted wondering  what it would be like in the 2030s and 2040s and if there would be a "nostalgia" for NOW. It's like you're hedging your bets so that when you get there in the 2030s you won't have to think about it because you can live in the comforting nostalgia of the 2020s that will be big in the 2030s. Yet here you are today in the 2020s but are worried that the "nostalgia" of the 1980s is rushing by too fast. Please forgive me if I'm a little confused by all this.  I mean, how do you know that when you get to the 2030s you won't just LOVE them? Why wonder if the 2030s will be obsessed with the 2020s?

And the other side of that coin...if you're so into the 80s and are worried that whatever the heck this "nostalgia" is for it is rushing by so fast, what's to stop you from being into the 80s (or whatever decade) ANYWAY? Does it always have to be some kind of organized, cultural "nostalgia"? What's to stop you from just going to Spotify (or wherever) and listening to some 80s band regardless of what the current cultural "nostalgia" is? I've still got my entire record collection that I started back in the 60s and I listen to whatever I want whenever I want. Why pay attention to any "cycles" or "nostalgia" or anything like that? Do what you want.

Check for new replies or respond here...