inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Emo wasn't taken over by electropop/hip hop, but indie

Written By: GuapitoChico on 07/20/21 at 2:44 am

A common sentiment I noticed in generationology communities is that emo died out because pop/hip hop overtook it, and I disagree, because the latter genres' popularity was always bigger.

Emo as we know it in the 2000s was huge and on the fringes of the mainstream, but NEVER the dominant genre (Besides, emo kids weren't the popular ones. In fact, we were often bullied and made fun of). It makes no sense to say that emo was replaced by electronic pop and rap, because dominant genre in the 00s was already always pop/hip hop to begin with - the top hits were always the likes of Britney Spears, Ciara, Usher, and the like. Take a well-represented sample of kids and teens of the 2000s, put them in a party and you could confidently predict that there'd be more people singing along to the likes of Fergalicious than, say, I Write Sins Not Tragedies.

Bottom line is that while emo was a major genre subculture, but it was never the main "in-thing"; it was always pop/hip hop in the 2000s-early 2010s. Secondary popular genres (and their associated subcultures) come and go; that's just how things are. Subcultures and their associated genres of music are always are second to the main culture; that's why they've got "sub" as a prefix. Now, it makes more sense to say that emo lost to indie-hipster as the latter became the large subculture in the early-mid 2010s.

Subject: Re: Emo wasn't taken over by electropop/hip hop, but indie

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/21 at 5:54 am

Did you know that Emo used to be Elmo until they told him to get the L out of here?

https://media.tenor.com/images/6fb44569a97c7cdd60bcf0b617dae8f4/tenor.gif

Written By: Ripley on 07/20/21 at 2:46 pm

I feel this makes since. I’m Goth, though I always enjoyed Emo music. Just thinking about the trends at Hot Topic, it was always a place for Alts (I consider both goth and emo alternative people). When Indie became popular the stores turned very Hispster, at least here in Kansas. Now it’s a mix of stuff but nothing like it used to be. I know you weren’t referring to the stores,  but to me looking at the changes there makes since with what you said.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 07/21/21 at 1:48 pm

The cliche is that emos became hipsters. Fashion-wise, they do overlap a bit (faux redneck clothing etc)

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 08/01/21 at 8:42 am

we were often bullied and made fun of

You are another one of us?

Written By: RG1995 on 08/05/21 at 9:24 am

I'm just going off memory here, but even as like an 11 year old in 2006-07 (peak of the genre), "Emo" was sort of an insult to call someone.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/05/21 at 11:52 am

Emo was replaced by hipsters and scene.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/05/21 at 1:27 pm

Emo was replaced by hipsters.

That's what they say, but hipsters always seemed older than emo people to me. Seemed like they had more money too.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/05/21 at 1:47 pm

That's what they say, but hipsters always seemed older than emo people to me. Seemed like they had more money too.

Becuase hipster came after. Emos grew up and became scene and hipster when the fad died.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/05/21 at 2:13 pm

Becuase hipster came after. Emos grew up and became scene and hipster when the fad died.

Emos grew up to be hipsters? What a sad fate. They should have stayed emo. Who knew hipsters were emos with facial hair?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 08/05/21 at 4:23 pm

Emos grew up to be hipsters? What a sad fate. They should have stayed emo. Who knew hipsters were emos with facial hair?

A sad fate is something I would agree with, but the fact that many hipsters have their scalp hair parted in the middle seems to indicate that not all hipsters are former Emos.

Check for new replies or respond here...